Echo

Dirty Pretty Things ↬ Volume 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am hopelessly in love with another memory.

An echo from another time, another place.

 

"Sha jang nim, I've already placed the documents that you had requested on your table."

 

"Thank you, quickly get going! I saw Daesung waiting for you at the doorstep~"

 

I gave a smile and pat on Tiffany's back. Even though both of us are friends since high school, we thought that it wouldn't be nice calling each other by name in the company, so using honorifics would be better.

 

The time was already 6:30pm - everyone in the office was packing up, wanting to go off as soon as possible.

 

Be it having to rush back home to cook for their family, having a date or gathering later on.

 

Then there's me, planning to spend my night in the office.

 

Everyday has been like this...

 

Ever since you were out of my life.

 

Just when the image of you appeared on my mind, the ringing of my phone could be heard.

 

/Yoong!/

 

/Hey, what's with the sudden phone call?/

 

/Yah, must there be a specific reason before calling you?/

 

/Come on, you always call when you need my help~ Kwon Yuri, I know you too well~/

 

/How can you say that! I'm hurt~/

 

/Just spill it./

 

/I am calling not because I need your help but I need to tell you something./

 

She sounded so serious when she was saying that sentence and that made me swallowed my saliva before replying.

 

/What is it?/

 

/Yoong, he's back./

 

He's back?

 

You're back?

 

/W-Who's back?/

 

I didn't notice that my hands were shaking uncontrollably, stuttering upon my words.

 

/Kwon Jiyong./

 

Just by hearing that name confirmed my assumption.

 

/Yoong? Yoona? Are you okay?/

 

I was staring out of the window from the highest level in this building as the image in front of me was getting blurier and blurier.

 

All the memory that I've tried so hard to keep it to myself came rushing back, every single one of them.

 

♡♡♡♡♡

 

"Yoong, are you coming with us?" Yuri asked hesistantly.

 

It was just a normal day after work, when Yuri suddenly questioned me.

 

Yes, I know where they are going.

 

Should I go, or not.

 

There's a gathering to celebrate your return to Korea, everyone from our clique would be there.

 

After you lost your memory, it was all the oppas that approach you, telling you things that had happened. Of course, all those things that they had told you, I am not part of them.

 

You get to know everyone of them once again, except me.

 

"L-Let's go."

 

"I am sure they would be really excited to see you!"

 

Just for this one time, I want to see you right in front of me.

 

Even though it's going to hurt a lot.

 

You can do this, Im Yoona.

 

♡♡♡♡♡

 

"Oh my god, Yoona!"

 

"Is that really Yoona?!"

 

"Yoong!!"

 

All sorts of screams of disbelief and surprise was heard after I opened the door of the VIP room. 

 

Everyone was either too shock to speak or they were just rushing to my side, pulling me for a hug.

 

I cut off most of my contact after that incident, except for a few close ones.

 

I darted my vision to you and there you were perfectly sitting there, staring confusely at me.

 

How I wish you were also rushing to my side like them, pulling me into a hug.

 

A hug that I have longed for.

 

"Oh Jiyong oppa, this is Yoona. My bestttttt friend~"

 

Yuri was the first one to break the tensed atmosphere in the room.

 

This is one of the reason why I didn't like to come to gathering.

 

"Oh, Kwon Jiyong, a heart surgeon. Nice to meet you, Yoona-shi. "

 

You extended your arms out, waiting for me to respond to your handshake, smiling brightly at me.

 

Yoona-shi.

 

Heart surgeon.

 

"Nice to meet you, Jiyong-shi..." I returned the handshake with my hand trembling a little.

 

Everyone in the room knew what happened and just stared quietly at us.

 

My eyes met yours and I wondered if I can pull through tonight's dinner because my heart broke instantly after you called me Yoona-shi.

 

No more names of affection from you, to me.

 

Since 4 years ago.

 

♡♡♡♡♡

 

The dinner went well, I got to hear some parts and parcel of your stay in America while everyone was chit-chatting like the usual.

 

At least, I didn't feel awkward talking to them after so long.

 

Now, all their eyes were on me.

 

"So, how's everything going Yoong? You were so heartless, cutting off the contact with the majority of us." Taeyeon unnie spoke up, pouting at me.

 

"Aww unnie, you know I love you the most rightttt?" I tried to act normal, as if my heart wasn't pain enough. "I am currently running a company. Ya'know taking over my dad, his health isn't really in good condition. So being a filial daughter, I have to take up the job."

 

"Everything has changed isn't it everyone..." I forced a strong smile on my face.

 

"Yoona-shi, can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure. You can just call me Yoona, spare me the formalities."

 

"Why are you friends with all of them, but not with me? Do we know each other?"

 

I was stunned for a moment, eye darting around, looking for someone who could help me.

 

"Don't get me wrong, I was just wondering if the both us know all of them, we should know each other. Isn't it suppose to be that case?"

 

I could feel my heart dropping as my hands trembled under the table.

 

I shouldn't have come.

 

Shouldn't have.

 

♡♡♡♡♡

 

"N-No, we're not."

 

The reason why I was stunned when you asked that question, was not that I was afraid of you knowing that we actually knew each other.

 

But, this was not the your first time saying such things.

 

Just like the first time when we met each other.

 

"Yah, why aren't YOUR friends here? Or more like Youngbae oppa and his friend. We've been waiting for almost an hour!"

 

I was grumbling with food in my mouth, complaining but still devouring the food.

 

"They will be here soon, just be patient."

 

"Well, you say this an hour ago too."

 

"Oh they are here!"

 

I wasn't really interested but my vision still followed Yuri's direction.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter