Victoria: 18

The Chase (Book 1)

What I said was half meant. Because I haven't asked him yet. But, in my defense, I was planning to ask Edison to accompany me to the mall. He said he'll pick me up after his class. I'm still at home, so I guess I'll just eat so we could leave immediately.

 

 

I listed all the "work clothes" I needed. When Edison got here, I told him to sit first because I'll get ready. When I went down, I saw him staring blankly at the flowers. He looked at me blankly and walked to me.

 

 

I gave him a kiss on his cheeks and he looked at the flowers again. I didn't want him to know who gave it to me. I smiled at him sweetly and pinched his cheeks. He's jealous, and he should be, but I would never tell him that. I don't want us to fight.

 

 

"I bought it for my mom." I said and smiled at him.

"Red roses for your mom?" He asked sarcastically.

"My mom loves red roses." I went to where I put the flowers and took it. "I was supposed to visit her grave today, but I suddenly had an appointment." I sighed. I even went to the kitchen and put it in a vase.

"Really?" He followed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I told him and took his hand. "Let's go?"

 

 

I told Edison about my boss. He laughed at how stupid his demands are, but it could also be dangerous. I might turn into a slave. I just laughed at him and told him about my Mr. Dong Young-bae's office. He parked near a white BMW. I went outside first and he followed.

 

 

When we got inside, I bumped into one of my students before. I would never forget her. She's the only student who was working double shifts in my class. We were catching up with each other, but what she said made me kind of scared.

 

 

"I'll just go... I think I disturbed your..." She looked at us intently. "date." She smiled before walking away.

 

 

I scowled at Edison. He just laughed at me and pinched my nose. I rolled my eyes and went inside a boutique. I picked a lot of pink stuff. People who could see me right now would think I'm addicted to pink. I'm not. But I felt a little relieved seeing someone else pick up a lot of pink stuff.

 

 

I was surprised to see her walk towards Edison. They were talking. Edison scowled at her, but she just kept on talking like the person in front of her isn't mad at her at all. I want to know who she is so I went closer to them.

 

 

"Babe..." I called. They both looked at me. She looked surprised. I went Edison's side and made him choose which one should I choose.

"Try the pastel pink, babe." He said and I nodded. He still didn't introduce the girl to me.

 

 

When I got inside the dressing room, I tried the pastel pink blazer that he chose. I know they're talking because I could hear them even though they both spoke softly. Who is she, really?

 

 

"You still love me." She confidently said.

"I don't."

"You do... Look at her! She obviously loves pink!"

"She doesn't. And even if she did, what's it to you?"

"It's unfair, Edison. Don't make her your rebound." She said and silence ate them up before Edison spoke again.

"She's not a rebound. Don't be too full of yourself, Tiffany. Did you really think I love her because she reminds me of you?" Another silence. "She's nothing like you."

 

 

I quickly went outside to check on Edison, and I saw the girl crying. I was so surprised to see her cry in front of him, and him doing nothing. I went to her and tried to make her stand up.

 

 

"What's wrong?" I asked. Even though I know what happened.

"Nothing..." She wiped her tears away and stood up. She looked at me and held my hand. "Congratulations. I hope you won't hurt Ed." After saying that, she left.

 

 

 

I looked at him questioningly. He just looked away. Is she his ex? I just shrugged, and I went to the counter and paid for everything. I saw him pull out his card and gave it to the cashier instead. I can't argue with him now. Not when he's in a bad mood.

 

 

I told him I wanted to drink coffee. He just nodded and took my shopping bags. I'm worried for him. He's in a really bad mood, but it can't be because he's still in love with her, right? I trust that he won't do that to me. But who am I kidding?

 

 

I am being really selfish. He allowed me to use him as my rebound. So why should I be any different? I smiled bitterly. Now that I'm sure of what I feel for him, this happened. Maybe... we both need a time off.

 

 

We both ordered cold coffee, and he bought us blueberry muffins. I smiled at him and thanked him. He ate the blueberry muffin and drank his coffee. He's uneasy, I know. I could feel it. What she said, is it still bothering him?

 

 

"Ed..." I called. He looked at me. "What she said-"

"No, you're not a rebound." He said, gazing at me. "I swear you're not a rebound. It's just... I can't even bear seeing her face."

"Why?" I am just curious, nothing more.

"She, uh..." He chuckled. "She was the reason why I went to clubs every night, why I am what I am now."

"But you changed, maybe not that much, but you're not there every night."

"And I thank you for that." He said sincerely. I felt like crying, but I held it in.

"What happened?" I can't just pretend I'm not curious.

 

 

 

"I..." He sighed and smiled at me. "I can only tell you this because I love you..." He held my hand and spoke. "I was a freshmen, and she was a senior in the last university I attended. She told me she fell in love with me at first sight. I mean, I was naive back then. I was this ugly, unpopular guy who was a fresh meat. I thought she really liked me, but after three years of being together, she just broke off things like we were nothing. I asked her why... At first she wouldn't tell me. But after bugging her for a month, she finally told me the truth. They had a bet with her friend. That... Taeyeon, and Kris' sister, Seohyun. She won the bet. She stayed with me for that long, and hurt me so bad."

 

 

 

I couldn't imagine seeing a very devastated Edison. I tried to think of it, but whenever I would try, it would hurt me, too. I caressed his cheek and smiled at him. He held my hand and closed his eyes. I could feel his warm breath on my skin. It sent shivers down my spine.

 

 

"I'm sorry..." I told him and smiled at him.

"It's okay. You're here, now." He said and kissed my hand.

"Actually..." I trailed off. I looked at him, and he looks nervous. "I want for us to cool down for a while."