Victoria: 25

The Chase (Book 1)

I knocked on Mr. Dong's office, and he told me to come in. He motioned the seat in front of me, and he handed me his wallet. I stared at it with confusion, and I looked up to see Mr. Dong's very stern look. 

 

 

"I need you to buy a dress. I'm going to attend a wedding soon, and I don't want to my date to look shabby." He told me that. 

I felt a bit insulted. "I'm sorry, sir, but I can buy a dress for myself."

He raised a brow at me. 

"Aren't you going with your boyfriend?" 

"What?" I'm still confused. What's he talking about? 

"I mean, buy a dress for my date." He said that and laughed. "Did you think I wanted to buy a dress for you?" 

If I could melt right now, I wish I would. That was embarrassing! "Ah, it was a bit confusing, sir." 

He just laughed, then spoke again. "My date is a bit tall, and it has to be pastel-colored. Please don't buy pink for her. She looks good on mint-green. And for her shoes, buy something that would match her dress. But you choose, okay?"

"Why don't you buy the dress with her, Mr. Dong?" I had to ask him. 

"Because I have a lot of female hormones, right?" He said that sarcastically. I fought back the urge to roll my eyes in front of my boss. "I'm giving you the whole afternoon. Be back before 5." 

I left his office and grabbed my bag. Yoona came up to me and grabbed my arm out of the office. We rode the elevator, and when we got out of the building, she hailed for a cab. I just laughed at what she did. 

 

 "Young-bae wanted to ask me, but was too ashamed to tell me himself. So he ended up asking you. Sorry." She said that continuously. 

"It's okay. It's my job." I told her and she smiled. 

 

We both arrived in a boutique, and Yoona choose a lot of dresses that best fit Mr. Dong's description. We chose two dresses, a mint-green flowy dress and a yellow off-shoulder dress. For the shoes, Yoona did all the choosing. I'm not really good at choosing clothes and shoes for other people, so I let Yoona do all of it.

After choosing the clothes, shoes and accessories, we decided to buy some snacks. I payed for it since she helped me do my job properly. 

 

We bought churos for ourselves, and decided to buy everyone snacks and coffee, as well.

We went back to the office, and I went directly towards Mr. Dong's office. He motioned the table, and I placed the shopping bags there. He went to the couch and checked the shoes, he likes it. Then he checked the dress. He looked at me, and smiled.

"Thanks. These will fit her perfectly." He said that and I nodded. 

 

*

 

I went home and went to bed directly. Edison won't be here because he went home. But I understand, though. I mean, Jessica needs him more than I do. But then, I felt a bit lonely. I'm not used of him not being around anymore.

I texted him that my office mate invited me to her wedding, and she invited us both. He said yes and I smiled. At least we'll be together next month. 

 

But right now, he needs to focus on his sister. She's still emotionally unstable, and I hope Kris realizes what he did.

But who am I to say that? I left him emotionally unstable, as well. I left him because I was too scared. And the only person who stayed with him was Jessica. I shouldn't have told him about the reason why I broke up with him. Maybe right now, they're happy. 

 

I felt too lazy to cook, so I went out to eat. I was dining alone. Then I saw someone sitting in front of me. My eyes widened and I hugged her! I missed her! So this is how Hyoyeon looked now. She looked good in blonde. 

"How are you?" I asked. 

"Should I be asking you that?" She said and smiled at me. "How are you?" 

"I'm good! Are you still dancing?" I asked her. 

"Yeah. I got accepted in New York!" She said that and I tried not to squeal. But I did anyway.

"How about you? When are you gonna dance again?" She asked, then my expression fell. 

"I don't think I'll dance again." I said that, and she looked at me with disappointment. 

"It's a shame, though. You were one of the best dancers." She said that, and I just smiled bitterly at her. 

"That's all in the past." I said that, and she smiled at me bitterly, too. 

Then she quickly recovered. "I have to go. I just had to talk to you." She said that, and I stood up to give her a tight hug. "I'll miss you." 

"I'll miss you, too." I said that, and she walked away. 

 

Hyoyeon and I were in the same dance group before. We trained together, then danced for a public performance. But I left after one competition because of what happened to my mother. I missed dancing, though. I wish I could dance again, but I'm too afraid.

I continued eating. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, so I pulled it out. I was surprised to see Kris' call. I sighed. Then answered the call. What does he want now? 

"Kris?" I called. 

"Can we talk?" He said that, and I just sighed. 

"I'm in a restaurant right now." I replied, and he was quiet for a few moments. 

"Okay, text me which restaurant. I'll be there." He said and hang up. 

 

*

 

He arrived after an hour, and he sat down in front of me. Victoria, be merciless. This is what you need to do so he would stop. Because the more you show compassion, the more he'll think you're still in love with him. You're not. At least not anymore. Right? 

"Kris..." I trailed off. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. I gathered all the words in my head, then I spoke. "Let me finish first, okay?" I saw him nod. And I continued. "I think you know what we're going to talk about, right? Let's end everything. I already returned the gifts you gave me, I think the best thing we should do now is to delete each other's number. Kris, I'm really sorry for being a coward. I didn't fight for you, but I'm really in love with Edison. And seeing his sister hurting because of you makes me sad. I'm not asking you to get back with her. Just... Let's cut off each other's connection. And Jessica is my friend. Please don't hurt her anymore." 

He looked away. "Please don't do this." He whispered. 

"I'm sorry. But please, let's end this once and for all." I said that and stood up. 

 

I walked away from him.

I cried, not because I still love him, but because this is hurting me, too. No matter how much I cut him out of my life, he will always be special to me. Because he was my greatest love. And he will always have a special place in my heart. But we're hurting too many people. And this isn't good for everyone. 

 

 Call me heartless, but I believe this is the best for everyone. I went to an ice cream stall and ordered strawberry ice cream. Then I walked towards the park. I swear this is pissing me off. I feel like everybody is dating here. I sat down in one of the benches and ate my ice cream. 

 

I thought about Edison. It would be nice to be here with him. Eating ice cream, chilling, just talking. I smiled bitterly. I miss him now more than ever. But I fear that like Kris' mother, his father might not be too open for his son to date someone who isn't the same status as them.

I am not rich, and I haven't achieved much. I pity myself, but I don't think that's needed. 

 

I just need to work extremely hard, right? But what if despite all the hard work I did, everything is still not enough? Will we end up together? Or will we end up separated? I hope not. Because I am so in love with Edison. And I could fight for us. If fate is on my side, I would keep him beside me and never let him go.