Beautiful Star

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

November 18: 4:18pm, Tokyo Dome, Tokyo

Hayaley rushes to Tokyo Dome as soon as she gets done with her shoots, only managing to change into her comfortable sweater and skirt. More than a few of the concert staff shoot her a second look when they see her, probably not used to her having that much make-up on. Or maybe because they are seeing her in a skirt for the first time.

It looks like they are wrapping up the rehearsal. She heads for the consoles where Brian and Mael are running the audio. Mael volunteered to help when he realized she was going to have schedule conflicts with JYJ’s concerts in Japan. He can’t understand more than a smattering of Korean but most of the JYJ staff including Yoo Chun, Jun Su and Jae Joong speak Japanese so it would be less of a hassle for everyone if he was there. Seung Hoon-oppa had given the okay.

Da Hee catches up to her before she reaches the consoles. “Unni, you look pretty today.”

Hayaley laughs nervously, then teases Da Hee, “Thanks for telling me I don’t look pretty usually.”

“No, no!” the younger girl gets all flustered. “That’s not what I meant. You are pretty but today you look different. Like a star…” she winks.

They exchange a smile. Da Hee has known for awhile that Hayaley is the vocalist and guitarist for Common Ground. But only recently found out about her musical career in Japan thanks to Shawn. The two had hit it off immediately when they met in Bangkok and has continued to keep in touch. Hayaley has a feeling that things have developed pass friendship, with some of the hints Shawn has let dropped but Da Hee has not really said anything. Hayaley thinks Da Hee is actually a good match for Shawn but can’t help feeling the distance and time apart could be an issue. She will have to sit her new friend down one day and get downloaded on the extent of their relationship, knowing that Shawn would probably not give her a serious answer.

 

 

Jae Joong saw Hayaley as soon as she walked into the arena. He told her this morning that she looked beautiful in that outfit and she had blushed. She told him to stop with the compliments. She’s not used to that.

“What? Are the four men you’ve been living with blind?”

“No, they just know better not to.”

“I’ve never met a woman who doesn’t like compliments.”

He was saying it like he didn’t believe her and she got irritated. “Well, I do and I don’t. It makes me uncomfortable. It’s hard to explain.”

He looked intently at her for a little while then said, “I’m not going to let you.”

“What?”

“You’re just going to have to get used to it. You know I don’t hold my tongue. So when I tell you you’re beautiful, you should learn to accept it and say thank you.”

She looked a little confused and a little annoyed.

“Don’t you think it’s time to let that insecurity go?”

“I don’t want to,” she said quietly.

“What?” He was baffled. She had turned to walk away and he stopped her. “No, I want to know why.”

“Because they are just words. It’s how you feel at that moment but when those feelings go away, they will be just empty words. But I would have stupidly believed them.”

Jae Joong is stunned. This had to be more than just those kids calling her an ugly duckling. He searched his brain. After what seemed like a long awkward moment, he asked cautiously, “Does this have to do with your ex-boyfriend again?” Hayaley looked up at him. Her eyes told him that he had hit it right on the money. “Is that what you think too when I tell you I love you?” he asked cautiously.

Hayaley’s heart was beating wildly. She really wants to believe him when he says those three words. And she does if she doesn’t allow herself to overthink it or be overwhelmed by the what-ifs. Every moment she was waiting to answer him, she saw his face turning sadder and the scowl getting deeper. But seemed to be glued shut. She clenched her fists and started to plead with her eyes, “Please understand, Jae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter