Lost Love

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Italics for conversation in English.

August 22: 8:10am, Departure Gate, Gimpo Airport, Seoul

“Where is she?” Yoon Seung Hoon is pacing more than normal.

“Director Yoon, you okay?” Ahn Min Ji asks. She is very in tune to her boss’ behavior and habits. He seems a little restless this morning.

“Hmm? Yeah, I’m fine.” He sends another text: “Yah! It’s almost boarding time. You almost here?” He waits for a minute. Still nothing.

Just then, he looks up to see a familiar figure come through the entrance gate.

 

 

Hayaley has her shades on and hoodie up. As soon as she walks into the gate, her crew all stand up. Brian, with his long legs, gets to her first. He engulfs her in a big bear hug. She hugs him back, grateful, for such was the comfort she has been craving the last few days. She swallows the lump in and pulls away to hug Sato and then Cindy.

Hayaley was holding her composure until Cindy says, “We were worried about you. You okay?” She almost lost it. She hugs Cindy tightly and grits her teeth, determined to hold the tears back. She manages a nod and pulls away.

She turns to Jeremy who nervously holds a hand up, as if he’s saying “Hi” but more probably, “Please don’t hug me”. That made her crack a smile. His fear of skinship is comical. She hugs him anyway, making him freeze and eliciting laughter from the rest of the team.

Seung Hoon is relieved. He had no doubt Hayaley would show up. She has a work ethic that is unrivaled. But he was worried about her condition.

When he had given her the tour schedule, she had been upset.

“Oppa, did you forget I don’t fly around August 21!”

“I’m sorry. But the tour dates were already set before you sign the contract and we already had the venue, hotel and plane tickets booked. And we could not get them changed without a big penalty.”

Silence on the phone.

“Hello? Hyun Jin-ah, you still there?”

“Yeah, sorry oppa. I should know better. I just…”

“I understand,” he answered softly. “And I’m sorry too.”

How could he forget August 21?

Seung Hoon still remembers the call from Jin Mo (Henry, Hayaley’s brother). He could hardly understand a word at first. Jin Mo was crying uncontrollably. He had never heard such distraught in his voice. He finally patched some of the words together, “Hyun Jung…plane crash…she’s gone…”

Seung Hoon had to hold on to the table to steady himself and sit down. It can’t be true. “Say that one more time…,” he repeated cautiously and softly, hoping he had heard wrong. When Jin Mo confirmed it, he hung up and broke down.

“No.” He shook his head in denial, repeating the word over and over again in his head. “I just spoke to her hours ago,” he said aloud in despair. Sobs racked his body. 

Hyun Jung had made him promise to go back to the Hamptons with her for Christmas. “No more running away.” She had been firm but reassuring.

Seung Hoon had worried that her parents would disapprove of him. He was 10 years older, they were both still in college, and he could hardly support himself financially. How could he convince them that he was the right one for their precious daughter? But she had been adamant, saying her parents would love him.

All the plans they made together shattered into a thousand pieces that summer day. He struggled to finish his studies and decided that it was best to come back to Seoul, leaving all the memories far behind. It will take him years to come to terms with his grief and guilt...

 

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone…

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you, baby, one more time again

James Taylor – “Fire and Rain”

 

For many years, it hurt when Seung Hoon had to fly around this time. He had a hard time getting over the guilt of not being on that same flight that fateful day. He had backed out last minute, not having the courage to meet Hyun Jung’s parents. He knows how much more difficult it is for Hyun Jin. His eyes rest on her now.

Seung Hoon’s phone signals a new text message. He looks to see it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter