First Impression?

Butterfly Aria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

July 28, 2014: 8:55am, Conference Room in Gangnam, Seoul

Almost everyone involved with JYJ’s Asia Tour has crammed into the conference room, including Kim Jae Joong, Park Yoo Chun and Kim Jun Su - the three members that make up JYJ. This meeting will be the last before their first concert in Seoul on August 9. Since JYJ is one of South Korea’s leading pop group, execution has to be flawless. Everyone has to be on the same page.

At 9am sharp, Director Yoon Seung Hoon, the Tour Executive Director, addresses the room. “As most of you know, Audio and AV Director, Mr. Han Joon Young will not be with us on this Asia Tour. The Comeback Showcase on August 3rd will be his last collaboration with JYJ before he takes a long hiatus. He has done a tremendous job up till now not just for JYJ as a group but for Jae Joong and Jun Su in their solo projects.”

Jae Joong chimes in, “Without Mr. Han and his sound team, we probably wouldn’t sound so good.”

“Especially at the outdoor venues,” adds Jun Su.

“We all know that it takes more than just plugging in cables and setting up speakers to make the sound come together. He totally understands and knows our music inside out. Even when we are having a bad day and he has to make pitch adjustments, he patiently accommodates. So, on behalf of the JYJ members, thank you for the last few years. We appreciate it…And you will be a tough act to follow.”

As everyone claps in agreement to Jae Joong’s remarks, Yoo Chun nudges him, “Hyung, the new Audio Director will be burdened if he hears you.”

Jun Su scans the room full of Tour staff and says, “Are we meeting the new director today?”

“Yes, we are.” Director Yoon continues, “Knowing the sentiment of not just the members, but also the Stage Director and Lighting Director, we have very carefully selected the new Audio Director. But first, I would like to squash any rumors about us settling for second best. It’s true that our first choice pulled out last minute so it may appear that we haphazardly got someone on board but this person is by no means lacking. In fact, if not for prior commitments and conflicts, this person would have been a good first choice….Your new Audio Director has worked with Alicia Keys, Carrie Underwood, and One Direction.”

“Wait, is he American? Like Caucasian?” Jun Su is alarmed as he sees a possible language barrier issue.

“Also worked together with the famous Audio Director, Bruce Jackson, for the 2010 Shanghai Expo as well as the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver”.

By now, whispers are forming around the room. Ignoring them, Director Yoon continues with a slightly raised voice, “So I have no doubt that our new Audio Director will be successful. You may also notice that none of the audio/AV staff are present besides Mr. Han. That’s because the new audio director will be bringing in a new crew…and perhaps some new equipment.”

He receives all sorts of reactions from the room with this announcement, from loud gasps to mere whispers. But everyone has enough respect for Director Yoon to not question him directly. It was up to Jae Joong to ask the question, “Why is that so?”

“Because that was a condition for signing the contract. We had no choice given the short time we had.”

It is obvious from Jae Joong’s furrowed brows that he does not like this.

A knock on the door. Director Yoon’s assistant, Ahn Min Ji, pokes her head in. “Sir, your guest has arrived.”

“Good.” At his nod, his assistant holds open the door. The new Audio/AV Director steps into the room.

§

Hayaley Sung (Sung Hyun Jin) always appears confident, even arrogant sometimes. That confidence often commands attention especially when she has 3 or 4-inch heels on, making her 5’5” stature taller. This is exactly the aura she projected as she steps into the room. Her red turtleneck also making her stand out.

"Everyone, this is your new Audio Director. Sung Hyun Jin-shi, please greet everyone”. Hayaley bows, then raises an eyebrow at Director Yoon inquiringly. He rolls his eyes. “Please take a seat right there,” pointing to a seat on his right, opposite from the three JYJ members, who have been scrutinizing her since she arrived, especially Jae Joong. In fact, the whole room is curious.

She can feel eyes on her. She pulls out her tablet and keeps her focus on Director Yoon.

§

The moment she walked into the room, Jae Joong’s eyes narrowed. He says to himself, “So this is who is replacing Director Han?” A number of thoughts cross his mind, some decidedly not too pleasant.

Director Yoon goes on and on about the tour dates, venues and logistics. Occasionally, Jae Joong would glance at Hayaley.

“Are we sure about the height in this venue?” he suddenly hears her ask.

“We checked. Right, Jung Ah-shi?”

“Yes, Director Yoon.”

Hayaley turns to Park Jung Ah. “With whom? I seem to remember it was higher.”

“Neh? Higher? I don’t think so. I confirmed with Ms. Judy Kwok, Assistant Manager there.”

“Check again,” says Director Yoon, a little annoyed. He could sense some displeasure among the staff, probably against Hayaley for questioning Park Jung Ah, the Logistics Coordinator.

Jae Joong was going to comment but something held him back. He looks o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter