Victoria: 29

The Chase (Book 1)

It's almost over. :( I feel sad. :( 

 

-

 

I felt uneasy since Edison's never been that nervous before. Should I worry? But I trust him, though. And even if there's a reason for me to get jealous, I know he won't ever cheat on me. Because I am aware that he loves me. So much.I just brushed these thoughts off and went inside the office. 

 

When I entered, everyone was staring at me. It's weird enough that they don't look lethargic now, but it's weirder that they are all staring at me. Like they're watching my every move. I felt someone walk beside me, then I turned to see someone I know as Hyorin. 

 

"So, you are the daughter-in-law of Mr. Huang?" She inquired.What? 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I'm being honest. 

"Ey, don't lie!" She said and pointed at somewhere. 

 

I looked at where she was pointing, then I saw a bunch of gifts on my desk. I quickly walked towards my cubicle, then saw flowers, balloons and a cake on my table. I quickly read the card. It is from Mr. Huang! 

 

"To my beautiful future daughter-in-law. -Edward"

 

Everyone looked like they just saw something to be happy about. I'm not really sure why, though. I just shrugged and told everyone we could all eat the cake. I saw everyone smile and come to me. We went to the snack room and ate our cake there. I even left a slice for Mr. Dong. Good thing this isn't chocolate cake, it's carrot. 

 

I knocked on Mr. Dong's office and told me to come in. I brought him the carrot cake, only to see him and his company eating the same cake. The girl looked at me, then looked down. I just turned to Mr. Dong and saw him smile."This is from your future father-in-law." He smiled and I just nodded. I excused myself and went back to the snack room. 

 

I texted Edison, telling him about his dad's grand gesture, and to thank him. 

 

*

 

I went home and quickly lied down my bed. Today was extremely hectic, but I don't mind. This is better than not working. I looked at my phone, and after I texted Edison, the only message I received was 'okay'. I do feel a bit bad that he's been cold towards me. Have I done something wrong? Because if I did, I don't remember. But he should at least tell me what's going on.My phone rang, so I quickly answered it without looking at the caller ID. 

"Hello?" 

"Victoria, can we meet up?" Edison? 

"Ed? Is this you?" I asked. 

"Yeah. It won't take long." He said. "I'll text you where." He ended the call, and it made me feel extremely nervous.I quickly showered, then picked out my clothes. He texted a fast food chain near his school. 

 

I picked my faded jeans, striped shirt, black pumps and my black bag. I also wore the ring Jessica gave me and then went out. I just walked the distance since it's not that far.I looked for him, and he's at the counter, bringing with him bags of food. I don't know why he bought those. He smiled when he spotted me, and I took some of the bags he was bringing. He just nodded and let me take it. I know he's having a hard time. But what are these for? 

 

"So, care to explain why you've been so cold to me?" I inquired. 

"Hmm..." He pretended to think. "Let's just say it's all worth it."We put the bags of food in the backseat. 

 

I sat beside him and he started the ignition right away. The traffic isn't that bad, so we got out of the city right away. But I'm not really sure where we'll go. But I'll try to keep up with the surprise. I did not speak the entire car ride. When we were already far, he handed me a blindfold. I stared at it with confusion. 

"Just wear it." He instructed, and I nodded.I wore it, and because it's really quiet, I felt sleepy. 

 

*

 

He patted my shoulder, then helped me get out of his car. I wanted to remove the blindfold, but there is a reason why he wanted me to wear this. It's really quiet, though. We walked towards the stairs, and he's been assisting me thoroughly. Then we stopped. I was about to remove my blindfold, but he stopped me before I could."Wait." He said. I put my hand down. 

 

After a few seconds, he guided me to turn around. I did, then made me sit in a chair. He put something on my neck. I tried feeling it with my fingers. It feels like letters. He kissed my neck, then removed my blindfold. What I saw was amazing! 

 

I looked at the small garden that was filled with plants, even vegetables. I spotted a few fruit-bearing trees, then the green grass that covered the grounds of the garden. I saw a narrow pathway that was made by marble. I looked around, then saw what looked like a small house. I wanted to go there, but then I am still amazed at how spectacular everything looks. 

"Do you like it?" He asked nervously. 

"I love it!" I said, then hugged him. "But why are you showing this to me?" 

"We'll live here... with our eight children." He smirked. 

"Eight? Are you trying to kill me!?" I laughed, then saw him frown. "But why eight?" 

"So I could make a basketball team?" He joked. We just laughed. 

I kissed him. "Thanks, but this is a bit too much." I told him frankly. "I mean, practically speaking, this house is too big, and, I'm still not earning as much as this house would probably demand." 

"You worry too much. My mom bought this for me." He said that and kissed my nose. "She told me to bring my future wife here. You are my future wife, so..." I felt my cheeks burning. "She told me to show you this house, then promise you the things I could offer, not just as a man, but as a person, and as a lover." 

"But I never asked for these." I felt his hand wrapped around my waist. 

"Well, yeah. But this is one of the things I could offer. I love you, Victoria. Completely, fully, honestly..." He kissed my lips, and I felt his tear fall. He leaned against the wall, then I went to his side. "I'm sorry, I'm feeling so weak right now." 

"What's wrong?" I panicked, but he held my hand and kissed me again. 

 

He stopped and looked at me. I felt dizzy by his gaze.He hugged me once more. His tall body is wrapped around me. I could literally feel my heart beating so fast. And I felt his heart beat, as well. He buried his face on my neck, and I just hugged him tightly. I don't know what to say, and I just feel happy because he could've chosen someone else to love, but he's with me. He could've ignored me, or thought of me only as his teacher, but he didn't. He loved me, and I feel grateful. I feel overwhelmed. 

 

"Marry me... right now." He said that casually, and I felt my jaw drop. He held my hand and stared at me. "Please?"I could feel my head nod in agreement. It's a yes, and it will always be a yes.