Don't Date Celebrities

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author’s Notes: I highly recommend when you get to the music verse to play the song and wait till the verse included in this chapter has played to continue reading the story. The MV is perfect with the sound of the city in the beginning - imagine Hayaley driving with the windows down, passing the view above. Italics for phrases/conversations in English.

 

September 13: 6pm, Sheraton Grande Walkerhill, Seoul

“I’m famished! I hope you have a good spread set up.”

“Haha! Of course. I ordered all your favorite, princess.”

Hayaley had spent all day finalizing the details for the showcase and reception the next day. Ji Hoon convinced her to launch a Hayaley Sung Design boutique in Seoul, and naturally, at Sheraton Grande Walkerhill. He is indisputably a great salesman as Hayaley is very selective when it comes to choosing the market to introduce her boutiques.

When she started ‘Hayaley Sung’, the goal was to showcase it as an exclusive jewelry boutique but not the route of mainstream luxury brands. Therefore, not Rodeo Drive or high end malls but only at specific 5-star hotels or resorts like The Peninsula in Hong Kong and The Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo. And there will only be one boutique per country. Bangkok was going to be her next market but it’s hard to say no to an old friend, especially a smooth talker like Ji Hoon.

Helen Matthews, her Corporate Communication & Events Director, has done a fine job of getting all the logistics and details set up, which is a relieve for Hayaley as she was so preoccupied with JYJ’s tour and other upcoming activities that she has not been as involved with this launch as Hong Kong or Tokyo.

With the conclusion of the rehearsal, Hayaley was ready to just sit down and eat a big meal. “My favorite, huh? You have fish, shrimp, seafood, tofu…”

“Yep, check, check and check. Plus I have something special for you.”

“Hmm, I feel special already.” They both laugh as they approach the entrance to Geumryong, the resident Chinese restaurant.

 

 

“Noona.”

Hayaley turns towards the now familiar voice and sees Gun Hyuk with Jae Joong. She freezes, expecting the same icy look he gave her yesterday on the plane. She had not seen his eyes at the departure gate as he had kept his shades on. But when he removed the shades at their seats, she felt a chill down her spine. He had looked at her with such cold, angry eyes. She was glad they were separated by an aisle. His eyes now hold less hostility but still intense.

One of the Catering Sales Manager is escorting Jae Joong and Gun Hyuk. She bows to Ji Hoon and Hayaley. Most of the staff recognize Hayaley, having seen her with Ji Hoon more than a handful of times.

Ji Hoon escorts Hayaley into the restaurant after greeting the other party and acknowledging the Catering Sales Manager. The hostess walks them to the reserved private room. Right after the drinks arrived, the same manager and Geumryong’s Restaurant Manager request for an audience with Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon excuses himself but returns 15 minutes later with Jae Joong and Gun Hyuk in tow. Apparently, there was a slight mix up and the room was supposed to be reserved for Jae Joong’s taste test but since the kitchen already prepared the food for both, Ji Hoon had apologized and asked if they would mind sharing since they are not exactly strangers.

It was quite a strange table of food. Korean food on one side of the table and Chinese food on the other. The four engages in small talk throughout dinner. When the table is cleared and they were waiting for dessert, Ji Hoon asks Jae Joong, “So, what do you do in your free time?”

“Hang out and drink with friends, work out, write songs.”

“Do you lock yourself up for days when you are in your song writing mood?”

“Well, I…Yea, I suppose you could say that.”

“Hmm, must be a similar trait with songwriters,” as he glances at Hayaley, who shows no reaction until he asks his next question, “So would you date other celebrities?”

Wondering if he is asking on behalf of Hayaley, Jae Joong carefully answers, “I have no preference. If I'm attracted to her, then yes.”

Ji Hoon nods. “I have a friend who would not date a celebrity even if her life depends on it.”

Gun Hyuk cuts in, “No way, why? They are not so bad,” as he jabs Jae Joong.

Ji Hoon turns to Hayaley, “Hyun Jin-ah, why?”

Hayaley shoots Ji Hoon an irate look, then turns to look at Jae Joong. She sees the the crease on his forehead. She mutters some excuse, bid them a brief farewell and leaves.

Ji Hoon catches up with her in the lobby. “I was just trying to help.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter