Like There's No Tomorrow

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author’s Notes: Italics for conversations in Mandarin. Hayaley’s conversation with her mum is in English.

September 11: 2:45pm, Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taipei

Rehearsal is about to start so Hayaley rushes back to the concert hall. As she approaches the entrance to the exhibition hall, she sees JYJ and their entourage walking up from the opposite direction. Her eyes are immediately drawn to Jae Joong.

It has been a week since the time they spent together in Cheongpyeong. They have had little to no interaction during that time, not entirely by choice but it had worked out better for both of them. They had taken different flights to and from Chengdu, which averted the awkwardness of what they would have had to do if seated together. She had kept her pre-show briefing short. And he kept his earphones on only when necessary.

Hayaley and her family had flew to Taipei on the 8th. Jae Joong, on the other hand, spent Chuseok with his family in Gongju and did not get to Taipei till yesterday.

Even though she had been mostly preoccupied with spending time with her parents the last few days, she had thought of Jae Joong. Even her mum had noticed she has been daydreaming a little more than usual.

“What’s going on?” she quizzed Hayaley last night. “You have been a little distracted. Does this have to do with Heather?”

“No, mum,” not really wanting to tell her mum she has had a tougher time with the anniversary of her sister’s death this year. It’ll only make her mum feel guilty and they’ll probably end up arguing like usual, which will ruin the rest of their vacation.

“So what is it?”

“Mmm…there’s this guy.”

“Oh, how exciting!” Her mum is genuinely excited. It’s been a long while since Hayaley has dated anyone, at least as far as she is aware. “Wait, it’s not Ji Hoon, right?”

“Haha, no mum. I would never...that’s just ridiculous.”

“Phew! Okay, I just had a moment there since his father had brought up marriage and all.” She shakes her head, “Never mind. Tell me about this guy.”

“Uhm, he’s Korean...”

“Like from Korea?” Hayaley nods. “Okay…if he’s anything like your dad…”

Hayaley laughs at the look on her mum’s face. “No, mum, he’s not. He’s a singer, actor…”

“He’s a what?”

Hayaley nods. “I know. That was unplanned. It just kinda happened. But he’s not quite like most of the celebrities I’ve met. He’s still humble and quite down to earth. And really cares for the people around him including those working with or for him. And he seems close to his family.”

“He sounds wonderful. So what seems to be the matter?”

“We are working on the same project right now and he feels it’s best we remain uninvolved during this time. He doesn’t want ‘us’ to affect the tour, etc. etc.,” as she rolls her eyes.

Her mum is roaring with laughter. Hayaley didn’t think it funny at all. “Sorry, my dear. Do you not see the irony of the situation? You, who is so adamant about not dating a celebrity, ends up falling for one.”

Hayaley rolls her eyes again. “Mum, can we please focus.”

“Okay, okay, sorry! Do you feel the same? You want to wait too?”

“I don’t know. I mean I see his point but this is like torture. He’s so close yet so far. And I hate how he can be so cold sometimes.”

“Your dad did that to me too though for entirely different reasons. I got so furious. I mean it was quite obvious he was smitten but he would be caring one minute and then gives me the cold shoulder the next. It was driving me crazy. On top of that, we had this language barrier thing. So even when I was venting at him, I wasn’t sure if he understood me. But….I held my ground and wouldn’t take no for an answer and he eventually gave in.”

“But Jae is not like daddy,” Hayaley sighs. “Let’s just say he has a stronger constitution. And being professional is so important to him. He feels such a huge responsibility towards his band members, his fans and everyone around him.”

“Sounds just like someone I know.”

“Mummy!!”  

She hugs Hayaley. “Let’s just put it this way. If I had waited for your dad,” she shuddered as she said that, “And not been more, shall I say aggressive, I don’t think we would be where we are today. When you find someone special, you have to go for it. Throw caution to the wind! Life is too short to wait. Remember, you are to love and live,” and they both say in unison, “Like there’s no tomorrow.”

That had been something Marissa Preston always told her daughters from the time they were young to encourage them to give their all in everything. It was what Marissa’s mum had taught her when she was growing up. She had made it her life motto and had passed it on to her children.

Hayaley had always been the one that embraced that motto the most. She was fearless even as a child and of course, got into more trouble than her siblings because of it. There were only a few times that she had wished the motto was not taken so seriously. One of those times was when Hayaley announced her desire to be a rock musician. They had a huge argument about it. Hayaley had been adamant, “This is what I want to do and my chance is right here, right now. I’m not going to back down. What happened to ‘Live like there’s no tomorrow’? I may never get another chance. I am going to sign this contract. And I’m not going to let anyone stop me.”

When they lost Heather in the plane cra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter