Rationalizing...

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even If I knew my place should I leave it there?
Should I give up
Or should I just keep chasing pavements?
Even if it leads nowhere

Adele – “Chasing Pavements”

 

August 28: 8am, Hayaley’s Home, Cheongpyeong

Hayaley downloads all the pictures from her camera. Since she is going into Seoul today, she is going to have some of her favorite photos from the trip enlarged and printed. She comes across several shots of herself. They were all side profiles except one frontal shot of her looking down. She couldn’t have taken them. Then she remembers…. When they were at Sangumburi Crater, she had exchanged cameras with Jae Joong. He must have taken the photos then!

She then browses through the pictures she took of him. He is undeniably good looking. Should she send him these? No, she should not. After wrestling with her thoughts last night and this morning, she has concluded that it would not be reasonable to push the envelope. It makes her a little sad but she knows it’s not a matter or situation she can alter herself.

Hours later, Hayaley is driving her convertible to Seoul, enjoying the cloudy but warm day. Soon it will be Fall and the leaves will be turning. She can’t wait for the Fall colors.

She has a meeting with a style editor and a fashion designer about a possible collaboration together. She is not quite comfortable with the proposal. Ji Hoon and Kelly have both been excited with the proposition, saying it would be great for not only her new collection but also finally getting her recognized in Korea. She doesn’t mind the first rationalization. But the second, she is not thrilled with. She is actually enjoying the anonymity she has here and not sure if she would like to change that. This meeting will hopefully help her decide.

 

 

After the meeting, her mind is still whirling with all the information and possibilities. No time to contemplate that now. She has to make sure she is emotionally ready to face Jae Joong again.

She parks her car, takes a deep breath and exits. She has not been to this restaurant before. Since living in Korea, Ji Hoon has taken her to several trendy restaurants, knowing how much she loves trying new food. She appreciates him taking the time since she knows he has quite a robust social life, mostly preoccupied by girls who unlike her, are only too eager for his attention.

The boys have assured here that the BBQ here is top notch so she is looking forward to it. She walks into an empty restaurant. Is she in the right place? A hostess comes up to her with questioning eyes. Hayaley quickly apologizes, “I’m sorry, I must be at the wrong place...”

“Hayaley, is that you?”

“Chris?” The hostess takes that as a cue that she is expected and escorts her up the stairs.

Chris meets her halfway down the stairs. “Welcome. My friend owns this restaurant so we are going to have the whole second floor to ourselves.” He walks her to an outdoor area. It’s a quaint atmosphere with wooden terrace furniture. She likes this place already.

 

 

It looks like everyone is there except Jae Beom. “Something came up and he can’t make it.” Jun Suk explains. Hayaley apologizes for being late. Not being familiar with Seoul traffic, she had misdjudged how long it would take to get here.

Chris sits her to his right, next to Jae Joong. The food arrives as soon as she sits down. As endorsed by the boys, the food is fabulous. They chat about the trip that was cut short, the good food and everyone’s schedule for the next few weeks. Jae Joong is being exceptionally quiet so Chris teases him about it.

“You don’t even have a cold like Hyun Jin-shi.”                                                   

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter