Victoria: 10 (5/20/15)

The Chase (Book 1)

At lunch time, they both ate at the restaurant. They both ordered the same food. They coincidentally like beef. And when their food arrived, they both ate to their heart's content.

 

They also decided to drink beer at night, near a bonfire. Just to relax. They also brought jackets, blankets and pillows just in case they'll need it.

 

 

"So..." Edison started to break the silence while watching the fire getting bigger. "What made you decide to end it?"

"End what?" Victoria knew what he was talking about. She's just trying to confirm it.

"Your relationship with Kris." He faced her, trying to get answers.

"You are very straightforward." He looked apologetic, but Victoria continued. "But it's okay. I'm just not used to it." When she saw that Edison was still looking at her intently, she proceeded. "I am her teacher. He's my student. And his mother is one of the directors of your school. Wouldn't it be right if I broke up with him?"

"Did Madame Li ask you to do so?"

"No. And I don't want her to. I'll be insulted." She said and smiled bitterly. "But Kris will be happier with someone else."

"Why do you think so?" He asked and drank his beer.

She also drank hers. "Well, doesn't he deserve someone better? Someone who is not too old for him, someone who's the same status as him? Someone whom he could freely date, someone who could take care of him? Because believe me, I'm not those things."

"You're not, but he chose to love you." He said sternly.

"But I chose to break his heart. I never deserved him in the first place, but I don't think I deserve him now more than ever."

 

 

Edison shrugged and continued on his seventh bottle, Victoria on her fifth. They were quiet for a moment, until Edison's phone rang. He excused himself and answered the call. Leaving Victoria all alone.

 

 

She drank and drank, and when she was on her thirteenth bottle, she suddenly remembered how Kris would scold her if she exceeded more than fifteen bottles of beer. They had a mature relationship. Something she wanted. But now, it's all gone, and it's all her fault.

 

 

Edison returned, seeing a tearful Victoria, he quickly ran towards her and wiped her tears away. He didn't know what to do, but he just continued wiping. When Victoria saw him, she cried even more and hugged him.

 

 

"I shouldn't have let him go... right?" She asked. She's not even sure if she's talking to Edison or to herself.

"You did what you though was right." He patted her back. "If it was me, I'd be mad, too. But if he knew why you did what you had to do, I'm sure he'd understand. He's the most mature guy I know." He assured her.

"But he got hurt because of me..." She was still sobbing. "I... caused his accident... I-"

"Shh." He was caressing her hair. "It's not your fault. It was mine." He said and felt guilty. "I provoked him..."

 

 

Victoria looked up, not believing what she just heard. He blamed himself? But it was clearly her fault. Why would he blame himself for what she did? He felt her stare at him. He could help himself but kiss her luscious lips.

 

Surprisingly, she wasn't struggling. He opened his eyes and saw her close her eyes, trying to feel that kiss. His kiss went deeper, and before he even knew it, she was already kissing him back, exchanging passionate kisses, as well.

 

 

'But this isn't right' he though. She's his friend's ex. Why would he do this? But she's too tempting. Too hot. And he's moving too fast. He stopped kissing him, and when he did, he saw her close her eyes and smile.

 

"You're probably disgusted. I'm a ." She said under her breath.

 

She quickly stood up and left. Before he could even react,she was already far away from him. He tried to stand up, but he was too dumbfounded by what happened, that the strength from his legs left him. It was unusual. Normally, when he kisses a girl, he'd be the one to walk away.

 

 

He sent her a text.

 

Edison: It was my fault. I'm sorry for what I did. Still hope we can have breakfast tomorrow.

 

 

Not that he's actually hoping for it to happen. But he still wants to keep it casual between her and him. After all, she used to teach him. And he felt like they did become friends after all that has happened to her- and him as well.

 

 

But that's probably impossible now because of his stupid, impulsive head. Now she's probably mad at him, or she'll probably avoid him. He heard his phone beep, and saw a bunch of messages from people he knew.

 

 

Jessica: Take your meds, Edison. And I hope you're on vacation while I'm gone. I'm already in NYC. Take care of yourself, okay?

 

Sehun: Where in the world are you, er? Getting some ? I'm alone, and I have no one to share this whisky. Get well soon so you can drink again, motherer.

 

Alice: Your dad and I are staying at Maldives for a while. He just asked me to tell you that.

 

 

He was slightly disappointed. No text from her. But what does he expect? When he about to put his phone down, he received another message. It was from the person he was waiting to reply.

 

 

Victoria: I'm sorry, too. Goodnight.