Her Brother

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I’m caught up in you
I’m caught up in you

But you’re
Untouchable
Burning brighter than the sun…

Taylor Swift - "Untouchable"

 

November 15: 2:40pm, Ticketing Area, Gimpo International Airport, Seoul

“Oh, is that Director Sung’s boyfriend?”

Both Jae Joong and Yoo Chun turn towards the direction of Jun Su’s eyes.

“Seems kinda old for her,” Yoo Chun observes, as they watch Hayaley walk arm-in-arm with the man in question.

“Maybe it’s her brother,” Jae Joong echoes what’s in his own mind.

Just then, they see Director Yoon greets them cheerfully, exchanging hugs with the other man. They seem to be on very friendly terms, both instantly engaging in a lively conversation. Hayaley didn’t seem to mind being left out from the conversation, choosing to walk ahead of them.

“Jae Joong hyung, you know the rumors about Director Sung getting the job through the backdoor?” Jun Su prods.

Jae Joong almost cuts him off, “I think she has more than proven her ability.”

Yoo Chun detects the annoyance in Jae Joong’s voice quickly chimes in, “I agree.”

“I agree too. But I’m just saying that maybe that’s how the rumors got started.”

Hayaley greets them and their managers. They greet her back. She then introduces her brother to them.

 

Hayaley's brother, Henry aka Jin Mo
 

Henry eyes all three of them. Even from a male perspective, these were good looking men especially the one in the black trench coat. It’s a good thing his sister is not interested in dating celebrities. He has never liked that lifestyle and would be perfectly happy if she decides to quit the industry.

Unlike their mother who had blamed Hayaley and her musical career for the death of Heather, his dislike for this industry has more to do with how it has affected Hayaley’s emotional and physical recovery after the plane crash. Hayaley’s musician ex-boyfriend has no doubt added to the emotional scars that she still has not fully recover from. It has also taken Hayaley longer to recover from all the surgeries and subsequent surgeries because of the long hours and travel time she puts in because of her lifestyle.

They walk together to the security checkpoint. He is still engaged in conversation with Seung Hoon while Hayaley is walking ahead of them. Seung Hoon is his best friend in the world. That was why when he started dating Heather, he had been ecstatic, thinking they could finally be family. He never doubted that Seung Hoon would take good care of Heather. When Heather died in that plane crash, one part of him was glad Seung Hoon was not on that flight but the other part of him wondered if perhaps they would be happier together in Heaven. His best friend has not dated anyone since, at least not seriously, throwing himself into first his studies, then his career. He wishes for Seung Hoon to move on and find happiness.

 

 

“Sung Hyun Jin, you are going to walk into a pole or trample some poor kids,” he chides his sister, who is busy texting and walking at the same time.

She shoots her brother a smile then back to texting, “I do this all the time.” She dodges someone. “It’s June, by the way. She says Hi.” She looks up at her brother to check his reaction. His face void of emotion and she is disappointed.

June has had the biggest crush on her brother since she had first met him when they were still in college. But she has always been too timid to actually act on her feelings, which doesn’t matter because everyone can tell how much she is smitten by Henry. She gets all flustered around him, blushing when he speaks to her and would probably faint if her brother even touches her. Well, that did happen once. June was so flushed to see Henry after their concert, she had tripped and would have fallen off the scaffolding if Henry didn’t catch her. June would have hyperventilated and possibly passed out from the seemingly harmless rescue if she wasn’t so mesmerized with the man holding her in his arms.

Hayaley has tried playing match-maker but it has been a daunting task with June too scared to confess her feelings and her brother not giving her much of a hint. Her instinct tells her that her brother likes June but every time she tries to bring it up, he changes the subject or tells her it’s a silly notion. She knows he is not fond of the entertainment industry. She and June have spoken about her leaving the industry but she loves being a part of Common Ground and she doesn’t want to quit unless she knows for sure Henry is committed.

“Hyun Jin!!!” she feels her brother and Seung Hoon-oppa both grab her from behind. She almost got run over by one of those courtesy airport golf carts. The driver shakes his head. She quickly apologizes. The two older men scold her.

“Sorry, it’s your fault really,” she blames her brother. “I was too engrossed thinking about how to get you and June hooked up.”

“Sung Hyun Jin!” her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter