It's watching - 33

It's watching

Jungkook was still packing his remaining things back into his suitcase. Jimin was waiting for him on the bed, leaning back into the headboard. He was overwhelmed by what they had just witnessed. A man had just died in front of them and he couldn't help but feel responsible for it.

 

The ambulance had left ten minutes ago and they were more than anxious to get out of the hotel, unwilling to spend any more time than they had to in the room a man had died in. A heart attack, they claimed it to be and the with an extensive overlook of Jongseoks cold, dead body, they took the answer as valid and left them with their condolences. They would need a lot more than that to move on from this. It would haunt them, forever. At least they knew they had each other to lean on, the other their only partner in what felt like had been a crime.

 

Jungkook came to Jimin's side and touched his face, startling him. "Come on." He whispered. "Let's go home."

 

They gathered their baggage, physical and metaphorical and they headed down to the lobby. Well aware of the recent tragedy, the desk clerk watched them will sorrowful eyes. "I'm sorry about your friend." She muttered and took their key cards. "As a courtesy for your loss, your stay will be refunded back to your credit card. My deepest condolences." It was short and bittersweet and the two took her words with a saddened smile.

 

"That's kind, thank you." Jimin nodded his head.

 

They braced themselves for the cold outside and made their way to their car. "I'll drive." Jungkook spoke, taking the keys from his pocket. He blasted the heat inside the car and waited for it to warm up for a moment before they pulled out of the parking lot.

 

The road was clear of cars, but he drove slowly through the snow. Jungkook reached to Jimin and grabbed his hand into his own, giving it a gentle squeeze. Jimin looked at him. "We did the right thing, I think." Jungkook mumbled. "I hope we did, I don't really know." He knew his words weren't comforting, but they were honest. His heart still ached. "She's not suffering anymore. She moved on."

 

"Yeah." Jimin whispered. He laced his fingers with Jungkook's and sighed. "I know I said he deserved to die, but it feels really bad now." He regretted his earlier remarks, before the man had actually been such a fool to come to meet them. They both had known she could kill him, and she did. They lead him to his death.

 

"But you were right, Jimin. He was a bad man, he killed her first. He killed her even if he didn't do it with his hands." 

 

Jimin felt his eyes filling with hot tears, they warmed his cheeks as they fell. "He was bad. Now he's dead, and we killed him."

 

Jungkook braked the car as they came to a stop sign and he turned to his boyfriend, pulling on his arm. "That's not true. She needed to see him, even if we knew she could hurt him, we had to bring him to her. That's what she deserved." He brought Jimin's hand to his lips and placed a chaste kiss there, pulling it away to smile. He used his freed hand to swipe away the tears on the mans pink cheeks. "We didn't hurt him. He hurt her and she took care of herself in the end. That's what happened. Don't tell yourself anything different." Jungkook was still trying to believe that speech himself, but he couldn't stand to watch Jimin fall apart.

 

The shorter man nodded and sniffled, trying to pull himself together. He knew he would hurt for a long time and he knew that Jungkook was hurting too, maybe more than himself. Jungkook liked to hide his pain and be the strong one, and he was stronger, but this was an unavoidable kind of pain. It was full of guilt.

 

They finally reached their apartment and dragged themselves from the car, heaving their suitcases up the flight of stairs. A warm gust of air hit them as they entered and Jimin felt a new smile lift his dreary lips. "The heat is working again!" He exclaimed. They had figured it was broken before, but now with the absence of her, he was tempted to think it had always been her fault that they were living in a Popsicle home.

 

Jungkook chuckled softly and threw his bag down on the floor beside the front door. The atmosphere was lighter in their home. He took in a deep breath and released it with a heavy sigh of relief. Finally, they could truly be alone. He stepped forward to wrap his arms around Jimin's waist, pressing his body into the mans back. "We're home." He whispered. "We're home."