Confessions

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When you pass by my finger tips
Warmth spreads throughout
my cold heart

I want to softly go
to you and lean on you
But the distance between
us is not narrowing

I want to reach out
my hands and hold you
But it feels like we’ll get farther
apart so I just linger around you

It’s okay even if I can’t touch you
It’s okay even if I can’t hug you…

My heart can reach you

Yoon Mi Rae – Touch Love

 

September 3: 10:20pm, Hayaley’s Home, Cheongpyeong

Jae Joong follows Hayaley into the house and to the kitchen. She grabs a bottle of Merlot and pours herself a glass.

They have rode back here in silence, both preoccupied with their own thoughts. Jae Joong kept dissecting everything he’s seen and heard about Hayaley and Ji Hoon. His mind keeps taking him back to how sure Ji Hoon sounded about Hayaley’s feelings for him. What is he going to do about it?

Hayaley, on the hand, is trying to figure out how much Jae Joong had heard. She might as well have confessed her feelings because anyone listening to her conversation with Ji Hoon would have come to that conclusion. What is she going to do if he asks her about it?  

Hayaley downs the whole glass of Merlot. She pours more into the glass. Jae Joong grabs her hand to stop her from downing this one too. She looks up, stormy eyes piercing his. “Do you have a question for me?” she asks.

“Is it true? Do you like me?”

She exhales slowly. He did hear. “I’m sorry.” She sees his brows crease a little. “I know it’s inappropriate considering our professional relationship. I will be sure to keep a distance… and sort out my feelings.” She pulls her hand out of his and turns to walk away.

His other hand reaches out to grab her gently by her waist, stopping her. “I’m sorry. It’s just bad timing and wrong circumstance. I can’t risk having anything jeopardize the project. I have a responsibility to Yoo Chun, Jun Su and all the staff. But can we….can we just hold our feelings in check for now and reevaluate after the Asian Tour?” He knows what he is asking is unfair to Hayaley. He couldn’t bring himself to look at her.

They remain standing there side by side, each facing opposite directions. Hayaley is the first to break the silence. “So, you like me too?” It took her a little while to digest ‘our feelings’.  

He lets out a soft laugh. “Is it not obvious?” He tightens his grip on her waist.

“And you are confident about controlling this feeling?”

He grits his teeth. “I have to.”

Hayaley lightly pushes his hand away from her waist and walks away. In her bedroom, she closes the door and leans against it, sliding to the ground seconds later. She wishes she did not know how he really feels. Having a hunch and really knowing makes a huge difference. This is going to make it so much harder.  

 

 

Jae Joong grabs the bottle of wine and another glass. He needs a drink. Hopefully, this wine will do it. He drank the last soju two nights ago. He sits down on one of the couches in the living room and downs the first glass. That didn’t work out the way he had planned. He was going to ignore what he heard, just like how he has been trying to ignore his own feelings. But her asking that question threw him off. And those fiery eyes of hers piercing him frayed the last of his resistance…He pours himself more wine.

Hayaley walks back into the kitchen about half an hour later in a sweater and jeans. She took a shower to help calm down. She notices the bottle of wine is gone. Jae Joong must have taken it. She grabs her glass, another bottle of wine and heads to the living room. From the landing, she sees him looking at her pictures from the portfolio Kelly had sent the editor at Harper’s Bazaar. He’s been staring at a particular one for quite a while – she has on a simple white, almost sheer top with a black hoodie vest and torn jeans, her hair the same length and color as now, and she was dragging her favorite guitar.

Hayaley

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter