Victoria: 33

The Chase (Book 1)

I'm late at my own event! But how is that my fault? I couldn't pick out a dress to wear, and I felt really sick an hour ago. I wore my white dress and paired it with white heels. I just received a text from Jessica, saying everything is almost ready. I told her I'm almost there. Which is true. 

 

I paid the cab and quickly got out. I even hid my gift for Edison. I chose a black box and silver ribbon for it. When I went inside the function hall, almost everyone was there. We even had Seul-gi there, whom I thought we could reach. She's seated really far away from Sehun. I don't know what's with those two, but they're really avoiding each other. 

 

I sat beside Edison, and he smiled at me. There's a reason why I'm late, though. He told me that if I needed more sleep, I can. He says he'll take care of the event. But really? Not waking me up is a bit too much. I just smiled at him and placed the box in front of him. He was actually surprised to see it, though I'm not sure if he's being serious right now or sarcastic.Before I could look at his face, the EMCEE already called for Edison, and we all clapped. 

 

He stood in front of the mic and smiled. He waved at everyone, and I just rolled my eyes. We're here to announce our engagement, not run as president of the country. He cleared his throat, then flashed his widest smile. I just smiled and looked down. 

 

"Everyone, good evening." He said, and everyone responded. "Let's not say any cheesy lines here because I'm pretty sure nobody would want to hear it." Everyone's laughter echoed the room. "But, we'll make this very important announcement. By next month, I will be graduating from college. Then, after college," Edison looked at me and smiled. "I'll be marrying the most beautiful girl in the whole universe." He said that while walking towards me, holding his microphone. "We're happy to announce that we're engaged."I heard everyone's gasps, but they clapped after a few seconds. 

 

Everyone demanded us to kiss, so we did. It wasn't the steamy kiss that Edison and I really loved doing. But it still felt the same. It still felt romantic. And I love how I could only feel that for Edison. 

 

*

 

Everyone thanked us for inviting them. We stayed in the hotel after the party so we could celebrate on our own. Edison held my hand as we went towards the elevator. Before we entered the room, he went behind me and covered both of my eyes. I just laughed at what he did as I opened the door. 

 

"What are you doing?" I asked him. 

"Let's not ruin the surprise." He said that and guided me.He sat me down in a bed. 

 

He told me to keep my eyes shut while he's doing some finishing touches to his surprise. I found that amusing, though. He told me to open my eyes at the count of three. One... Two... Three...I opened my eyes only to see him shirtless, and a red ribbon tied around his waist. I rolled my eyes. I got the joke, really. 

 

"I'm sorry." He laughed and sat beside me. He pointed three boxes in the bed. "These are my real gifts for you." I looked at the first two massive boxes, and the small box on the farthest part of the bed. I opened the nearest one, only to see a white gown. "That will be worn on our wedding day." He explained, and I smiled. I opened the second box and saw a cream colored dress. It was not as grand as the first gown, but this is something a little less grand. 

I smiled at him and pinched his cheeks. "You really know me!" 

He handed me the last box. I slowly untied the ribbon wrapped around it, and when I opened it, I was really amazed. It was a ring embedded with gemstones. I smiled at him. This is a bit over the top, but I really appreciate it."You're gonna wear all of these on our wedding day." He said that and smiled at me. "I love you." 

"I love you more and more." I said that and kissed him. 

 

*

 

I felt a little hungry, so I went out quietly to buy some snacks. Just as I was about to step out of the hotel, I saw Tiffany walk towards me. I've never been this scared my entire life! She stopped and stood in front of me. Before I could say anything, she gave me a really crisp slap. 

 

"How dare you marry him? Isn't he your rebound?" She said that, and I could feel her anger. 

 

She went to my side and grabbed my hair. I yelled as I felt her nails scratch my head. She really grabbed my hair. I tried prying her hands open so she could let go, but it resulted in me hitting the pole behind me.I felt my head hurt, but it's more painful in my stomach. 

 

I heard Tiffany scream, and I looked down. I saw blood... I saw a lot of blood. Then my vision became blurry. I cried in pain, then I felt Tiffany holding my shoulders. I wanted to yank her hand away from me, but everything about me feels painful.I heard her yelling for help, and I also saw her pull out her phone. I just closed my eyes, hoping the pain would go away. 

 

I heard a siren and the sound is getting closer. I also heard someone yell, and it was Edison's voice. Not now, please. I don't want him to see me like this. I tried to open my eyes, and I'm already inside an ambulance. Edison is just holding my hand, and I could see tears fall from his eyes. No, this can't happen. I won't let it happen! 

 

Baby, please be safe. Not just for me, but for your dad, as well. We can't lose you. I'm sorry I wasn't good enough to take care of you. Give mommy one more chance to make things right. I promise I'll take better care of you when you are born. I'm sorry, baby.