nineteen

strange love

"Originally, I was planning to just buy a remote control flying helicopter toy, but I had a much greater idea. Do you wanna hear it?" he asks, scanning the aisle of shovels (I don't know what this store is but I guess it was really going for the convenience thing).

"Uh, yeah, but I want to know what you were planning to do with the flying helicopter toy first."

"You mentioned that you had a Grim Reaper costume, so I thought we should attach that to a flying helicopter toy so we could fly it with a remote and chase people around with it and give them the biggest scare of their lives. We could have just bought it tomorrow since no one walks around at 2 AM, but I was half-asleep when I made the decision to walk all the way here."

"You don't show much of your evilness onscreen, do you?" I raise an eyebrow, stunned.

"It adds to my charm, doesn't it?" he grins cheekily, and I roll my eyes.

"Sure. So what's this brilliant idea of yours?"

"See that cashier over there?" He turns his head to the direction of the counter, and I see a pretty normal-looking guy in a hoodie wearing earphones. He's probably a student just working here as a part-time job and had to work the late shift.

"Yeah, what about him?"

"Let's scare him."

"No. That's bad."

"Great, I knew you'd be up for it. So," he starts, and I look at him in disbelief. "We're playing The Thirty Dollar Game. Well, if you do the math, that's thirty-seven thousand something won, but thirty dollars is easier to say."

"Okay, so what is The Thirty Dollar Game?" I ask, because honestly, I'm lost.

"We spend up to thirty dollars each buying sinister and outlandish items. Basically, we freak out the guy at the cash register and convince him that we're up to something terrible. For example, a shovel, duct tape, a trash bag... But only up to thirty dollars. In won," he explains.

"Where do you even get these ideas? I thought I was weird."

He looks at me with a pout.

"Fine. What does the winner get?"

"His 30 dollars-in-won back, of course, and whoever loses has to pay for the next date."

"So there will be a next date." My smile turns into a sly smirk. "You're on."
 

I had picked out a bag of candy, Dora the Explorer bandaids and an Exacto knife. Seokjin got a zucchini, vaseline and a Father's Day greeting card. It was pretty clear, judging from the cashier's face, to see who won.

"This was your idea, of course you know how to win." I pout, getting back inside the trolley cart while I fished for change in my pockets.

"Yours was weird, alright, but mine was something to think about," he batted his eyelashes at me, pushing the trolley cart as he began to walk. "No, don't worry. I don't need thirty dollars. In fact," he pulls out four ₩1,000 bills, "here's your money back."

"No, it's just thirty dollars," I shake my head.

"I made you play the dumb game, the least I can do is give it back to you."

"No."

"I'm paying for the next date, anyway. It was inevitable," he smiles sheepishly, and I end up smiling with him too.

"I'm still not taking your money."

"Alright," he shrugs, folding it neatly and stuffing it in his pocket, still pushing the trolley.

The rest of the walk was quiet, a rare thing for the two of us since Seokjin and I find anything and everything there is to talk about. I rest my head on the uncomfortable metal.
 

There is drool on my cheek.

I crack open one eye to see Seokjin, still sound asleep, my thick blanket wrapped around us. I wipe the drool off and flip my pillow over. Ew, Taehyung... I can't believe you, why does Seokjin even bother with you?

I stretch, untangling my legs from Seokjin's. How did we even get here? The last thing I remember was sleeping in the trolley cart.

I turn to face Seokjin. Seriously, even in the morning, he looks flawless. How does he even do that?

I sit up, my attention still focused on Seokjin. My eyes follow the steady rise and fall of his chest, the length of his eyelashes casting shadows on his cheeks, his lips slightly parted. Wow. Look at this human being.

"Are you just going to stare at me until I pretend to wake up?" My heart jumps at the first three words and I nearly fall off the bed. "That was scary. You were just staring!"

"How am I supposed to take my eyes off of a really gorgeous guy I woke up next to? That was one of the best shows of my life and I only watched you breathe, and it was free of charge!"

"Anything else that's free of charge?"

"... I can get you off for free," I mumble, and Seokjin raises an eyebrow. What? I say anything that comes to mind. Get used to it.

"What did you say?"

"Nothi—"

"Just kidding," he straddles me, hands on my hips. "I heard you."

My breath hitched in my throat, his face mere inches away from mine. Help. I think I might die. Please help me. My head hurts from the sudden rush of blood that washed through me and I don't know where I am, lost in the dark brown eyes that look down at me. Help.

"We can arrange that," and the rest was blurred and I feel so lightheaded and nice and I'm—
 

"We're here." There's gentle patting on my shoulder and I open my eyes to see that I'm still in the trolley cart and it's still 3:45 AM and my dreams are still not true to life.

My legs feel numb, probably from folding them for so long inside the cart. "Seokjin," I pout childishly, "Let's stay here."

"We can't fit the cart inside the elevator."

"We'll make it fit," I wink at him in a way that's not flirty, bordering more on awkward and laughable.

"Sure. We'll need lots of prep."

That shuts me up, and I get up from the cart. Then there's a hand on my lower back and I jump, the wheels on the cart moving. "Yah, where do you think you're touching?!" I swat his hand away.

"I was going to carry you but it seems that you've rejected my generous offer."

"Wait, I'm sorry. Do that again."

"Do what again?"

"Stop it."

He's laughing when he scoops me up into his arms and begins walking to the entrance of our building. This is where I want to be.