Second Thoughts

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Italics for conversations in English.

September 26: 11:30am, Penthouse Suite, St. Regis, Bangkok

For much of the morning, Hayaley, Mael and Michael have been working on finalizing the set list for their Asian Concert Tour. June has been skyping with the Stage Managers while Shawn is working on the promotion and merchandise aspect. That leaves Christian to cook lunch. Since they are having guests over, he is preparing what he considers a Mexican feast.

Christian together with Shawn are the designated chefs for the band. They usually take turn preparing the meals at the band’s home in California. Christian sets a bowl of chips and salsa on the living room table, in front of Shawn and June, not even bothering to offer Hayaley, Michael and Mael any, knowing they don’t like touching their guitars with grubby fingers.

The doorbell rings and he yells, “I got it!”

It’s their guests – Jae Joong, Ahn Jjang, Yong Guen and Gun Hyuk. Gun Hyuk had come to Bangkok for JYJ’s last Asia Tour concert and Hayaley had invited him over for lunch as well.

Christian welcomes them and tells them there’s salsa and chips in the living room. Then yells to his band mates, “Hey guys! Our guests are here!”

Shawn quickly greets the new arrivals. June ends her skype meeting promptly, in time to greet the guests as they got to the living room. She moves her laptop aside and offers the new arrivals some chips and salsa.

“Guys?!” Shawn calls out to the trio still deep in discussion over the set list.

“Almost done,” Hayaley says without looking up from the sitting area, set a little apart from the living room.

Shawn explains to the guests, “They are trying to get the set list for our Asian concert done before we leave Bangkok since we won’t be all together again before the first concert in two weeks.”

Jae Joong is stunned. This is the first that he has heard about Common Ground’s concert. And in two weeks!! He looks over at Hayaley who had just grabbed Michael’s guitar and is strumming a tune. He suddenly feels anxious.

Jae Joong has never been opposed to dating other celebrities. After all, it’s almost inevitable that you would meet someone in the same industry that you would be attracted to, especially since you share the same musical interest and understanding of what this life entails. But the demands and lifestyle of this industry are also reasons none of those relationships lasted longer than three months!

Jae Joong admits that he’s a workaholic and a perfectionist so his job is normally priority and takes up the majority of his time. His schedule and celebrity status does not allow him the luxury of being a normal boyfriend either. He has been accused of being selfish by almost all his ex-girlfriends, which he is not sure if he can deny because it’s hard for him to put his woman above his job. There’s just never enough time in a day or a week or a month to split his time equally.  When the other half is also living the same lifestyle, it becomes even harder.

He is also aware that Hayaley has not once turn to look at him since he arrived, which bothers him even more. His previous girlfriends have all, yes all, stormed out on him more than once after failing to get his attention and waiting for hours because he was busy composing or recording or simply working. He gets in a zone and shuts out everything and everyone. “She’s just like me….”

With his eyes transfixed on Hayaley and her two bands mates, it hits him that he may not have thought this relationship all the way through.   

“That looks good. Let’s just go with this.” Finally satisfied with the set list, Hayaley hands the guitar back to Michael and looks up, eyes searching for Jae Joong. He’s seated right across from her but the expression on his face…. She shoots him a small smile. That seems to break the ice. He smiles back.

 

 

Christian announces that lunch is ready so everyone heads into the dining room. He has made his famous lobster enchiladas, fisht tacos, braised short ribs and chicken with mole sauce. Everyone digs in immediately.

Hayaley notices that Jae Joong seems a little quiet. He is saying very little through lunch. Even Gun Hyuk was asking Jae Joong if he feels okay. She picks up her phone to text him a funny face when it rings.

“Hey, Peter!” Hayaley answers as she gets up from her seat and leaves the dining room.

When she comes back, June mutters, “Uh…oh!” as she saw the look on Hayaley’s face. Everyone turns to look at Hayaley.

She sits down, sighs as she lightly drops her phone on the dining table. “So…that was Peter.” Peter McShane, together with Kelly Wong, are Common Ground’s Managers. Peter is also the VP of Operations for Common Musical Ground, the entertainment company the band had created to manage Common Ground and other artistes. “MTV Asia wants to do a documentary...actually more like a reality show on us.”

“And…the catch is?” Shawn asks.

“Catch is they want to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter