Victoria: 26

The Chase (Book 1)

It's already 1:30 pm, and I am still not done packing my bag. Edison and I decided to stay in the resort for a week. When I was finally done, I put it at the back seat of his car. I'm already wore the dress for the wedding because we're a bit short on time. 

 

Edison just got back from Hong Kong, where Jessica is taking a break. I offered to drive, and he didn't argue. I wore my sunglasses and started driving. Yoona's wedding will start at 6 pm, so I still have a few more hours to spare. It's not that far, anyway. When I arrived, I quickly went to our reserved room and retouched my make up. 

 

I brought with me my gift for the newly weds. It's nothing fancy. But I bought Yoona a pearl necklace because I know she'd look good in it. Then I bought her husband cuff links. I'm not sure if he'd like it, though.I saw Edison looking at me with tired eyes. I feel bad for making him come with me even though I know he wants to be with his sister. But he said Jessica's fine, and that she even wanted Edison to be with me. 

 

I held his hand and walked towards where the wedding will be held.We both sat down in our assigned seats, and we were instructed to stand up to welcome the bride. I could see people from the office, and Mr. Dong is the groom's best man. We all looked behind so we could see the bride. I felt so happy seeing Yoona in a wedding gown. I might not be close with her, but I felt like we've known each other for a long time. 

 

"Someday, it's gonna be you and me." Edison whispered.I felt my cheeks burning. 

"S-stop it!" I said softly. 

I heard him chuckle. "I"m serious." Then I felt his arm around my waist. "I promise I'm gonna marry you when the time is right." 

 

*

 

After they said their vows, we all went to the reception, which was in a function hall. We were amazed by how they decorated the area. It was almost all yellow or red. But it looked beautiful. Even the flower placement, the bows. The table cloth was red and yellow. And I saw Yoona changed into a different dress. She's wearing an off-shoulder, knee-length, off-white dress. 

 

The food served were mostly expensive seafood or expensive beef. Even our table was served with a massive lobster. I was so amazed. If I could judge Yoona by how she looked at work, she was a regular working girl who earns enough. I didn't expect her to be this rich.We all ate the food. 

 

*

 

Now, it's time for the newly weds to slice the cake. I saw them laughing, and it looked so beautiful. They sliced the cake, which happened to be something I'm not really fond of- chocolate.They served each other. And when they smiled at the camera, they flashed their chocolate-filled teeth. They looked so cute! When I get married, I hope it would be as beautiful as this. They both look so happy, like they never had any problems. 

 

They all lined up for the cake. All-except Edison and I. I noticed Yoona giving me signals to come closer to her, so I did. So did the other girls. Even Mr. Dong's date came closer.Before I realized what was happening, someone already caught the bouquet. I laughed at how devastated some of us are. Even me. The short, but very cute girl just laughed. They both hugged, I feel like they're best friends or something. 

 

Then it was the men's turn. The groom threw the garter towards someone. And a very tall, but skinny guy caught it. We were so amazed, and everyone was in awe because he was so handsome. I think the girl knew him because she kept on laughing.I went back to my seat and I could see Edison smiling. 

 

What's in his mind? Did he really mean what he said earlier? Because if he was joking, it was a bad joke. I actually want it to happen. I really want Edison. But I have doubts. I am very uncertain about the future. Like... what if we don't end up together? Or what if he realizes he still loves his ex? Isn't it ironic? That he allowed me to use him as a rebound, but now, it feels like I'm the second option. 

 

*

 

I bade farewell to the newly weds because they'll be travelling somewhere for their honeymoon. I thanked Yoona for inviting me, and she just smiled at me. I can see it in her eyes, she really loves this man. 

"Hey..." I heard Edison call.

"Yes?" I went to his side. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead. "I love you."

I smiled at him. "I'm very much in love with you."

 

*

 

We went to our room and took a shower. When I was finished, he quickly went inside. I changed into my sleepwear when his phone rang. I instinctively looked at who was calling. It was an unregistered number. I answered it, hoping it wasn't a prank.

"Hello?"It was quiet for a while.

"Who is this?"

"This is Victoria, Edison's girlfriend." Is this his dad? "Who is this?"

"Ah, please tell Edison I called." He said that and quickly hang up.

 

Just when I put his phone down, he went out of the bathroom. He looked at me with curiousity. I just pointed his phone and told him that his father called. He sighed, though I'm not really sure why. He took his phone and typed something.

 

After a while, he was still quiet, so I decided to ask him what was wrong.I sat beside him. "Care to tell me what's going on?"

"It's nothing." I could sense the insincerity in his voice.

"It's not nothing, Ed. Please?" I pleaded.

He looked at me, then groaned. "Fine. My dad called. He's really marrying that . And he even invited me."

"Alice?" I inquired, he nodded. "Why won't you go?"

He looked at me with disbelief. "Should I really be there so I could see my father celebrate his infidelity?" His tone was a bit high. "My mother died, a month later, he introduces someone as his girlfriend. Isn't that a bit unethical?"

"Is that why you hate her so much?" I held his hand and pressed it lightly. "You know... I knew someone who became a mistress without her knowledge." He was listening to me intently, so I continued. "And that broke her heart. It hurt her so much, that she died. And because of that person's death, another person couldn't continue doing her dreams." I couldn't hold my tears anymore. "M-my... mother. She was someone's mistress, too. But you know what the guy said? He told my mother he was bored, and he needed a past time. He said that and broke my mother's heart." I looked at him, and by looking at his expression, I know he's at loss for words. "I'm not saying you should stop hating Alice. I don't know your history, but sometimes, not everything is what it seems. There might be another reason why your father chose to be with Alice than to be alone, right?"

He scoffed. "Like what?""He's probably lonely, and he needs someone to spend his life with." I told him."He should've bought a dog, then. Aren't Jessica and I enough?"

I smiled at him bitterly. "Children may bring happiness to a parent, but it's still different when you spend your lifetime with someone who is special. Something a child or a relative can't be a part of." I said that, hoping he'd take my explaination.I just saw him nod.

"I'm going to their wedding. But please be with me. I can't do it alone." I smiled at him and gave him a hug.