Victoria: 24

The Chase (Book 1)

I felt someone kiss my forehead. I looked up to see Edison smiling at me. I suddenly felt conscious about how I looked. I mean, I am , and I'm not really sure how I look right now. Did I drool? Or is there something in my eyes? I'm not sure.

I quickly got up and ran towards the bathroom. I checked on my face. Nothing. Then I realized how stupid I am. I left all of my clothes on the room. I just closed my eyes and hoped that Edison went out of the room. 

 

I checked if he left, but he's still in bed, waiting for me. I felt my cheeks burning as I slammed the door. I heard him laughing. I swear I'm gonna make him stop once I am changed. I heard him knock on the door. I opened it slightly, and he handed me my clothes. He was still smiling, but he's wearing his boxers and shirt. I quickly grabbed the clothes to get changed. 

 

 I went out and saw him sitting on his bed. I went to him and quickly gave him a light punch on his arm. He just laughed at what I did and wrapped his arms around me. He kissed the top of my head and pinched my cheek. 

 

 "Good morning, beautiful." He said that without a hint of teasing, so I guess he's I can talk to him seriously now. 

"Good morning." I replied and kissed his lips. 

 

 We still have a bit of time, so I prepared breakfast. I also told him to eat while I get ready for work. I took a shower, then changed into my white polo, pink blazer, black pencil-cut skirt and black pumps. I wore a minimal make up because I'm too lazy to do my make-up. 

 

 I saw Edison sipping his cup of coffee. I sat beside him and ate my breakfast, as well. I munched on my toast and looked at Edison. He was still staring at me. I laughed at his expression. Why is he like this? 

 

 "Hey! Don't laugh." He said seriously. 

"Okay, sorry..." I said and ate my toast quickly. 

 

 I checked to make sure everything's in place. And when I'm sure the house is clear, I told Edison I'd leave. He offered to give me a ride, and he did. I kissed his lips then went out of his car to the building.

I looked at everyone who looked lethargic, as usual. When I sat down, I was greeted by a very happy Yoona. She went to my side and handed me an envelope. 

 

I looked at her with confusion. But she answered the questions in my head.

"I'm getting married next month, and I invited almost everyone here. You're coming right?" She said that almost too quickly for me to answer. 

"Ah, sure..." I just said and accepted the envelope. "Thank you for the invitation."

"Nah, anyway, bring your boyfriend, okay? The location for the wedding is written in the invitation." She said that and patted my back. "Anyway, I'll go back to my place before I get caught by Young-bae." She said that and left. 

 

*

 

I've been accepting a bunch of calls from a lot of potential clients, and almost half of them are rejected by Mr. Dong. I'm not sure if that's good for his business, though. The phone rang for the nth time, and I picked it up. 

 

 "Good Morning. Is Young-bae busy?" A man who has a soft voice inquired. 

"He's not. May I know who I'm speaking with?" I asked. 

"Jiyong." He plainly said. 

"I'll connect your call to Mr. Dong, Mr. Jiyong." I said and connected the call to Mr. Dong's office. 

 

After a few hours, I excused myself from Mr. Dong so I could eat lunch. He only told me to buy food for him, as well. I bought food from a restaurant, and I quickly returned to the office. I ate it inside a designated room for employees to eat or rest. After eating, I went back to my place and continued my work.

I checked the time. 

 

*

 

It's already time. I picked up my bag and went outside. I already texted Edison that I'm on my way home, but he told me to wait. Mr. Dong already left two hours before I signed out.

I waited for him, and when his car parked in front of me, I quickly got in. I kissed him, and he smiled at me. He said we should eat in a restaurant. I hesitated at first, but he said it's been a long time since we ate out. Which is kind of true. 

 

We arrived in a Japanese restaurant. And when we entered, I saw someone come to Edison's side and linked her arms around him. I glared at her, but I think she's too preocuppied by Edison's presence. I held his hand tighter, and I could see him struggling. 

 "What are you doing, Tiffany?" Edison finally asked. 

Tiffany stood in front of him, and she looked at me from head to foot. Then turned her attention back to Edison. "Well, I happened to see you here." 

"Who are you?" I finally snapped. 

She scoffed. "And who are you?" 

"She's my girlfriend," he emphasized the word 'girlfriend'. "Victoria. Vic, my ex, Tiffany." 

She smiled at me, but I can tell it's fake. "Nice meeting you." 

I scowled at her, making sure she gets the hint. I am not amused. I looked at Edison. "Let's go?" 

 

Before we could sit, I heard her speak again. "Why are you here, anyway?" And she stood in front of us once more. "I mean, you don't eat sushi."

"Japanese isn't just about sushi. Let us eat in peace, Tiffany." He also snapped, then motioned me to sit down.

 

The waiter handed us the menu, and when she finally noticed that Edison dislikes her presence, she finally left. I sighed. I didn't know I held my breath with her presence. I'm not even sure why. I mean, it's not like I'm threatened by her or anything.

"Sorry. She's been bugging me lately." Edison apologized.

"Well, it's nothing to worry about, right?" I looked at him, and he nodded. "I want to hear it, Ed."

"You don't have to worry about her. I don't love her anymore." He said that and held my hand. "Trust me."

"I do trust you." I said that and smiled at him.