Victoria: 12

The Chase (Book 1)

Victoria, who is still in her room, lying on her bed, is practically still a bum. It's been a month since she started applying as a teacher. Her credentials are good. Her records are good, she did not commit any crime, so she's still wondering why no school would hire her. Should she try another job?

 

But what job? Should she— 'No!' she thought. She's never going back to dancing! Ever since the day she won a dance competition, she swore she'd never do it again. Because that day, was the day her mom died.

 

 

*

 

I am in front of this crowd, trying to wow them with my amazing dancing skills and my flexibility. My groupmates were still nervous, and so am I. But what the heck, we joined this competition for various reasons. I joined for the prize money, and some of them pledged their share to be given to me. And I was so thankful for it.

 

Some were looking for a place in the society. Dancing in this city isn't really that popular because we live in a city where people are so busy chasing money, that they forget their real dreams. And some of them are just trying to prove a point. Maybe they want their parents to understand that this is what they want? I don't know.

 

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, let's give it up for the next dance group, a girl group, Dancing Queens!"

 

I walked towards the stage, and when the music started, we also did our routines. From simple dance moves, quickly transitioning to a little bit difficult ones, then to the part where we'll show how flexible we are. And when it was near the ending part, I lifted my right leg upward and did a split.

 

 

The crowd was cheering for us. And we went backstage. We changed into a different clothing because our costumes were too hot. I wore a simple, white shirt and black leggings. I even tied my hair just so I could cool down.

 

Our group was called once again to the stage so they could finally announce the winner. I feel nervous, really, really nervous. But I just brushed it off. Win or lose, there's always a next year. We can always try again.

 

"The winner for tonight..." The host was trying to make the moment more thrilling. I hated it. It's making me feel anxious. "Group number..." Another silence, and then he read his cue card. "seven!"

 

Did we hear it right? Group number seven? My eyes started to widen, and my group mates were so happy that they kept on jumping on stage. We hugged, we even carried our star dancer and gave the trophy to her.

 

"Thank you so much." We all said to the hosts and the judges. It was a sweet moment for us. We received a huge amount of money, and as promised, they gave me their shares. I just thanked them and told them that we could start practicing again next week.

 

When I checked my phone, I saw my mom's texts to me.

 

Mom: Vic, good luck. :)

Mom: Vic, where did you put my medicine?

Mom: Victoria please answer me when you can.

 

I even received a lot of missed calls from mom. My heart started beating so fast, so I ran towards the bus stop and went home immediately. I knew I should've taken a cab, but this is the only money I have, for now.

 

I opened the door, "Mom!" I yelled. I checked the kitchen, and when I saw her body lying on the floor, with her hand in her chest, I immediately went to her side and slapped her face. "Mom wake up!"

 

She was still alive, so I carried her on my back and grabbed my bag. I hailed for a cab, and told him to drive to the nearest hospital. When we got there, the doctors quickly took my mom and laid her on a hospital bed.

 

I waited outside of the emergency room. And I decided to give this man a call. I don't even know why, but I felt like my mom needed to at least see him so she could be at peace. A stern voice answered the phone.

 

"Who is this?"

 

I sighed. "This is Victoria. I know that you probably don't care about my mom anymore, but please..." I paused and cried. "Please at least show yourself so my mom would be at peace."

 

"Just tell me how much you need. If you called for hospitalization, I can give you enough money."

 

I gasped in disbelief. "If I called for my mom's hospitalization, I'd tell you straight away! I can't ing believe I even called you so I could make my mom happy!" I yelled, not caring if the nurses are staring at me. " you and your money! I hope you have a happy family, because my mom suffered because you made her your mistress, you son of a !" I quickly hang up and threw the phone on the floor.

 

I cried, and I kept crying. Because I think this is the only thing I could do now. Why does it have to be my mom? Did our family do anything to make my mom suffer like this? If only dad stayed faithful, then we wouldn't have problems like this!

 

 

The doctor went out of the emergency room, looking like his patient just died. I went closer, and the doctor just looked at me with pity. "I'm sorry."

 

I laughed, even though my tears were falling. What does this mean? That my mom is dead? But... Why now? Now when I wanted her to be proud of me? I just nodded and went inside the emergency room. She did not make it. I don't know what contributed to her heart disease. She had a healthy lifestyle. She exercised, she became a vegetarian.

 

Was it because of the man he loved? Is it his fault? Did she become depressed because she found out he's married? Or is it my fault? Because I chose to dance? Which was one thing she didn't want me to do?

 

I am so confused. I feel like . I just cried in front of her, and gave her a kiss. Mom, I'm sorry. If you're disappointed because of me, I'll stop dancing from now on. I promise I won't dance in front of a crowd, ever again. I'm sorry, mom. I'm sorry.

 

*

 

She felt her tear fell on her cheek. And she quickly wiped it away. It was hard for her because she couldn't do what she wanted to do. She just decided to look for another job online. Some are interesting jobs like teaching online. But she still didn't want it.

 

She felt her phone vibrate, and when she saw who the caller was, it was her boyfriend... Edison. She groaned and picked up the phone.

 

"Yes?" She sounded so bored.

"Bored?" He asked.

"I wasn't accepted." She said and yelled in frustration. "Why am I not accepted!?"

"Loosen up, babe." Edison said and laughed. "Let's go on a date."

"Okay." Victoria said and hang up.

 

She doesn't want to use Edison as a rebound, but their dates are good diversions for her. And besides, Edison asked her to be her rebound, and she's doing him a favor.

 

But no matter how much she tries to think that way, she knows, sooner or later, Edison will realize how unfair it is for him. So as soon as she's over Kris, she'll ask him for a time out, and then love him right. Because if she won't, then they'll both feel insecure about each other.