Some Time

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: This week’s song is “November Rain” by Guns n’ Roses. Imagine this song coming from Hayaley’s POV instead of Jae Joong’s.

November 6: 10:30am, Hayaley’s Home, Cheongpyeong

Jae Joong back hugs Hayaley, “Thank you.” He woke up with a sore throat this morning and Hayaley promised to have some hot tea waiting for him when he gets to Cheongpyeong.

She hands him the cup of tea. “It’s hot.”

He takes a sip. “Hm... This is good.”

“It’s called ‘Passion Fruit Napali’. Got it in Hawaii this Summer. I also have a ‘Mango Maui’. Love them.” Common Ground was in Hawaii to film the MVs for their new album. Both she and Mael were recovering from sore throats. She had found these tea flavors and stocked up before leaving the islands.

Both are sipping their tea quietly on the patio.  

Hayaley breaks the tranquility of the moment, “The next few days, while we are apart, we should take the time to think about our relationship.”

 

So if you want to love me
Then darlin’ don’t refrain
Or I’ll just end up walkin’
In the cold November rain

Everybody needs some time
On their own
Don’t you know you need some time all alone

 

“What do you mean?” Jae Joong does not like the sound of that. Hayaley’s serious look is not helping either.

“Obviously, hiding our relationship from Yoo Chun and Jun Su has been an added stress for you…for our relationship. I think maybe we need to just cool it and wait till the Japan Dome concerts are over, or after your drama if that’s too much to deal with then…”

“Are you asking to break up?” He breaks in before she can finish. He feels his heart starting to beat faster.

“No,” she pauses. Then, with her eyes holding his steady, “But I’m scared, Jae. I’m scared of getting in too deep and it will hurt too much when you decide this is not working for you.” Her hands are gripping the cup tight. Confessing her fear is just as scary. It makes her feel vulnerable but she has to if she wants to protect herself from more hurt later.

Jae Joong is speechless. He is aware he has been hot and cold the last week or more. But he figured he would eventually sort out his anxieties and feelings. He just needs some time. “I care about you a lot and I really like you. I like you a lot. I’m just not sure where these feelings are heading. Every time I try to think about it, I get anxious and my mind gets all jumbled. I’m sorry about the way I’ve acted this past week. I know I will figure it out eventually.” I just did not expect you to try to walk away now. Is she? He’s feeling anxious again and blurts out, “Why are you walking away now?”

“I’m not walking away. I’m giving you the time you need to think this through.” And you have no idea how scary this is, not knowing what you could decide.

“Why do we need to take a break for it?” What if you decide to really walk away during that time?   

“Because I think I’m falling for you. It’s too hard to be on this roller-coaster you’re putting me on and having to deal with my feelings at the same time.” I’m in love with you and I can’t let you put me in a more vulnerable position than I already am. Tears are starting to pool in her eyes.

He sees the tears and caresses her face. She makes his heart soar every time he sees her. He misses her so much when they are apart that it drives him crazy. He feels so content when they are together and she sets him on fire when he holds her close. But his enlistment burdens him. Thinking beyond that scares him. Fitting Hayaley into all of these terrifies him.

He hates seeing her cry and he hates that he’s the reason for it. He promises himself…and her that he will figure this out by the time he gets back from Vienna. “Do I have to leave now?”

She shakes her head. “Just think about it while we are gone… Whether we should go on or take a break.”

He nods.

Hayaley stands up abruptly. “Let’s make lunch,” as she turns around and wipes her tears away before they can spill over.

“Wow! Is that crab?” Jae Joong watches as Hayaley pulls the crabs out of the huge stock pot. “When did you get them?”

“Last night. After dinner with the Directors and Managers.”

“Can I help?”

Hayaley smiles. “You always do anyway. Did you want to crack the crabs? Just enough so they can absorb some of the sauce while stewing?”

“Okay.” He gets the cracker out and starts working on the crab.

Hayaley sees him picking on some of the crab meat. “Ya, Kim Jae Joong, no picking on the crab.”

“They are really sweet. I’m just eating the little pieces that came loose. Here, have some.” He feeds them to her, who gives him the thumbs up.

Over an hour later, they sit down to enjoy the claypot crab stew, along with honey chicken and a simple vegetable stir-fry. Perhaps the food was that good or perhaps their minds too preoccupied, they eat in silence. Until Jae Joong gets crab on his face when he cracked open one of the claws. Hayaley reaches out to wipe them off. Their eyes meet. Both smile.   

“Where did you learn to make Thai and Vietnamese food?”

“From Shawn.”

“Really? The British guy?” His eyes were as big as marbles.

“We all like Thai food. Michael sometimes gets the craving for Vietnamese food while we are on tour or at home in LA. So Shawn has mastered some Vietnamese dishes as well. I sometimes hang out in the kitchen with Shawn and Christian, and have picked up some, shall we say, skills?”

“I see. I knew about Christian since he fixed the Mexican feast we had in Bangkok.”

“He cooks mostly Mexican or Latino food. Sometimes American. But Shawn i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter