Victoria: 22

The Chase (Book 1)

I felt bad for staying at home yesterday, so I decided to visit Jessica after work. I asked Edison what hospital and what room. I bought a fruit basket and a chocolate cake. I hope she likes these. I'm not really sure what to give to people who are hospitalized.

 

 

I saw Kris outside her hospital room, contemplating whether he should enter or not. I quickened my pace. He saw me coming, and was surprised. I just nodded at him and knocked. I heard Edison telling me to come in. So I did.

 

 

The first thing I noticed was the lack of gifts on her bedside table. I smiled at Jessica, and I saw her smile bitterly at me. I'm not sure if she's mad at me or anything, but I brushed it off. I'm here to make her feel better.

 

 

"It's nice seeing you, Vic." She said, and I placed the fruit basket and the cake on the table.

"I hope you like chocolates, though." I told her.

"I love chocolates, thanks." She said and looked at Edison. "Ed, can you buy me some food?"

"Uh, sure..." I saw the question in his look.

"I'll stay here." I said, and he nodded.

 

 

When Edison left, I felt uneasy. Knowing Kris was outside, I'm not really sure if Edison will stay calm or else. Jessica's his sister, after all.

 

 

"Vic..." She called.

"Yes?" I looked at her, and she told me to sit near her. I did.

"So... How are things going between you and Edison?" She inquired.

"Good." I said. I really don't know what to say.

"I'm glad to hear that." She said and held my hand. "Please, no matter what Kris tells you, don't leave my brother, okay?" I didn't speak. Why is she saying this to me? "To be honest, I just want my brother to be happy. I'm not trying to manipulate you or anything."

"I never really thought about it that way." I said and smiled at her.

 

 

*

 

 

Edison's taking too long. I excused myself to look for Edison. Jessica just nodded, and the moment I stepped out, I saw Kris aim a punch at Edison. I tried to mediate the fight, but I only got hit! I felt something wet and sticky flow from my nose. I couldn't even get up. I wiped it, and I saw blood coming out from my nose.

 

 

Other people immediately came to stop the fist fight that was going on, and some nurses came to tend my injury. I told the nurses that I don't need to be admitted. My face is a bit numb, but this isn't really something big. I'm more worried about Edison. What actually happened to them?

 

 

I saw Edison come to me. He caressed my nose, then kissed my forehead.

 

 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I didn't protect you. I was supposed to-"

"Hey... It's okay." I held his hand. "I'm okay. I can't smile, though."

"You shouldn't have done that." He said seriously and held my hand tighter.

"I tried to stop you two." I said seriously. "What happened to Kris?"

"He said he wanted to talk to my sister." I saw him frown. I pressed the bruise on his face. "OW!"

"Can you not frown?" I requested. "And besides, what if Kris came to apologize?"

"Then what? Make my sister his rebound again? Then leave her in that state? Not again." He said that and I shushed.

"In the end, only Jessica will decide." I said and hugged him. "I know you're trying to protect your sister, but let her choose, okay?"

 

 

*

 

 

When we both got back, I saw someone else visit Jessica. When Edison and I went inside the room, I saw a man that looked like Edison, only a bit buffer, and older. The woman he was with stared at me. I felt uncomfortable. I don't know who she is, but looking at her, I think she's Edison's mother. She looks younger, though.

 

 

"Jes, we'll leave." Edison said and kissed his sister.

"Edison..." The man called him. "Aren't you going to introduce your company to us?"

I was about to turn around when Edison held my hand firmly. "No need for that, sir."

I held his hand and smiled at him, then I flinched because of the pain. I turned around to face his father. "I'm Victoria, Victoria Song."

"Nice meeting you." He said and smiled. They do look a like.

The girl held out her hand in my direction. "Alice."

Before I could shake her hand, Edison already dragged me out of the room. "Don't talk to her."

"Why?" I asked. "Who is she, anyway?"

"She's my father's ." Oh...