Victoria: 28

The Chase (Book 1)

I saw how stressed Edison looked. But he looks happy. Did his father finally tell him everything? I went to him and hugged him. I don't know what happened, but if everything turned out okay, then I'm happy for him. I truly am. 

 

"So... are you and your dad okay now?" I asked. 

"Yes." He said that. "And they invited us to dinner later." 

"What!?" He just shrugged. 

"Why!?" I couldn't hid the surprise and disbelief in my voice.

"What?" He laughed, so I glared at him."Nervous?" He asked. I just sighed and nodded. "Don't be. My dad likes you." 

"Yeah, right!" He quickly gave me kiss. 

"I promise, he likes you." He said that and I just nodded. 

 

*

 

This is nerve wracking. I am wearing a simple pink polo and black pleated skirt. I kept my look simple by not wearing accessories, and then wore my black pumps. And to complete this simple look, I topped it off by bringing with me my pink mini-bag.We went inside his father's mansion. I held his hand tighter, and I looked at Edison. Before I could tell him to turn around, I already heard Jessica calling my name. I cursed inside my head and tried my very best to smile at her. She came and hugged me. I hugged her back and she held my hand. 

 

"Hey, you're early!" She exclaimed. "Let's go to my room first." 

 

Before I could ask for Edison's permission, she already dragged me upstairs.She locked the door behind her and motioned me to sit on her bed. I just laughed at what she did and I sat. She went to her drawer and gave me a silver ring. Before I could ask what the ring is for, she already wore it in my ring finger. 

 

"Perfect fit!" She said and hugged me. "I knew it!" 

"You bought us a ring?" I laughed at her. 

"Well, nope. But our mom bought that a month before she died. It's supposed to be mine... But I don't think I'll get married any sooner." I was taken aback. 

"Then I can't take it." I tried to remove it, but she held my hand. 

"I'm serious. I don't think I'll get married any sooner. I'm flying back to Hong Kong next year. I'll pursue my passion. And besides, I want to feel free again." She said that and held my hand tighter. "Take care of my brother, okay?" 

 

*

 

We were eating silently, and I could see Jessica glancing at me and their father. I heard the old man clear his throat, then turned to me. 

 

"So, where do you work?" He inquired. 

"I used to work as a college professor, then landed on a secretarial position in a firm here in the city." I answered honestly, hoping they won't look down on me. 

"And may I know which company it is?" He said as he sliced his piece of meat. 

"D&K Industries." I said, and I saw a smile light on his face. 

"Ah, yes." He said that and ate the meat. "You know, let's just cut the chase. If you intend to marry my son, I don't mind. I'd like for you to do that." 

I heard someone choke, and we all looked at Jessica who is now drinking water."Sorry." She apologized and wiped . "Dad, we're still eating!" 

"I'm telling her my thoughts, Jessica. Don't I have the right to do that?" I want to laugh right now, but I don't think it's the appropriate thing to do. I saw him turn his attention to me again. "Well, are you?" 

I cleared my throat to lessen the uneasiness I feel right now. "To be completely honest, I... uh... I feel happy with Edison. But..." I felt everyone staring at me. "If it's Edison, I can wait for him. Just not now. When he's finished college."Everyone was silent for a while, and I could've sworn he was not amused with my answer. 

 

But then, I heard him clap his hands. We all looked at the man in the middle. He stood up and went to his son's place. He tapped his back and laughed out loud."Well done!" He said and hugged his son's neck. "You found a keeper!"We all smiled at what the old man said. 

 

*

 

We're on my way to my house. I still couldn't believe what happened back there. His family is... okay with me? They don't think I'm gonna drag Edison down? They don't think I'm a burden to him? Good thing I fought the urge to jump around their mansion and hug everyone. This is the first time I felt accepted. I felt loved.When we arrived, I kissed him and told him to meet up with me next week. He nodded and I went inside my unit. I was about to go inside when I noticed I'm missing something. Oh yeah, I forgot my bag! 

 

I went back outside, hoping he still did not leave yet. He didn't. I knocked on his windshield. I saw him jump in surprise. What's gotten into him? He opened the door and I told him I'm gonna get my bag. He just nodded, but I noticed him hiding his phone from me.I just kissed him again and went back to my house. I looked back and saw that he rushed to leave. What's happening? Whatever's happening right now, I hope everything turns out okay. 

 

I hope his family's situation right now is fine. And I hope there's no reason for me to feel uneasy.I told him to text me when he gets home. I went to the bathroom and took off my clothes. I filled the tub and went in. The water is warm, so I let it get to me. I looked at my phone, it's 10:33 pm. He'll get home by around 11:30. I'll just wait for him to text me. 

 

*

 

I woke up and looked at my phone, it's already 11:57 pm. I checked my inbox, but he still did not text me. Where is he? I stepped out of the tub and wore my bathrobe. I called his number and put it on loud speaker. While choosing my clothes, his phone kept on ringing. I called him again, but he did not answer.I texted him, telling him to text me when he can. 

 

I don't know what's going on, but I'm really worried now.