Victoria: 27

The Chase (Book 1)

I went with him to his father's wedding a few weeks later. I did not expect it to be this soon. He's really nervous. His hand won't stop shaking, and his eyes aren't focused. I held his shoulder, and he looked at me as we walked towards the reception. 

"Hey..." I called, and he turned to me. "I'm here for you. I won't leave you." I said that and he just nodded. 

 

We were assigned to a seat with Jessica. I smiled at her, and she gave her brother a hug. Then turned to me. She gave me a hug, as well, and we sat down because the program's about to begin. Edison is still nervous. 

"I'm glad you both came. I thought Edison would be too stubborn." Jessica joked, and I just laughed. 

"I did convince him." I held his hand, and he held mine tighter. 

 

The program started, and I could see how happy his father is. I looked at Edison, who looked angry while watching the couple dance in the middle. They were laughing. Alice is a bit younger than Mr. Huang, probably just 5-8 years younger. If she was any younger, I'd get why Edison hates her too much.When the dancing was done, the MCs gave made us clank our glasses and spoons as we were supposed to yell "Kiss!" for them to do it. Jessica and I did, but Edison still did not budge. 

 

When they did, I saw the bride walk towards the microphone in the middle and looked at Mr. Huang. 

 

"Hey, love." She started, and Jessica gave a very high-pitched squeal. I saw the bride laugh. "I just want to say that I am so glad to be with you. You helped me and my family when we needed someone to ask for help." I saw Edison clench his fist. Why is she saying these? Everyone fell silent. "No words could explain how thankful I am to you. Jessica hated me at first, and your son, Edison, still hates me. But I don't mind. At least I have you and your love." She cried and went closer to Mr. Huang. "I am sorry if I messed around with your son's feelings. I kinda felt like it would be a good joke if I told him about how I am only after your money." She said that and kissed his new husband. "But you know I loved you, right?" She said and I saw her wipe the tears that fell from her eyes. 

 

The old man caressed her back, and when I turned to Edison, he was already trying to get up, then the old man spoke."Love, I'm sorry if some people could never accept you. It shouldn't matter. Therese and I, yes, I loved her, but not as much as I loved you. And I'm sorry if Therese put all the burden on your back. I could've lived alone, but you sticked to your word. You stayed with me despite my son blaming you for his mother's death." I quickly turned around and looked at Edison who was glued to where he was. "This is what Therese wanted. And I wish it was that easy to say in front of my children. But it's not. How can I tell Jessica and Edison I married you because it was their mother's dying wish?" 

 

I heard gasps from the crowd.I quickly stood up and walked towards Edison. I saw his shoulder go up and down. When I reached him, I saw tears in his face. I held his hand and wiped his tears. I didn't know if I should take him out of the venue or stay for his father's speech.I looked back, and they were looking at each other. So that's what happened in their family, huh. 

 

"I promise, when I see Edison, I will tell him about us." The old man continued and I could feel Edison trembling. "Right now, let's celebrate. Because we got reunited." He said that, and everyone clapped. 

 

I followed Edison outside the venue and he went to his car. I quickly went to the passenger's seat and wore my seatbelt. He just drove straight. I don't know what's going on his mind, but I hope he doesn't do anything irrational. He's making me feel nervous and scared. 

 

"Ed... Where are we going?" I asked."I needed to get away. I'm sorry." He said that and focused on his driving. I just nodded, hoping we won't be involved in a car accident. 

 

He parked nearby the sea wall. He got out of his car and sat on the seawall. We could see how beautiful the sun is setting. But I wish I could make happy memories with him here. I went to follow him and sat beside him. I looked at him, and he was crying. I quickly leaned closer and kissed his cheek. 

 

"I wish I could kiss all the pain away." I said that. "But I can't."

"My mother... She, uh..." He laughed bitterly. "Before she died, she kept on telling Jessica and I not to hate my father when she dies. I didn't know why she was like that, but when he introduced Alice to us, I got so mad. Back then..." He took a deep breath. "I thought my father cheated on my mother, and she found out. But all this time, it was what she wanted?" 

"Ed..." I held his hand and hugged him. "If you want a shoulder to cry on, I'm here." I said that, and he hugged me tighter. 

 

After a few minutes, he bawled. I patted his back softly. He's in so much pain right now. I wish I could take all the pain away. We stayed like that for a few minutes, before finally deciding to just go home. He was driving when he received a call. He asked me to answer it, so I did. 

 

"Hello?" I called out. 

"I've been calling Edison for almost an hour! Where is he?" I heard a familiar voice exclaimed. 

"Excuse me?" 

"I heard what happened at his dad's wedding. Where's he?" I know this voice. 

"He's fine. My boyfriend's fine." I told her. 

"I need to talk to Edison!" She yelled, I got a little irritated. 

"No you don't." I said that and took a deep breath. "Listen, . He's mine. Stop bugging us and live a normal life. Bye!" I quickly ended the call and put his phone back. 

 

 "Tiffany?" He asked.

"Yeah."