Recital

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Italics for conversations in English. Blue for conversations in Japanese. And wait for the song to end before starting the next section or it may ruin the mood. 

December 12: 7:39pm, Izumi Hall, Osaka

Hayaley is alone in the Artists’ Lounge. She closes her eyes and visualizes herself playing the most challenging notes from Bach’s Suite 6. This is always the piece that worries her the most so she always asks to be left alone a half hour before her recitals to calm herself and be ready for the performance. Of course, she could have chosen to not include the difficult composition but it is one of her favorites so it has been a permanent fixture for her recitals the last three years.

The Winter Recital is special to Hayaley. Her first performance in Japan after her accident was a cello recital in December. At that time, she had laughed at the irony of it. Her passion has been rock music since she found it seventeen years ago but it was classical music, which she once thought about giving up that brought her back on stage. The reception was so overwhelmingly positive that she broke down crying on stage. She will never forget that day because it helped rekindle the fire in her and she vowed never to give up music no matter what happens. So she made the Winter Recital a permanent event no matter how busy her schedule is.

A short rap on the door signals that it is time. She picks up her cello and walks the short distance to the door and the stage. Her arrival has been announced and she hears the applause. She enters the concert hall and the applause gets louder. She steps up to the raised platform, bows with her cello and sits down, adjusting her dress and her cello to the desired stand.

Almost as soon as she strikes the first note, her eyes drift shut and she becomes lost in the music.

 

December 12: 8:03pm, Kansai International Airport, Osaka

Jae Joong hurries past the throng of fans that have been waiting for his arrival. He knows his nieces and sister, Su Jin are among them and tries to search for them with his eyes. He bows to the crowd periodically, really touched knowing that most of them have been waiting since this morning. Jun Su and Yoo Chun arrived this morning but he could not make the same flight due to the filming for “Spy”. He took the first flight to Kansai as soon as filming wrapped. 

He finds his nieces and waves to them with a big smile letting them know he is happy to see them. He hears Ahn-Jjang takes a call. After he hangs up, he guides Jae Joong out of the departure area, the airport and towards a waiting sedan. His bodyguard opens the sedan door. Jae Joong and Ahn-Jjang get in. The sedan speeds away.  

After greetings were exchanged, Jae Joong settles in for the almost hour long ride to Osaka. He checks his phone for the time and shoots off a text. He wishes for the drive to be faster. The scenery outside blurs as he recalls his conversation with Hayaley two days ago in Cheongpyeong.

“What time are you getting in to Osaka on Friday?” she asked cautiously.

He knew something was up by the tone of her voice. “I’m not sure yet. We have a major scene we have to film that day. I think the plan is for me to leave for Gimpo as soon as filming wraps.”

She nodded, as she pursed her lips.

“Why?”

“Nothing, just wondering.”

“C’mon, what is it? Want to have dinner together when I get in?”

“No. I won’t be available. I’ll be busy.”

“Busy? With? I didn’t think set-up starts till the next day and your Superstar-J filming is only on the weekend.”

“Just an engagement I made awhile back.”  

“Who’s the mysterious guy?”

Hayaley laughed. “It’s not like that. You’re so silly.”

He grinned. He was just teasing. But was still relieved with her response and reaction. While she was in the shower that evening, he googled anything and everything pertaining to Common Ground and Aya Shiori in Japan, specifically Osaka. It did not take him long to find what he was looking for.

“Hyung, wake up.” Ahn-Jjang’s voice pierces through his dreamy state. “We’ll be arriving shortly.”

“Already?”

“You’ve been napping for awhile.”

“We’re here,” Ryohei announces as he puts the sedan in park.

The door opens almost right away and he sees Mael’s face peering at him. They greet each other as Jae Joong climbs out. “Am I too late?”

Mael shakes his head. “No, we have about another 45 minutes or so.”

“That’s a relief,” Jae Joong thought.

“Let’s go,” Mael leads him into the building with their bodyguards in tow.

Mael opens the door to the third-floor balcony seats and ushers Jae Joong in. The gentleman closest to the door stands up.

Jae Joong takes the outstretch hand and nods. He can’t read Michael. He was always friendly but seems to also be holding back especially since Bangkok. He thought Mael would be the most difficult of Hayaley’s bandmates to get close to. His aloofness is well-known and Jae Joong had felt the icy looks he gave him the first time they met in Napa. But Mael and him are ‘brothers’ now.

“Look who we have here.”

Jae Joong snaps towards the voice. He is shocked. It’s the Caucasian lady he met at Hayaley’s boutique opening reception and she’s speaking Korean to him now. Before he could utter a word, she has engulfed him in a hug.

“Nice to see you again. I’m glad you are here. I’m Hayaley’s mother.”

Hayaley’s mother?! Jae Joong gulps. His mind is racing, trying to replay the conversation he had with her months ago. Did he say anything he should not have? He quickly remembers his manners and bows, “I’m Kim Jae Joong.”

The smile she gave him tells him that she already knows. She gestures to the seat next to her and he obediently sits down. His heart beating. He was not expecting this. But his attention reverts to the reason he is here. He peers down to the stage. Soon the tense lines on his face relaxes, repl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter