Opposites

Polar.

           The classroom door slamming shut resounded in the room that was filled with a tense silence. Wonwoo stared at Jun, who was recovering from a harsh punch from Mingyu. Junhui wiped the corner of his mouth that had started bleeding. Shortly after the door slammed, another sound filled the classroom. This time, it was a chair screeching against the tile floor. The sound came from the far left corner; Minghao's seat. Minghao got up from his desk, and quickly followed in pursuit of his friend that had just gotten suspended. Their math teacher called after the bubblegum haired boy, but was ignored as the new senior sprinted his way out the door, and down the hall. Then, the teacher left the classroom to go down to the Principal's Office to inform of the 2 students that had left his class. By impulse, Wonwoo was about to run after Mingyu too, but was stopped by Jun who stepped infront of him. The Class President's bruised face was soon in Jun's hands. Jun was holding his face firmly, yet gentle enough, sure not to hurt him. He was inspecting, just like Mingyu was doing the night before. Remembering the incident yesterday, Wonwoo quickly escaped his friend's hands, his face becoming warm with embarrassment, but then was overtaken by anger.

"Yah. Why are you being like this?", Jun said, fully aware of the reason, but tried to brush it off as nothing. Wonwoo stared at the person infront of him in the eye. 

"Why are you being like this?" Wonwoo answered with a question, in a serious tone.

Jun scoffed to the side, and tried to lighten the mood with his nonserious tone,

"Like what? Is this about yesterday? Wonwoo-ah, that kiss had no feelings behind it, I was just curious-" Jun tried to lie about the situation last night. Ofcourse, Junhui actually felt feelings for his bestfriend, but there was no way he was going to straight up say it. He still wanted to keep some pride after being rejected.

"It's not that." Wonwoo interrupted him.

"Then, what do you mean?" he asked.

Wonwoo stepped closer to Jun, and brought his face closer to his. He then pointed at the door that Mingyu had just ran out of, and in a low angry voice said,

"Who the  do you think you are accusing Mingyu of doing this to me?"

Jun looked at his friend, surprised. In all their 3 years of friendship, Wonwoo and Jun had never had a serious fight. Their personalities matched so well that there were hardly any disagreements or disputes. But, there's a first for everything. 

"Wonwoo, calm down... I was just worried-"

Now, Wonwoo was the one who was interrupting. He needed to get his point across, he didn't care if he had to get angry at his bestfriend. 

"Calm down?", Wonwoo suddenly grabbed Jun by the collar, the same as he did to Mingyu.

"What about you, huh? Accusing Mingyu of something he didn't even do. Grabbing him like this, even though he didn't do anything but help me, when you couldn't be there."

Wonwoo said, gritting his teeth with anger. He was starting to get worked up again, and his eyes glistened with tears. Jun didn't know what to say, as he had never seen Wonwoo like this. His "bestfriend" was always calm, and collected, and sure he was emotional, but Jun had never seen Wonwoo this angry. The Class Pres. still had his grip on Jun's shirt, and continued to stare him in eye, impatiently waiting for a reply.

"I-I'm sorry... I didn't know I upset you that much." Jun said quietly, and sincerely. Wonwoo disregarded the guilt in his voice, and remained angry,

"It's not me you should apologize to..." he said, and finally let go of Jun. 

Not a word was exchanged between the infamous duo throughout the first half of the day. When Lunch came, before Jun could make his way to Wonwoo's desk to clear up any remaining misunderstandings, Wonwoo gathered his things and walked out the door. Jun watched as his "bestfriend" walked out the classroom door, and never came back for the rest of the period. When 4th period began, Jun asked the teacher where Wonwoo had gone, and was informed that he signed out for the day, and wouldn't be returning as he "wasn't feeling well". 

Meanwhile, when Wonwoo left the school, he had a goal to bring Mingyu back to the school to clarify the situation, to disband his suspension. The thing was, Wonwoo had no clue where Mingyu would be during this time of day, and he didn't have any connections to anyone that would know. Minghao even left to follow Mingyu, and the new student was Wonwoo's only hope... Or so he thought. After wandering around the town a bit, Wonwoo thought and realized that he knew of someone that might know Mingyu's whereabouts. There was a risk, and there was obviously the chance of that person not being there, or not knowing where Mingyu was, but Wonwooo took the chance, and started walking anyway. The awkwardly and quirky Class Pres. started walking towards the place where he was beaten yesterday. He hesitated quite a lot along the way, and had actually comtemplated turning around. But, when he got near the alley, he pressed up against the wall, like a lame spy, which ended up receiving odd stares from people walking by. Wonwoo peeked into the alley, trying not to be seen. The alley looked completely different in the sunlight, and didn't look as terrifying as last night. But, sure enough when Wonwoo cautiously looked, he spotted a gang that was hanging around, sitting on empty cartons, and recognized the leader that was sitting in the middle. To each side of him was 2 or 3 teenagers who's simple facial expressions were cold, and terrified Wonwoo. He was going to walk away, convincing himself that he could people find Mingyu another way, when suddenly,

"YAH!", a voice from the alley yelled, which made Wonwoo jump a bit, and freeze.

"Fu~~ck." 

Wonwoo whispered to himself. He then heard footsteps growing louder as they approached him. He was roughly grabbed by a man, who turned him around and lead him to the gathered delinquents. Wonwoo squirmed a bit at first, then realized it was futile and just followed as he was brought closer to the man who beat him up yesterday. Wonwoo stood infront of the gang, all tense, and he felt his palms become sweaty. Immediately, he was surrounded by 4 people, but they were dismissed by the leader, when he said,

"Yah, kids, don't touch him.", he looked Wonwoo in the eyes, and raised an eyebrow in interest, "That's Mingyu's."

At the mention of that name, the 4 boys instantly backed down, and took their previous seats around their leader. Wonwoo wanted to speak up, because he didn't like the way he sounded like he was owned by Mingyu. 

"I'm not his... although, I wouldn't mind-" Wonwoo shook his head, and blinked away the thought.

"So. What brings you here?" the leader questioned

"U-Uhm. I was wondering if you knew where Mingyu hung out during this time of day?", Wonwoo spoke politely, and formally, which made the man infront of him laugh. He sat forward, leaning his elbows on his knees and asked,

"And what would a loser like you, have anything to do with one of the toughest guys in our neighbourhood. Hm?", he said.

Wonwoo was going to defend himself, but it didn't help that since he was punched in the face multiple times yesterday, his eyesight wasn't the best, so he had to wear his glasses today. He awkwardly cleared his throat, and pushed his glasses up, helping the leader's case.

"I-I have something to give to him from school.", Wonwoo slightly twisted the truth. Technically, he did have to see him because of school. 

"So, you're not his friend?", the leader questioned. Wonwoo wasn't sure how to answer,

"Well, uhm. I guess... he's just an acquaintance.", the Class Pres. said.

"That's right! There's no way that Mingyu would ever be friends with someone as weak and nerdy as him," as voice sitting in the back said. 

"Yeah! Mingyu-ssi would never, when all of his friends are like him.. powerful, and deadly." another voice added.

"Shut up, boys." the leader said, hushing his pack's laughter. He looked at Wonwoo from head to toe, who was just awkwardly standing there waiting for an answer. 

"Because Mingyu, himself picked this one up last night." he said with a smirk.

"Wait, seriously?" a teenager to Wonwoo's left asked, surprised

The leader just nodded in amusement.

"Wait, but... Mingyu's never shown himself around here since what happened to Seok-" a voice started, but was interrupted when the leader grabbed the bag of a teenager to his right, and hauled it at the boy who was talking. 

"You know you should never mention that name." the leader said in a serious tone, and looked the scared boy dead in the eye. 

Wonwoo still remained standing in the midst of it all, awkwardly. The leader, after whipping a bag at one of s, turned to Wonwoo again. 

"I don't know if he's there for sure, but he's normally at his own base. Which is in the abandoned building on the corner of Maporo and Daebangro." Wonwoo nodded at the location, and bowed and said his thanks. As he made his way out the alley, this time being able to walk, the leader yelled at him,

"Aye Kid!" Wonwoo turned around,

"You shouldn't come back here by yourself... It's not safe for people like you. In these streets, only people like your Mingyu survive."

Wonwoo looked at the ground, and thought about what he was just told. He then tilted his head in confusion and muttered to himself as he walked away,

"Your Mingyu? Mingyu isn't mine, though..."

The Class President made his way down to the location. Since the walk was pretty lengthy, he had alot of time to think to himself. The main thing on his mind was what he was going to say to Mingyu to convince him to come back. But, another thought that crossed his mind was the name that was treated as a "taboo". He only got the first part, considering the rest wasn't able to be heard. Seok? Wonwoo thought for a bit, and wondered if that was Mingyu's bestfriend. His unorganized thoughts were coming to a conclusion when he noticed that he could see the building ahead. He continued walking, and was now standing infront of the abandoned building. He was going to knock, when he noticed the door was slightly opened. Being the curious guy he is, Wonwoo decided to put his ear to the door. He heard 2 familiar voices conversing. After confirming someone was actually in there, Wonwoo leaned in and peeked through the crack in the door. He recognized Mingyu who was laying on the couch, and he was talking to someone. Adjusting his line of sight a bit, Wonwoo realized that that someone was Minghao. Honestly, Wonwoo felt a little jealous that Minghao was with him, and they probably have been here since they left school. Since he already knew who was in there, he decided to eavesdrop into their conversation after hearing his name.

"What about Wonwoo?", Minghao asked

"What about him?" Mingyu asked for clarification.

"Doesn't he remind you of.... you know... Seokmin?"

There was a long silence, and after about 2 minutes Wonwoo heard Minghao's voice tinted with guilt,

"Sorry..."

Mingyu cleared his voice and replied,

"It's alright."

"But, honestly though. How did someone like Wonwoo get your attention?" Minghao asked, and once again Mingyu stayed silent.

Wonwoo listened closely for Mingyu's reply, because honestly he was curious himself. But, it's not like Wonwoo thought Mingyu gave him extra attention, it's just he was curious as to why after 3 years of being in the same school, this mysterious boy suddenly started talking to him. Honestly though, he was a little annoyed by the way he was kind of labled. What did people mean when they said "someone like" him? 

"C'mon, bro. He's nothing like you.. In fact, he's like the polar opposite of you!", and the Class Pres. heard the latter laugh in reply.

"Okay, listen. To put things in comparison. If Wonwoo was Winter, you're like Summer... actually, switch that around since Wonwoo is kind of hot, and you're cold as ." Minghao said, making Wonwoo laugh a bit. Wonwoo heard Minghao say a small "ow" and assumed Mingyu had hit his friend in response to his joke. After standing there for a good 3 minutes, Class Pres. decided to formally knock on the door. Wonwoo inhaled, and ended up holding his breath as he knocked 3 times, and was greeted by Minghao. 

By habit, Wonwoo bowed and said hello, making Minghao laugh insanely hard. 

"Who's there?" Mingyu asked, directed to Minghao, but he didn't get up from the couch.

"Your new boyfriend~" Minghao teased, and Mingyu whipped a pillow at his face.

Wonwoo walked in, almost waddled due to how awkward and uncomfortable he felt to be there. Mingyu saw the shorter, and straightened up from his laying position. 

"What're you doing here?" Mingyu said to Wonwoo, in a kind of annoyed tone.

"I'm here to bring you back, to explain to the Principal what happened. I honestly don't think you should've been suspended when Jun swung first." he explained.

"How did you get here? How did you even know where this place was?", the latter continued to interrogate.

Meanwhile, Minghao slipped out their base and started snickering as he got away. 

The couple left inside looked at the door simultaneously, and then back at eachother. The latter raised his eyebrows, prompting Wonwoo's response,

"Oh, uh. I went back to those people from yesterday, you know, in the alley way, and they told-", Mingyu's eyes widened. He suddenly grabbed Wonwoo's shoulders,

"You went back?", Mingyu asked, genuine concern in his voice. Before Wonwoo could actually answer, he was being inspected again. Mingyu was quickly looking at the shorter, head to toe, and just like the night before, he took his face in his hands, and moved it around looking for any bruises or cuts. The way Mingyu held and touched Wonwoo's face, and the way Jun did the same, felt totally different. Jun's hands were affirmitive, and grasped Wonwoo's face with certainty. However, Mingyu held his face as if he were made of glass, and if he grasped too hard, he would fall apart. It was like he was protecting something from crumbling.

"They didn't hurt me," Wonwoo assured Mingyu with an awkward laugh. Mingyu took him by the shoulders again, and looked him straight in the eye,

"You listen to me. You should never go back there, okay? It's not for people like you... You could seriously get hurt." 

Wonwoo heard it again, "people like him.", but he felt the genuine concern in the Mingyu's voice, and saw the slight fear in his eyes. Mingyu let go of Wonwoo, and returned to his relaxed laying position on the couch. Wonwoo stayed standing, and awkwardly said,

"So... are you going to come back?"

Mingyu looked up from the manga he was reading,

"Don't take offense to this, but... Why do you care?"

"That's what I want to know, myself." Wonwoo thought to himself.

"Uh, well... you're my classmate, and-"

"Cut the sappy bull."

Wonwoo looked kind of surprised, and then continued,

"Okay, honestly. I just don't think you should be suspended when Jun swung first."

Mingyu laughed, and Wonwoo added,

"Oh and. I kind of got mad at Jun for accusing you for doing this to me. And, I told him it wasn't you, so..." his deep voice trailed off.

Mingyu once again looked up from his book. He looked at the Class Pres. who was still standing, with curious eyes. 

"Wow, I would have never thought that you could get mad at him. I mean, he's like your freakin' boyfriend or something." Mingyu said

"He's not my boyfriend, he was just my bestfriend" Wonwoo said defensively.

"Was?" the latter questioned.

Wonwoo thought if he should tell Mingyu the truth, and he concluded that he could, I mean, who could he tell anyway?

"Well, something happened between us and things have just been really awkward and tense."

Mingyu stared at Wonwoo for a bit. Suddenly, the latter snapped his fingers, and pointed to Wonwoo as he said 

"Ah.", an evil smile crept on his face, "He kissed you, didn't he?"

Wonwoo's eyes widened, and his cheeks flushed with red. Mingyu started laughing on the couch at the reaction of the embarrassed Class Pres. 

"H-how'd you know?" Wonwoo stuttered.

"You guys were practically dating. Anyone could tell but you two, that you had feelings for each other."

"That's not true." Wonwoo argued.

Mingyu got up from the couch and started walking to Wonwoo with a tilted head,

"Please, explain."

Wonwoo found himself backing up little by little as the taller crept in closer. They ended up backing so far up that now Wonwoo's back was against a wall, and he had very little wiggle room, as Mingyu was practically a breath away 

"Well, uh. I didn't have those kind of feelings for him, but he made it quite clear what his feelings were." he stated, simply.

"Ah... so, you rejected him." Mingyu concluded.

"Wait-so then. Why were you wearing his clothes yesterday?" Then Mingyu's eyes widened at the Class Pres. Wonwoo tilted his head slightly, then realized what Mingyu was thinking

"Oh God, no! We didn't- Jesus, no. I was just over at his house, watching things- well, anime to be specific and then he kissed me." Wonwoo explained. Mingyu nodded, but didn't quite think that was the whole truth.

"So, that's where you came from yesterday." Mingyu added.

"Yeah," Wonwoo confirmed.

"But, why did you run away?" the taller asked.

"I just felt.. betrayed, in some way. I also felt really bad for being oblivious and not noticing his feelings. But, I think most of all, I felt really uncomfortable kissing someone I have no feelings for, when I think I'm starting to develop feelings for someone else." the shorter said, unsure himself.

The latter who was inches away from Wonwoo, looked Wonwoo in the eyes and smirked,

"Me."

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

holy crap guys, I've updated 3 days in a row. Starting from now on, I don't think I can update as frequently because now is the time school starts to take over. SO! I hoped you guys enjoyed this chapter, and I'm updating today for my friend Jeonghangel who suffered a kick... LOL, you're reading this right? LOVE YOU <3 This chapter was a little short, so I'll make it up to you guys on Friday! Go check out my other stories, comment, upvote & whatever.. xD okay anyway- please subscribe to keep updated and until the next chapter. PEACE! -Zen.