thirteen

strange love

Jungkook
wow jerk you left me with jimin ???

Taehyung
you say that like it's a bad thing

Jungkook
oh its very far from BAD but like you ditched me to go on a date with seokjin ? :( i thought we lived by "bros before hoes"

Taehyung
seokjin is the bro here and you're the hoe

Jungkook
SAVAGE

Jungkook
don't 'bro' seokjin after having a wet dream about him. youre really noisy at night

Jungkook
you completely disregard your 'no swearing' policy when youre dreaming

Jungkook
if your dreams are SO intense that they make you say those things then wtf i want to see

My face flares a bright red and I tilt my phone away from Seokjin whose eyes are kept on the road. He glances at me for a short while, raising an eyebrow. "Is something wrong?"

I shake my head, turning away to face the window. "Nothing."

"You're so red. What on earth did you see?" his tone is light, coming to a stop as he parks the car.

"Nothing," I say again, eyes screwed shut as I try to forget possible images of Jungkook laughing at—no.

"Don't sleep now," this time his voice comes from right in front to me and I realize that he opened the door for me. "Are you okay?"

"I just remembered something really really embarrassing." It's not a complete lie, but my embarrassment is clouding my honesty enough for me to care. Hey, don't laugh—imagine having filthy dreams about the person you're with right now and your best friend is there to witness you and the noises you make. It's not so fun, now, is it?

I open my eyes, hands cupping my cheeks like it'll help save me from my own embarrassment. Seokjin is taking something out from the trunk, and I follow suit, trying to forget.

"So, how is it that no one has followed you here?" I ask, looking around at the empty parking lot. "Aren't there supposed to be sasaengs or something?"

"The windows are highly tainted and I took a route no one really goes to," he explains, taking out a basket and 2 liters of water.

"You really know Daegu," I say, reaching out to take the hose that he left in the trunk. Why on earth would we need a hose?

"Daegu was the place my life began," he says, shutting the trunk and gesturing to the back entrance. "Come in."

"Um, but aren't we supposed to go through the main entrance and pay the fee?" I ask, a mortified expression on my face. I thought I saw his eyes soften for a while.

"Nope," he says, a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"This is illegal," I hiss, but he tugs on my wrist and walks to the back door.

"It's their fault for not hiring security guards or even installing CCTV cameras back here. They're careless," he grins, "besides, I won't do anything that will put you in danger, Taehyung," he reassures me, smiling. My heart flutters at the sight and the way he says my name. The boy is straight from a shoujo manga and I love it.

He presses the button to a rickety elevator. Under this tower's luxury and quality equipment, they're hiding this rusty elevator whose doors squeak with every move. I'd take it over the stairs, though. 

"So, you said your life began in Daegu," I say, stepping in the elevator, "but you were born in Anyang."

"Yeah, but things happened and we ended up here. A lot of my first times were made in this place," he says, pressing the elevator button to the highest floor.

"First times?"

"Oh, no, not like that," he laughs, shaking his head and for a moment, my eyes are set on the smile that plays on his lips, how his throat moves when he laughs and the set of his jaw from this angle. It's unfair. "I mean like, my first date. Like that."

"Ah," I nod, watching his hand toy with the buttons of the floors we'd already passed. I raise an eyebrow. "So we grew up in the same place."

He smiles softly. "We did."

"Did we ever know each other?"

He shrugs.

I'm watching him again, the sounds of the elevator shaking and the ropes pulling the only thing filling in the silence between us. His eyebrows are shaped so nicely and his skin is so perfect, even without all the makeup. He's so... pretty.

I hear a ding and the elevator doors open, and he picks up the basket, his hand blocking the doors so they wouldn't close when I walked out. The little things are just so heartwarming and my grip on the hose loosens a bit more as I watch him walk up a set of stairs leading to double doors. I stay behind him for two reasons. One, I don't know where we're going, and two, I get to admire his from this angle.

"Here we are," he says, pushing the doors open and we're exposed to Daegu. The slightest hint of stars are beginning to peek out on the dark parts of the sky, the moon's glow showing off half of Seokjin's face. Damn. I could get used to this.

Seokjin is leaning over the railing, looking over the city lights and the people walking by. "Come here," he pats the spot beside him, "you have to see this."

"I have a rather childish fear of heights," I say again, word per word, my feet glued to the floor near the double doors. "No way."

"It's way too pretty out there for you not to see it. Come on."

"It's already pretty from where I'm standing. The person with the black hair and the oversized sweater looks amazing," I say, admiring his stance from here. Gosh. It really is beautiful.

"Don't compliment me in hopes that I won't drag you over here," he says. "Please?"

"... Fine," I give up after 0.2 seconds because it's Seokjin.

And he wasn't lying. The lights were gorgeous from up here and every person walking by looked like little ants, in their thick coats and their bonnets. Seokjin puts the basket on the railing, opening it to reveal... water balloons?

He takes one in his hand, groping lightly for a few seconds before he throws his arm back and tosses it downwards.

I gasp. "Seokjin, are you crazy?!" My eyes follow the balloon as it flies down and hits someone square on the head.

"This was your idea," that mischievous look appears again and he tosses a balloon at me. "Your turn."

"This is so weird. You take me out after your concert, we illegally enter a skyscraper, and we throw water balloons at people?" I ask incredulously, staring at the balloon.

"Well, threw a water balloon at someone. You didn't, and that's unfair," he says, and I squeeze the balloon lightly.

Well, I thought I squeezed it lightly until it explodes all over me, wetting the hoodie I was wearing as well as my jeans. And my shoes. And my face. I'm just thankful that my phone remains unaffected.

Seokjin bursts into laughter, throwing his head back and I shake in my place, partly from the cold air and partly from laughter at Seokjin's laughter. It's so amusing, how his laugh sounds like cloth scraping dirt off a windshield, and how I can't stop comparing his laugh to cloth scraping dirt off a windshield.

I glare at him, grabbing a balloon of my own and I throw it straight at him, watching the water spray over his clothing. And it just continues, throwing water balloons at each other, sometimes at other people—and I'm shivering, laughing, and throwing all the same.

"Hey!" an unfamiliar voice shouts at us and we freeze in our (rather awkward) position, with Seokjin's arm on my waist and my hand on his drenched torso, and I do the first thing I can think of—throw a water balloon at the security guard.

And we're running, leaving trails of water on the steps of the stairs, sometimes slipping and sometimes tripping, but we're just running 57 floors to get to the ground. We burst out the doors and run to the car, not caring about the shoe I'd left behind and the water dripping down and dampening the car seats.

He's still laughing, and I'm still laughing, and we're both still laughing despite the coldness and the discomfort of our clothes sticking to our bodies.

"Your phone's in the basket, by the way," he says after finally coming back to his senses, the outcome of a water balloon fight and running 57 floors down finally catching up to him. "That was exhausting."

I'm still smiling widely despite the burn in my lungs and the pain in my legs. "Where are we going now?"

"Wherever you wanna go," he shrugs, wiping the water off of his forehead with the sleeve of his equally wet sweater. That doesn't work.

"We need to take a shower before we get sick," I say, taking my phone from the basket.

"We need to take a shower? Like, together?" he winks exaggeratedly at me again, and I roll my eyes.

"I already can't walk in this state." The words leave my mouth before my mind even processes them and I slap myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

But he's just laughing, though. "Are we going home, then?"

"You can stay at my place for the night. If you're allowed," I suggest, unlocking my phone.

"I don't think I can. We have a fanmeet tomorrow," he says, "and it's 11 already."

"Oh, okay," I nod, seeing 12 messages from Jungkook. I groan.

Jungkook
hey wtf where are you now its like

Jungkook
9 pm

Jungkook
WHAT ARE YOU AND SEOKJIN DOING

Jungkook
SERIOUSLY you guys have been out for HOURS

Jungkook
jimin is already making up scenarios with me

Jungkook
this is actually super fun this is like vocal fanfiction

Jungkook
IM A GENIUS

Jungkook
I MADE A SHIP NAME FOR YOU GUYS

Jungkook
it's seokhyung

Jungkook
jimin seems to disagree with me because he likes taejin better

Jungkook
ask seokjin which one he prefers lol

Jungkook
pls let it be seokhyung

Jungkook
in case you two ever get married just make sure to invite us to your wedding because we ship you guys a lot and your ship name is courtesy to us

Jungkook
ok i trust seokjin with you so just reply when u can

Taehyung
wow weirdo. i'm at the building so come pick us up before seokjin sees what a mess my apartment is

Jungkook
our apartment****

"We're here," he says, parking the car and turning off the engine. I don't want to leave.

"I don't wanna go yet," I pout, sinking into his wet car seat as he closes his door behind him.

"You have to. Come on, I'll walk you," he says, opening the door to my side. He takes my remaining shoe off and slips on a much larger pair.

"What on earth—"

He takes my remaining right shoe with him and I look down at his shoes on my feet. "You left your shoe at the tower."

"You're an idiot."

"So be it."

"You're going home barefoot!"

"And?" He takes my hand and walks me to the entrance where Jungkook is waiting. "Hi, Jungkook."

"Hey," he smiles, giving me a knowing look as he sees our intertwined fingers.

"So, um," I begin, and Jungkook takes the signal and heads to the elevator without us. "Thank you for tonight."

"Thank you, too," he pulls me into a quick hug and my heart thumps against my ribcage, the sound of my own heartbeat filling up my ears. It's uncomfortable and weird, our wet clothes pressed up against one another, but there's no place I'd really rather be.

"I'll see you when I see you," I say when we pull away, and we're just staring at one another again.

"Okay."

"Okay. And I'm sorry for getting your car seat and hoodie wet."

"I got my car seat and hoodie wet too," he laughs. "It's not my car anyway. It's alright."

"And lastly, I'm sorry for making you go barefoot. I'm literally just in front of my house and you still have a long way to go but you're so stubborn and you won't let me return your shoes."

"I have thousands of shoes, Taehyung. Don't worry about me."

I sigh. "Alright. Be careful, okay?"

"You too."

I watch him walk back barefoot to his car and he drives off, the car disappearing along the highway.

"Are you coming or not?" Jungkook's voice brings me back to here and I let out a deep sigh, walking to the elevator.

"Today was the best day of my life."

"Yes, well, you two are wet and your hair looks terrible. I bet it was the best day of your life," he puts an arm over my shoulders. "Congratulations, babe."

"Don't babe me. What happened with Jimin?"

"I'll tell you tomorrow, but for now," the elevator dings and he unlocks the door to my–our—house, "just go take a warm shower and rest."