Victoria: 21

The Chase (Book 1)

I'm not sure how this will turn out because I was so drunk last night, and even until now, I still don't feel too good. Nonetheless, please enjoy :)

 

 

-

 

 

I was sorting some files when I heard someone call for me. I looked up and saw a delivery guy. I stood up and he came to my cubicle. He handed me a form that I needed to sign, and I signed it.

 

 

It's been going on for a month. Someone would send me stuff, and I'm sure it's not from Edison. It's not his style. I opened the package, and I saw a brown teddy bear. I swear this is bugging me a lot. And I am, of course, aware of the sender's identity. I went outside and dialled his number. I couldn't take it anymore!

 

 

He picked up on the second ring. "Vic?"

"Kris, can we go out for lunch?" I said and looked at the time. It's almost lunch break. "Meet me at the usual place." I said and hung up.

 

 

I went back to my cubicle and saw Mr. Dong eyeing my package. I smiled at him and he smiled back. He was still eyeing my teddy bear. It's like he want it so bad.

 

 

"Mr. Dong, is there anything I can help you with?" I asked.

"I didn't know you collect stuffed toys as well." He said and smiled.

"I don't..." I said frankly and took out my planner in case he wants to ask for his next meeting. "Somebody just sent those."

"And you don't want them?"

"Well, I'm not really fond of these kind of stuff." I said and I know what he's going to say next.

"So... If you don't want those, can I put those in my room?" He said, and I just nodded.

 

 

 

He asked me to help him put the bears, heart pillows, and all the other stuff that Kris sent. I swear I don't know what I'm going to do with these, and even if I tried to return these, Kris will just leave them behind. I'd rather give these to someone who will enjoy these kind of stuff.

 

 

I asked Mr. Dong if I could leave for lunch. He was so engrossed with the new stuff in his room as he nodded. But he told me to come back before 1:45.

 

 

I went to the restaurant, and I saw him already waiting for me. I went to his table and the order handed us the menu. I order something easy to eat so I could leave quickly. I am starting to feel uncomfortable around him, now.

 

 

Not that I think he's dangerous. Now that he's my ex, it's just awkward. And besides, I thought we already closed anything about us? I don't get why he's acting like this all of a sudden. I wish he'd stop, too. He's gonna hurt Jessica.

 

 

"Kris..." I called out, and I saw him smile.

"Yes?" I sighed.

"I'll go straight to the point. You have Jessica, I have Edison..." I said, trying to make him understand that I don't like the gifts he sent.

He sighed, too. "But you told me you broke up with me because of my mom.

"Yes, but we're in a relationship, with different people, that is." I said and smiled at him. "I can see that Jessica is very much in love with you. And..." I saw sadness in his eyes. "I'm happier with Edison. I love him."

"I stopped what Jessica and I had. I love her, yes, but not as much as I loved you." He held my hand and gazed at me. "Please think twice..."

 

 

I held my breath and looked at him. I loved this man once, we've been together for more than three years. He was my everything, and before, I thought I could sacrifice anything just for him. For us. But now... Why do I feel so indifferent?

 

 

"Kris, the things between us, what we did, what we felt, the memories... It's all in the past." I said calmly and I fixed my gaze on him. "I'm sorry but I love Edison."

 

 

*

 

 

After eating lunch with him, I went to a coffee shop and ordered a take out. I still have a lot of time before 1:30, so I guess it's okay. I walked towards the building. This time, I'm sure I've hurt him so bad. But it's better this way, right? We're better without each other.

 

 

I sat down when I reached my cubicle. I saw someone come to my table quietly and looked around. I remember her as Yoona. She took a swivel chair from an empty cubicle and sat beside me. I felt her nudge me, and I looked at her full of curiousity. I am dumbfounded.

 

 

"So..." She spoke softly and when she was sure no one was listening, she turned to me. "Those stuff that you received. Were those Young-bae's?

"Uhh..." I wasn't sure what to say.

"I thought so." She said and laughed. "My boyfriend is pretty close with him."

"Really?" I asked, not really curious, just to keep the conversation going.

"Yeah. The three of us were college buddies. I've never seen Young-bae so troubled. So I won't know how he acts when he's sad or something." She said and returned the swivel chair, looking scared.

I looked behind and saw Mr. Dong Young-bae tapping his foot on the ground and folded his arms. Yoona smiled at him and went beside him. "Look, She should know what kind of boss she's working for, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, get back to work, Yoona." He said that jokingly, but with authority.

"Okay." She smiled at me before she went back to her cubicle.

 

 

I just saw Mr. Dong Young-bae shaking his head.

 

 

 

*

 

 

Edison picked me up from work. I smiled at him, but he's frowning. I went to him and kissed his cheeks. He was still frowning. It's bothering me.

 

 

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He sighed. "Nothing.

 

 

When we got home, I went to my bed directly and closed my eyes for a little while. Edison looked like he's really bothered, but he wouldn't tell me. I'm afraid I'd piss him if I asked too much, so I stopped inquiring. After a while, I felt him sit beside me.

 

 

"Vic..." I heard Edison call.

I opened my eyes and looked at him. "Hmm?"

"I need to leave." He said and kissed my forehead.

I saw a small bag on my bed. "As in leave the house?"

"I have to watch over my sister." He said and sighed. What happened? "Jessica tried to commit suicide."

"What!?" I sat straight held his hand. "What happened?"

"I don't know. That's what I wanna know." He said and kissed my lips. "I'll text you when I can.

 

 

 

I couldn't believe what I heard. Out of all people, Jessica? Really? But then, I remembered my conversation with Kris. Did he really do that? I hope he didn't. I wish he just stayed with her. I feel sorry for Jessica. But... I felt like I should tell Edison about this.

 

 

"Ed..." I called, and he looked at me. "Can I talk to you for a few minutes? I promise, this will only take a few minutes."

He sat back down and looked at me. "What is it?"

"Kris..." I paused, trying to look for the right words. "I ate lunch with him today." He did not answer. "And he told me he broke up with Jessica..."

"Ahh, yeah. It's been a while since they broke up." He said that casually, but I could sense the anger in his voice.

"He asked me to think twice... To choose between you and him." I said that, and I saw him clench his hand into a fist.

"That jerk." He said and stood up. "I'll just... Go."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." I said and followed him downstairs.

 

 

He still looked angry, and I'm trying to keep up with his pace, but his legs are too long, and I'm too slow. I walked towards the gate, and he stopped. He looked at me and held my hand.

 

 

"You chose me, right?" He asked.

 

 

I felt a pang in my heart. Does he still doubt? I love him. I slowly nodded, and he closed his eyes. I saw a tear fall from his eyes. He kissed my forehead and gave me a hug. I hugged him back, and when he let go, he said.

 

 

"Thank you. You finally love me." He said and smiled.