Mr. Professional

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note: While conversations in this story are mostly in Korean, readers will be alerted to the presence of conversations in other languages. In this chapter, italics for conversations in Japanese.


 

August 2: 2pm, Coex Hall, Seoul

Hayaley has spent the last few days meeting with Director Han, Director Park Chan Woo (Lighting Director) and Director Im Hyung Sik (Stage Director). The stage design for the Showcase and the rest of the concert venues have been set but they have to incorporate Hayaley’s design. She had sent Director Yoon her design that was inspired by ‘Creation’. She was hopeful but did not expect them to agree to her idea. She is looking at that particular stage set-up now. She smiles, satisfied.

She has gotten to know Director Han quite well in the short time she has spent with him and understands why he is so loved by the staff. He has been very kind and has helped her settle in with the rest of the tour staff. She knows it may still be a long way to them fully trusting her but it’s a good start. She has taken the time to apologize to the current audio crew for not retaining them. She had limited time to put her audio plans together and decided that her team whom she has worked with for four years would be best for this project.

She turns to the commotion at the entrance. The JYJ members have arrived. Her eyes are drawn to Jae Joong. “He looks great,” she thought to herself. Then, immediately scolds herself, “Stop, Hayaley! He’s a celebrity. Remember how you feel about celebrities?”

“Hyung, your stalker is here.”

“Hmm?”

“The new Audio Director,” Jun Su whispers again.

Jae Joong glances at Hayaley, who he caught staring at him but had quickly turned her eyes away.

The Showcase is a success the next day. It's bittersweet for everyone since they have to bid farewell to Director Han. Everyone goes out for drinks after except Hayaley. Of course she gets a scolding from Seung Hoon-oppa and makes a note to herself for future reference - it is rude not to attend staff outings.

She drives to Olympic Stadium, wanting to take another look at the venue prior to her crew’s arrival. This is a new venue and a big one. It will also be JYJ’s first concert to kick-off the Asia Tour. All these coupled with having to meet or exceed everyone’s expectations can be a little burdensome.

There are some crew there, moving equipment and they are surprised to see her. She visualizes the plan in her mind and when she's done, she felt more relaxed. This is going to be the showcase of her first work in Korea and it is surprisingly exciting. She cannot wait to get started.

 

August 7: 11pm, Olympic Stadium, Seoul

Rehearsal was supposed to have started earlier but everyone is running late. The final touches got added right when JYJ arrives. Director Im quickly does a stage walk-thru with JYJ and then they have a short meeting with Hayaley to make sure the sound is set-up exactly the way they want it. She points out the monitors to the JYJ members and tells them it will be her voice they’ll be hearing for the cues.

After she steps away, Yoo Chun whispers to Jae Joong and Jun Su, “I think you are wrong about her. She seems quite professional to me.”

Halfway through the rehearsal, Hayaley requests a break and goes to Jae Joong to check out his transmitter. He is lounging on a chair. She kneels beside him, “Could you hear me well?”

He leans in and says, “Yes but it started to go in and out towards the end.”

“Can I see the transmitter, please?”

He reaches into his ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter