Company

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

September 14: 9:45pm, On The Way to Cheongpyeong

Hayaley gets a text. It’s from Jae Joong: “Congrats!”

She calls him back. “Thank you! Sorry for the call. I’m driving back to Cheongpyeong. Didn’t want to text and drive.”

“I thought you were going to stay in Seoul, at the hotel.”

“I decided not to. It was not much fun by myself. Ji Hoon has to deal with some crisis at the hotel and none of my friends are around. If I’m going to celebrate alone, I rather do it at home.”

A short pause. “Did you want me to come over and celebrate with you?”

“Will you? I mean, you don’t have to.”                          

“I’ll finish packing and head over.”

About an hour later, they are relaxing in the living room, sitting on a thick sheepskin rug on the floor. Hayaley pours them some wine and they toast her successful launch.

“I actually have not drank too much wine until Jeju.”

“Ah, right, you are a soju guy.”

He chuckles. “And you like your whiskey.”

“Bingo!” She winks. “But I’ll drink wine if I’m planning to drink more than two drinks since I have better tolerance for it.”

“Jeju was a good trip, wasn’t it?”

“Mm…hmm,” she nods. “It was fun.”

“Because of me?”

She rolls her eyes. “There we go again.”

“C’mon, you know it’s true.”

“Well, I suppose…a little.” She gestures with her finger. “Thank you for helping me calm down during that take-off….and all the other flights too.”

He really wants to know. “Why are you so anxious on take-off and landings? I know everyone has some fear of flying…”

“My sister died in a plane crash…,” she reveals before he can finish. It’s obvious that was a shocking revelation since Jae Joong is speechless. She adjusts to sit right next to him and rests her head on his shoulder. “Can I rest here just for a while?”

Jae Joong does not protest. “Should we listen to some music?”

“Okay.”

Jae Joong reaches for the remote and plays the current playlist. It’s Jae Joong’s ‘WWW’ album.

“Don’t be mistaken. Part of my job includes immersing myself in the singers’ music,” Hayaley quickly volunteers before he can comment on it.

It still puts a smile on his face. He changes to the next. It was JYJ’s ‘Just Us’. He switches it back to ‘WWW’ and leans back his head on the couch.

They quietly listen to the music and let Jae Joong's voice flood the room, both absorbed in their own thoughts. Some time later, both will fall into a deep sleep. 

Next morning, Hayaley wakes up in her own bed and wonders when or how she got there. She seems to vaguely remember being jolted awake from her dream by the sensation of being lifted up but Jae Joong’s soothing voice had quickly lulled her back to sleep. In the kitchen, she finds a note on the fridge from him:

Sorry, I had to leave without a proper goodbye. Early flight this morning. Good job yesterday!

Hayaley smiles. How thoughtful.

 

September 17: 2:30pm, Hayaley’s Home, Cheongpyeong

Hayaley, Chris and Gun Hyuk have previously discussed about visiting her in Cheongpyeong. Yesterday, Gun Hyuk called about doing that today since they were all in town. Him, Yong Geun, and Chris, who is also bringing his girlfriend, will stop by the store to pick up some meat and seafood for a BBQ dinner. He also invited Jae Joong who will be arriving by himself since he has a prior commitment. “So be sure to look out for him in case he gets lost.”

Hayaley smiled. I don’t think he will. “Sure. Drive safe and call me if you get lost.” Instead, she left the garage open for Jae Joong. She didn’t really hear him drive up until the door to the garage slams and she hears the garage door closing.

“Jae, is that you?” Hayaley calls out but continues to cut up a watermelon. Jae Joong has quietly sneaked into the kitchen and is watching her by the pantry door. Feeling someone’s presence, Hayaley quickly turns and jumps when she sees Jae Joong. “You scared me!”

“Sorry!” he apologizes. “I didn’t think Sung Hyun Jin gets scared,” laughter in his eyes.

She comes up to him and jabs him in the tummy. He yelps and apologizes some more.

Hayaley transfers all the watermelon onto a platter and takes it to the fridge. As she moves things around to make room, Jae Joong has made his way to the fridge as well and holds the fridge doors open for her. After placing the platter in the fridge, she turns and finds herself somewhat trapped between the fridge and Jae Joong’s open arms. She backs up by reflex. A smile curls the corner of his mouth. Jae Joong reaches one hand into the fridge to pull out a bottle of soju. In the process, he had moved his body closer and his face inches from hers. As he reaches for the bottle, he turns to whisper in her ear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter