Unexpected

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

August 25: 2pm, Lobby, The Shilla, Jeju-do

Jae Joong's eyes widen in astonishment as he sees a familiar face. He had come to Jeju with Ahn-Jjang and some friends to relax for a few days. Hayaley was the last person he expected to see here! He was going to use the next few days to clear his mind and get a better grip on his emotions. He knows what he needs to do but when she’s right next to him, his wits seem to get a little jumbled. Like that night, it was totally uncharacteristic of him to do that. Ahn Jjang was right, it was a very bad idea, and foolish on his part.

Ahn-Jjang had questioned him the next day, “How well do you know her? How can you trust her?? This could have been a disaster! It still could,” his voice slightly raised and he is obviously upset. Jae Joong knows that it’s because he cares and his loyalty to Jae Joong is unmatched. So he is probably more upset with himself for not standing his ground and getting Hayaley out of his room.

“Well, it’s done now. I’m sorry. Wanna go to Jeju with me tomorrow?”

Going to Jeju was the last thing Hayaley would have planned for the short few days of rest before the next leg of the concert tour. She was hoping to kick the cold before Vietnam. But Ji Hoon had other ideas. He had picked her up from the airport yesterday and on the drive between Incheon and Seoul, managed to talk her into coming with him. He promised to pay for her flight and room, and convinced her that the clean, rejuvenating Jeju air will be good for her cold. The fact that she has always wanted to see Jeju definitely played into the decision.

 

Lee Ji Hoon

 

Lee Ji Hoon first met Hyun Jin when he was 8 years old during a family vacation in the US. They would later acknowledge that they were too young to remember meeting then. Their fathers had been friends from high school and later college. After that first meeting, they had met again 5 years later when her family first moved to Japan. Ji Hoon had thought Hyun Jin was stuck-up and unfriendly then so stayed away from her. She was too preoccupied with her new surrounding to pay him any attention.

When Ji Hoon decided on USC for college, his father had enlisted the help of his old friend’s daughter to look out for him. It wasn’t like he needed babysitting but he was his mother’s only son and she was worried about him being alone in a foreign country. Hayaley’s sister, Hyun Jung had treated him like a younger brother she never had, always there if he needed something but very strict. He was always getting scolding for not putting more effort into school and spending too much time partying or hanging out with this girl or that girl.

Ji Hoon only met Hyun Jin again after Hyun Jung had passed away. It took him awhile to crack through Hyun Jin’s tough exterior. But once he did, they became close friends. Hyun Jin and Hyun Jung are like night and day. Hyun Jin could care less if he went to class or got home intoxicated. It also did not bother her that he was dating every cute or y girl on campus. Her only words to him before sending him off on his escapades: “Stay out of trouble. I’m not bailing you out.”

A few days ago on the morning of August 21, Hyun Jin had called asking if he would go on a short trip with her. He had apologized, “I’m so sorry. Someone scheduled this freaking board meeting today even though I told them to keep my calendar free.” He thought maybe she could come to Jeju with him and relax. He was here for a conference but he knows she could probably keep herself busy sight-seeing. 

“Lee Ji Hoon, has it been almost a year since we last met?” A voice startles him from his thoughts.

“Yes, hyung. How are you?”

“Very well. I see you brought company.”

“This is Sung Hyun Jin. General Manager Byun Yo Han of Shilla.“ He introduces the pair.

Ji Hoon was not prepared for the conversation that ensued next. And had apologized to Yo Han-hyung when Hyun Jin brusquely walks away after lashing out with that sharp tongue of hers. 

 

 

“How dare he??” Hayaley is fuming. She presses the elevator button more persistently than usual.

“Sung Hyun Jin, you do know we are his guests while we are here, right?” says Ji Hoon, catching up to her. “He’s my counterpart in this business. And his family…” Ji Hoon just shakes his head, knowing she doesn’t understand or care about all these high society or chaebol affair.

“I don’t care who he is. It does not give him the right to be rude and arrogant and obnoxious!” Hayaley had been facing the elevator with her arms folded and just now turned to give him a stern look but is stunned to see Jae Joong instead. She loses her train of thought. Good thing the elevator door opens.

Hayaley moves to the back of the elevator, Ji Hoon next to her as six others crowd into the elevator.

“You are coming tonight, right?”

“No.”

“Don’t joke around.”

“I’m not joking. You know that type of parties are not my thing. Besides, I’m still nursing a cold.”

“You said you would yesterday.”

“I said I would come to Jeju, not to the event.” The elevator stops. Hayaley

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter