Victoria: 31

The Chase (Book 1)

I looked at the building in front of me. Really? Here? I don't know why he's brought me here, but I know for myself that I am not pregnant. I mean, why would I be? I just let him lead me inside and we went to the reception. We asked for the OB-Gyn, and the lady pointed the second door to the right. I saw Edison nod, and the girl smiled at him, trying to look cute. Tss. .I just rolled my eyes and walked towards the door she pointed. 

 

Now I'm starting to doubt myself. Am I really pregnant? I can't be, right? I mean, sure, I did vomit this morning, and my period is late, and I did gain weight. But that can't be an assurance that I'm pregnant, right?We greeted the doctor and we went directly to the point. 

 

Edison told the doctor about my behavior. I didn't know he's been thinkiing like that for a few weeks now. I didn't even notice it myself. But now that we've been talking about it, I told the doctor I feel really sleepy, or I get easily bored. And that I crave for sweets. But don't people normally crave for sweets? 

 

"Well, from what I have been hearing from the both of you, I think these are hormonal changes. But we'll take urine test just to be sure." The doctor instructed me to pee in this cup and give it to the person in charge of the test so we could confirm if I'm really pregnant or not. When I gave the sample, they told us that the result will be ready in an hour or more. 

 

We still had time, so Edison took me out for a drive. Now that I am not blindfolded, I can see how beautiful this area is. This isn't too far from the city, but it feels like we're in a very secluded area. 

"So you really think I'm pregnant?" I asked out of the blue. 

"Well, you tend to sleep a lot, eat a lot, then you have excessive mood swings. I think you are." He said and laughed. 

"Let's bet on it?" I said, then I saw him frown. 

"Let's not bet on our baby." He said and I just smiled. 

 

*

 

We did everything in one hour, like go sight-seeing, ate lunch and we even shopped for gifts. I just learned from Edison that this place is his mother's hometown. She bought that house so that Edison would always remember to respect his future wife, and love his family. Because that was his promise to her when he was young.We got back, and the results were still not ready. So we waited. 

 

We looked at the young girl who looked sad while holding her stomach. Where is her husband, anyway? After a few minutes, the girl looked shocked and scared. I turned to see where she was looking, and I saw a guy who was panting. He walked straight towards the girl and sat beside her. My focus was cut off when the nurse called for us, that the results were ready. 

 

"So, both of you, I think you know the results, right?" The doctor said that with a smile. Then I felt Edison's arm around my waist. "So far, your condition is good. "She's seven weeks pregnant! But come back here after 2 weeks so we could check your baby's condition." 

"So is the baby a girl or a boy?" I looked at Edison with shock. How can he ask the doctor that? It's too early! 

"Well, let's wait for- let's say, three-four months?" The doctor held her laughter in. "For now, let's just go over the food you're allowed and not allowed to eat, the dos and don'ts when you're pregnant. And please, no arguing. If possible, Mr. Huang, be extremely patient when she's having a mood swing."We thanked the doctor and left. 

 

We went back to the house we were staying at, and Edison excused himself, that he'll just go shower. We'll go back tomorrow, so we decided to just call the caretaker later. I heard his phone ring, and I called him, but I guess he couldn't hear me. I looked at the caller. It's her, alright. What does she want now? 

"What do you want from Edison?" I directly told her. 

"Why are you answering his phone?" I don't like the tone of her voice. "Aren't you invading his privacy?" 

"That's none of your business, Tiffany. What do you want?" 

"You know what, let's skip Edison. I wanna talk to you personally." She said that and I could feel the bitterness in her voice. "Meet me tomorrow. 7 pm, the same Japanese restaurant where we first saw each other." 

"Alright." I said and ended the call. I'm gonna finish whatever they had before. It's about time she's moved on! 

 

*

 

I wore a plain black shirt and a pleated skirt. I also wore black sneakers and I just let my hair loose. I didn't bring much with me. Just my wallet, keys and cellphone. I sat in front of Tiffany who is eating sushi right now. Out of all the places we could meet, she actually chose this. Now, I feel really sick. 

 

"Let's cut the chase. Stop bugging Edison." I said that, but she continued eating.She then put down her chopsticks. 

"Isn't it odd?" She softly spoke. "That Edison started chasing after you when he saw me for the first time in three years?" She said and smiled. Makes me wanna tear that smile off her pretty face. "Aren't you bothered?" 

"Why should I?" I asked her frankly. 

"Well, I'm not saying he is, but..." She trailed off, then stared at me. "He might be using you as a rebound."I smiled at her, but I am not amused. 

"Oh please. Don't be too full of yourself." 

"I'm not. I mean, you're not half as good as me, and frankly speaking, you're too plain." She said that with the friendliest tone I've ever heard my entire life. 

"Does that even matter? I love Edison, and he loves me. That's what matters." I clenched my fist in anger.

"Do you really?" She tilted her head questioningly. "If I remember correctly, Aren't you Kris' ex?" I was surprised by what she said, and I think she read my mind. I saw her smile. "I knew it." 

"How did you know?" I had to ask her. 

"Well, you did cause Kris' accident a while back. Aren't you his teacher?" She looked at me with disgust. "Aren't you ashamed? You're dating Kris' friend for the sake of... what? Forgetting him?" She scoffed. "I doubt you really loved Edison!" 

"I love him. And it's time for you to accept reality. He's in love with me, and I am in love with him." I told her that, but she didn't buy it. 

"Love? Look at you! And look at him! You are two different worlds separated by social status!" She gave me a daring look. 

"Our relationship has nothing to do with you, Tiffany." I stood up and left her. I am so done with this conversation! 

 

I walked towards the side walk and hailed a cab. Baby, I'm sorry. Your mother had ugly thoughts today. I fought for your father, but don't take that attitude, okay? Take my patience, instead. Or my lips. You can take your dad's eyes. You'd look good with your dad's eyes.I thought about what I talked about with Tiffany. I can't be his rebound, right? But... it's also possible. Because why would he ask me to use him if he never had the intention to do the same, right? I am so confused, but I'm not gonna take it out on him. I trust Edison. I trust him completely.