...Music Speaks

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author’s Notes: All Hayaley’s conversations with Michael, her staff, and Lee Da Hee are in English. Italics for conversations in Japanese. Blue for Vietnamese.

August 29: 1pm, Arrival Hall, Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Ho Chi Minh City

Hayaley flings herself into Michael Ziemes’ waiting arms. Besides Mael, no other man has come close to understanding her. She’s happy to see him after 2 months.

“Bet you are ready for some good pho, huh?”

“Absolutely, can’t wait!” Hayaley exclaims enthusiastically as they leave the airport arm-in-arm.

Hayaley and Michael’s friendship holds a special bond because of seemingly similar fate. Both were exposed to classical instruments at the young age of 4 but discovered the guitar in their early teenage years, which eventually led to the destiny that brought them together. Both their adopted siblings - Michael’s sister and Hayaley’s brother, are the reason for the same cause they stand for. Both also endured the loss of a beloved sibling, which have made them more resilient. 

 

New OC: Michael (looks like Sergio Mur)

 

For the last few years, Michael has been building orphanages and schools in Vietnam. This is a cause close to his heart because his sister, Mai is adopted from Vietnam. He spends more time here than home in Berlin when he has free time.    

After lunch, they head for Quan Khu 7 Stadium. Her team has already sorted out the audio cases. Hayaley is not excited about the outdoor venue - too many variables, which means more things can go wrong. She is handed the first of these almost as soon as she arrives at the stadium.

Director Im notifies her that rain and possible thunderstorm is expected that evening so she will have to decide how much set-up she will lay out today. After discussing with her team, they decide to set-up only equipment that does not have to be protected from the weather and come in early tomorrow morning to finish the set-up by 1pm since Seung Hoon-oppa wants rehearsal to start at 2pm at the very latest. This will leave little room for mistakes or surprises. But Hayaley has confidence in her team so they get to work as planned.

 

 

August 29: 9pm, Purple Jade, InterContinental Asiana Saigon Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City

Jae Joong and Yoo Chun have decided to check out the Purple Jade bar downstairs. Their MC from the Press Conference earlier had raved about it. An up and coming Vietnamese singer is also expected to perform tonight. It’s always good to support their counterparts in the music industry. Jun Su does not drink but wants to stop by for the same reason and of course, to check out the singer. He heard she is cute - not that looks matter to him but it sure is a plus.

They arrive with their managers and are surprised to see how crowded the place is. Judging from the conversations around them, most of the guests are Japanese. As she walks them to their reserved seating area or booth, the hostess apologizes for the large crowd. A Japanese corporation is here for a conference and has flooded the bar after their dinner reception ended at the adjacent restaurant.

“I think we are ready.” They hear a voice say from the stage. Having quite a good view from their seats, they turn to the stage, expecting to see the singer, Emily. They were stunned to see the familiar face.

“Actually, I have a cold today.” The crowd responses with sympathizing ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’. “But I’ll do my best. Please be kind and forgive me if I don’t sound good.” The crowd’s applause signals they are on board. Hayaley chuckles and thanks them, “Arigato!”

 

“The first song is ‘Misekake No I Love You’,” Hayaley introduces the song, which draws some excited cries from the crowd. “Oh, some of you know this song?” The same people yells out that they do. “Okay, so this is going to be a shortened and toned-down version of the song,” as she strikes a few notes on the keyboard. The crowd signals they are ready by another applause. Hayaley checks with Michael, on the bass and the rest of the band. All nod. Hayaley starts singing.

Jae Joong tries to recover from the shock of seeing Hayaley on stage. She looks so comfortable interacting with the crowd. And now, she is singing the song so naturally. He couldn’t help getting drawn to the lyrics for the song:

 

A make-believe “I love you”, a broken “I miss you”
On nights like this, the thoughts return
It’s just me wanting - even these stars and moon aren’t shining
I want to be together with you, it’s maddening

Aya Kamiki – “Misekake No I Love You” (Live Piano Version)

 

“Yeah, arigato,” Hayaley expresses her gratitude for the warm applause. “This next song…I think you know ‘Detective Kana’, the anime which was so popular this past Summer? You may remember this song then – ‘I’m Ready Now’."

 

Baby, I'm ready now
I feel my walls crumbling...
 

Don't wanna wait no more
I need to run to you
But I don't wanna rush you
 

Baby, I'm ready now
I'm ready now

Hayaley - "I'm Ready Now"
 

This song really touch Jae Joong’s heart. Maybe because he can identify so well with some of the words to the song. Hayaley’s sorrowful voice tugs at his heart even more. He closes his eyes,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter