Changes

Polar.

"Mingyu-ssi,"

Mingyu looked up from his textbooks to see his professor,

"Do you mind staying after the lecture to help some first-years?" 

The young man smiled and happily said,

"Sure!"

The professor gave him a thankful smile, and then went back to his office. 

Currently, Mingyu was in his final year of University, while doing Teachers College courses after his classes or during weekends. He didn't mind teaching and tutoring, as it gave him experience in something he wants to do in the future. He was only 23, and the past 4 years have gone by smoothly, all though ofcourse things happen.

Things change.

Mingyu was in the library, on his laptop doing some online courses for Teachers college. He looked at the bottom right corner of the screen, and saw that it was 4PM. He groaned as he rubbed his face, tiredly. He hadn't slept for over 24 hours, as he had been finishing assignments, making sure to keep on top of both of the schools he's part of. Mingyu leaned back in his chair, and decided to close his eyes for a few moments, so he wasn't so lifeless when he tutored the first years. 

He closed his eyes, but before he could fall into a light sleep, he felt 2 arms wrap around his neck from behind him and a pair of familiar lips plant a sweet kiss on his cheek.

"Hi, babe." the deep voice of his boyfriend said. 

Mingyu smiled and opened his eyes, as he turned to kiss his boyfriend, this time on the lips. 

"Hi," he said after they unlocked lips, and he stared into his eyes.

"You tired?" Wonwoo asked, concerned when he noticed the dark circles underneath Mingyu's eyes.

"No, not at all! I'm even more awake, now that you're with me." Mingyu replied, as he smiled.

Wonwoo chuckled as he took a seat in front of Mingyu, supporting his chin with the palm of his hand as he looked at Mingyu who returned his focus to the screen. 

"You have an assignment due?" he asked.

"Uh, no. Not an assignment- well, yes, I guess. I'm just quickly typing something up for Teaching, it's like a weird "reflection" question asking how I would handle uncommon questions asked by potential students" Mingyu answered, not looking up from the screen, as he quickly typed. 

"Don't overwork yourself, okay?" Wonwoo said, genuinely concerned. 

Mingyu looked up this time, and smiled at his boyfriend,

"I won't." he leaned over a placed a sweet kiss on his forehead,

And then the 2 settled into comfortable silence, as Wonwoo admired his boyfriend

A lot has changed within 4 years. Mingyu's jawline is a lot more defined, and Wonwoo swears he keeps getting taller. His muscular body still remains buff, but Wonwoo enjoys looking at his bruiseless face, and his knuckles that are no longer bleeding. He admires the eyes that used to stare people down, and make them cower in fear, and his nose which sneezed on him on Graduation Day.

That day felt so long ago. 

4 years ago. 1,460 days ago was the first major change in their lives.

And yet, 4 years later, today. The couple still gets nervous around each other, they even stutter sometimes when saying 'I love you.' The butterflies still occupy their stomach, and are reawakened with each intertwining of fingers, hug, kiss, with each breath that they shared. 

"Did you sleep last night?" Wonwoo asked,

Mingyu looked up from his laptop,

"Ofcourse," he lied.

Wonwoo eyed him suspiciously,

"I dreamed of you~" Mingyu said as he gave his cute eye smile making Wonwoo blush slightly.

"Lame," he said as he chuckled,

"Just rest properly, okay?" 

"I should be saying that to you!" Mingyu replied back, "How's your training going?" 

Wonwoo buried his face into his folded arms on the table,

"It ~" he whined.

Mingyu laughed at his boyfriend's cute response.

Wonwoo decide that he wanted to become a Detective. However, he wanted to pursue this profession in the Special Victims Unit, where they dealt with ual crimes and assault. Mingyu fully supported him, as he would with whatever Wonwoo would've chosen to pursue, but he can't help but feel like this spark of justice for these type of cases was caused by him. 

Wonwoo profusely denies it, but he knows that his boyfriend's past made him want to make sure that the same thing happened to no one else. He didn't want to see people suffer, see their moralities, trust, and faith be corrupted by someone utterly disgusting.

"I just want to be a detective, I hate doing training for going out on the field" he continued,

"You know. You're going to regret that one day, when you're running down an alley with bullets following behind you." Mingyu replied, laughing,

"So get into shape. You could use some muscles, babe," he continued.

"Are you saying that for my job, or for you?" Wonwoo said, playfully, and Mingyu just winked in reply.

"I have tutoring in an hour, wanna come with?" Mingyu asked with expecting eyes.

"Yeah, ofcourse. I think it'd be cute to see my boyfriend teach," Wonwoo replied with a smile.

 

The couple spent some time in the library, Mingyu completing the assignment and submitting it in time. Before going to meet with Mingyu's professor, they went out to get some coffee. Mingyu paid for 3 cups of coffee, being kind enough to buy on for his professor. The classic fight at the cash register which happens everytime they go out occured, the couple arguing about who would pay. 

When they got to the familiar lecture hall, Mingyu waited outside as he noticed that his professor was talking to someone. The man was about Wonwoo's height, and by the way Prof. Lee was speaking to him, he seemed new.

"Oh," Mingyu said open seeing the male, "A new student... I wonder if he's a freshman." he said.

Wonwoo stopped sipping his coffee, and Mingyu didn't see a wide grin spread across his face,

"Nope! He's our age!" Wonwoo said happily, catching his boyfriend's attention.

Mingyu looked, confused as Wonwoo stepped into the lecture hall,

"Kyungtae-ah!" he watched his boyfriend say happily. 

Who the Hell?

Mingyu watched as the boy turned around, and immediately smiled as he took Wonwoo into a big embrace. 

They may have been dating for 4 years, but Mingyu still cleared his throat awkwardly in jealousy. 

"Wonwoo-ah!" Kyungtae said, "Jesus, it's been so long! How are you?!" 

"I know - You just decided to go to America." Wonwoo said, shaking his head jokingly,

"I've been good, how are you?" 

"I'm okay~ I just got back yesterday, my parents wanted me to get my post-secondary education back home, so.." Kyungtae explained with a smile. 

Mingyu walked up, passing the coffee to his professor while smiling,

"Oh, thank you Mingyu-ah!" 

"No prob, sir." he replied. 

Mingyu was about to start talking to the professor, and ask about the first years, leaving Wonwoo to catch up with Kyungtae. But he suddenly felt an arm link around his,

"This is my boyfriend, Kim Mingyu!" Wonwoo introduced proudly. 

Mingyu smiled sweetly and bowed,

"Hello, I'm Wonwoo's boyfriend Kim Mingyu." 

Kyungtae stared at Mingyu, an unreadable expression on his face. Mingyu looked around the room awkwardly, before Kyungtae smiled and said,

"Hi, I'm Wonwoo's childhood friend, Lee Kyungtae."

Mingyu hesitantly shook his hand, as Kyungtae smiled. 

"Boyfriend, huh?" he said.

Mingyu nodded with a proud smile as he looked at Wonwoo,

"Since 4 years ago." 

Kyungtae's eyes widened slightly at the amount of time they had been together.

"Wonwoo," he chuckled, "What happened to you saying you didn't want to date? That people had, what did you call them again?" 

Wonwoo tried to stop his friend,

"Cooties~" he teased in a singing voice, as Wonwoo hit him in the arm.

"Whatever- it's not like you didn't say stupid things back then!" he retorted. 

As the 2 became involved with stories of past conversations from their childhood, Mingyu turned to his professor to discuss various subjects that might be brought up in questioning. His attention was brough back to Wonwoo when he noticed him and Kyungtae walking towards the door,

"Babe! I'm just going to go out for coffee with Kyungtae, I'll text you later, okay?" Wonwoo said,

"Okay, bye" Mingyu replied with a small wave and smile, 

"Love you!" Wonwoo said, earning the same words from the taller.

You just went out for coffee with me though, 

Mingyu mumbled to himself. Barely audible, but Prof. Lee heard and chuckled at his student's childish words.

Mingyu didn't fail to notice the look Kyungtae gave him as he walked out with his boyfriend. But, he trusted Wonwoo. Plus, they were just childhood friends anyway, right? Loyal, and going strong for 4 years, he truly believes that won't change.

Mingyu and Prof. Lee continued speaking, as more freshmen came in, hesitantly, still shy and to make things worse, a tall and intimidating graduating student was there. However, Mingyu gave them gentle smiles which helped them loosen up. As the hours passed, he found that students were finally openly asking him questions about what they're not so sure about, or need further elaboration. 

"So, you just need to do this, okay?" Mingyu asked as he looked at the younger student whose face expressed realization. 

"Ah~ I see.. Thank you, Mingyu-ssi!" Mingyu ruffled his hair,

"No problem. Don't be scared to ask next time okay? That's what we're here for." Mingyu assured, referring to Prof. Lee and himself.

The middle aged man was looking at Mingyu, and smiled proudly. 4 years ago when Mingyu first attended class, things were a mess. People were intimidated of him, as some new his title, and he still had the rude resting face. But his passion for science, and the way he likes to help people peaked the man's interest. As the years progressed, Mingyu started reaching out, asking if there are any ways he could experience teaching or tutoring. 

Mingyu was helping out another student when he heard Wonwoo's familiar laugh from outside the lecture hall,

"So, then yeah! That's how that relationship with that guy ended" Kyungtae said, seemingly concluding his story. 

Wonwoo's laugh calmed down but his smile remained on his face,

"Hi babe!" he said, waving to Mingyu. 

Mingyu looked up from the student's notebook and smiled, waving at his boyfriend,

"Just one sec, let me help her with this equation, then I'll walk you home"

"Alright, no need to rush though. I'll wait for you near the entrance, with Kyungtae" 

Mingyu hesitated for a second, but then eventually said,

"Okay." 

Kyungtae and Wonwoo walked out of the hall, and Mingyu watched their retreating backs. Mingyu thoroughly the process on how to solve the equation, receiving praise and thanks from the young girl. After that, he grabbed his coat and said bye to Mr. Lee, who thanked him in return. 

The tall man walked into the foyer of the University, and saw the familiar figure of his boyfriend. Standing next to him, was ofcourse, Kyungtae. Mingyu walked over and kissed Wonwoo on the cheek and said,

"Sorry for making you wait." 

"It's okay, I didn't long" Wonwoo said with a smile.

Both of them didn't notice the glare Kyungtae was currently giving them.

"I'll walk you home, okay?" Wonwoo just intertwined their fingers, and pulled Mingyu slightly as a reponse. In the sidewalk, Kyungtae managed to squeeze in so that it was all 3 of them, with Wonwoo in the middle. They just walked, and Mingyu felt slightly awkward. 

"Oh, Kyungtae-ah, where do you live now?" Wonwoo asked,

"You know the playground we used to play in?" Wonwoo gave a thoughtful look,

"The playground where you pushed me-"

"Off the swing!" Wonwoo laughed, finishing the other's sentence.

"Yeah, thanks for that." he said, his voice dripping sarcasm, he laughed, "I live nearby there."

Mingyu walked in silence, not really wanting to interrupt their conversation because, what would he say? He didn't know much about Wonwoo's childhood, and then here comes this person from America who seems to remember ever little detail about their shared moments as kids. But Wonwoo remembers too. 

"Babe?"

Wonwoo's voice awoke the taller from his thoughts,

"Hm?" he hummed in reply,

"Were you listening?" 

Mingyu chuckled guiltily in reply, 

"Kyungtae invited us over sometime, we should visit him"

"Yeah, I live alone so, you guys could stay the night or something."

Mingyu smiled and nodded, not really sure how to answer that.

"Hey, remember that sleepover party that Jiheol had in the first grade..."

Kyungtae and Wonwoo once again slipped in the reminiscing about the past. Mingyu just held Wonwoo's hand a little tighter, and continued walking. 

He didn't want to be that controlling boyfriend who thinks he has the right to choose who Wonwoo talks to, even if this Kyungtae guy made him feel uneasy. 

But that sense of control began to change.

Wonwoo and Kyungtae had been hanging out, a lot more than Mingyu saw fit. But he kept quiet. Until one day, he saw Wonwoo at the University's entrance. The tall boy ran up to him excitedly but then skidded to a stop when he realized that Kyungtae was holding the door open for him. 

Tch. Seriously, him again? 

The pair entered the facility, laughing like they usually were.

"Babe!" Wonwoo said, happily, and Mingyu smiled although it wasn't as sincere as it could've been.

"Hey, how was your day?"

Mingyu said as he kissed Wonwoo quickly on the lips, before wrapping him in an embrace. 

"Just as amazing as you~"

"Lame~" Mingyu protested in the same singing tone, as he nuzzled into the crook between Wonwoo's neck.

Wonwoo chuckled,

"I took Kyungtae-ie around, it's been a while since he's been in Korea, so." the shorter of the couple said,

"Ah, I see..." 

Mingyu's voice trailed off as he looked at the boy who was eyeing the couple, in his eyes were an emotion Mingyu couldn't necessarily distinguish. 

"Wonwoo-ah, I'm gonna go, I have a lecture! Thanks for today!" 

"No problem!" Wonwoo yelled back as Kyungtae jogged off into the halls, waving at his childhood friend with a big smile on his childish face.

Mingyu didn't mean to, but he glared at the boy who was spending more time with his boyfriend than he was, as he ran off. 

"Babe, don't you think you've been hanging out with Kyungtae a lot lately?" Mingyu was the first to break the silence.

Wonwoo was slightly surprised at this question,

"Well, he just got back, and I haven't seen him for a while..." he explained.

"Okay," Mingyu gave him a quick peck on his cheek, "Just don't forget about me~" he continued.

"Never" Wonwoo said as he smiled and tip toed slightly to return the kiss he received.

Mingyu said he had a lecture to attend, to he said his goodbye to his boyfriend. 

On the way to the hall he made the resolve to confront Kyungtae about the situation. Mingyu recalls the looks of jealousy or anger Kyungtae always gives when Mingyu's with Wonwoo. Mingyu entered the lecture hall, and spotted Kyungtae. They shared a stare which neither of them broke for a while. Kyungtae was the first to look away, as Prof. Lee walked in. 

After the lecture, Mingyu approached the boy.

"Kyungtae-ah, can I talk to you for a minute?" 

Kyungtae nodded with an expressionless face, and followed Mingyu into the hallway, where there were barely any people.

"Look, I think we both know what's going on..." the taller of the two said

"What're you talking about?" Kyungtae said with a rather innocent smile.

Mingyu scoffed,

"Don't you think you've been hanging out with my boyfriend a little too much lately?" Mingyu said,

"I mean, c'mon." he said, expecting a response from the shorter.

Kyungtae's innocent smile turned into a sinister smirk,

"I'm caught, huh?"

Mingyu stared in slight disbelief,

"Well, yeah." he scoffed, "Wonwoo's been my boyfriend for about 4 years, so I think I'd be able to tell.."

Kyungtae remained quiet,

"I mean, it's hard not to catch those stares you give us. Can you atleast be a little less obvious, especially when I kiss him? Even on the cheek? You know, I understand that you're his childhood friend, so I was trying to let things slide but I think it's time I brought this up." Mingyu basically ranted.

"So..." Kyungtae began, and Mingyu was ready to fight for his boyfriend, before the shorter continued,

"You don't like me back?"

"He's my boy-" 

Wait- what? That wasn't the response Mingyu was expecting.

"P-Pardon? Wait- what?" Mingyu's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Wait, I don't think we're on the same page.." he continued.

"You know, I think I was jealous the moment I saw you walk in with Wonwoo..."

Mingyu's face contorted in confusion,

"Even as a kid, he got the better toys..." Kyungtae looked up and smirked, "Although, I don't think he'd want to share this one..." he said, looking Mingyu up and down, from head to toe. 

"You like me?" Mingyu asked.

Kyungtae just scoffed, 

"The question is, Mingyu-ah, if you like me." 

Mingyu thought for a second. He had the whole thing completely backwards. It was the complete opposite of his thoughts.

Did the person that Kyungtae liked have sleek black hair and milky white skin? Nope. But his boyfriend did. 

"Are you kidding?" he said, "I've been dating Wonwoo for 4 years-"

"And don't you think that's enough? " Kyungtae interrupted. 

"4 years is a really long time to spend with someone.. Isn't it boring? Isn't it just restricting at this point?" he shorter stepped closer, and he tip toed to whisper in the stunned taller's ear,

"I can be your freedom, your escape." 

Mingyu shoved him off, a little more roughly than he intended to. Kyungtae stepped back, almost stumbling on his feet, as Mingyu drew his face closer.

"I've been in love with him for 4 years. Bored?" he scoffed, 

"Don't make me laugh. Restricting? You? as my freedom?" Mingyu continued,

"I've loved the same person for 4 years straight, and believe me when I say, that will never change." 

Mingyu walked away to go find Wonwoo, and have a little chat. He told himself that he wouldn't reveal Kyungtae, but simply ask his boyfriend to hang out with him less. Besides, he trusted that Kyungtae would stop hanging out with them on his own. 

Upon seeing his boyfriend, Mingyu's face lit up in happiness. In his mind, Kyungtae's words echoed.

4 years in love, and still going. Being in love with someone like this will never be boring. Receiving his love is never restricting. 

Mingyu took Wonwoo by the waist, and kissed him, lovingly on the lips, as he reconfirmed his own words. 

"I love you~" Wonwoo said as he hugged his boyfriend. 

Mingyu smiled and said,

"I love you too." 

And that, will never change. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

yay~ omg my babies, they're all grown up now. GUYS. ARE YOU READY? THIS IS THE 3rd LAST CHAPTER. NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE 2nd LAST, THEN IT'S THE FINALE OF THIS STORY THAT WE EXPERIENCED TOGETHER. :3 lmao, anyway; so yes this chapter takes place  4 years in the future, Wonwoo and Mingyu are both 23 now. AND YEAH - Wonwoo's a detective, Mingyu still determined to be a professor. <3 comment, upvote, subscribe & whateverrrrrrr;

lmao, seriously tho! COMMENT. I love reading your comments, and I'll try to reply to most of them~ <3 Upvote as this story is coming to an end :3 and subscribe, even tho there's only 2 chapters left.. LOL xD 

This chapter was fun to write :3 but sorry it took so long to update; I was working on my Vkook fanfic called, "Tylenol." Please read it and support me! ^_^ 

THANK YOU GUYS, SO SO MUCH. I love you all <3 

I'll try and update soon (SCREAMS. 2nd LAST CHAPTER), but until then, PEACE - Zen