Too Late.

Polar.

Hi guys, quick little note before you guys start this chapter. I highly recommend you read this chapter with This song playing in the back. I think it'll really help set the mood, but pause it for now! I'll tell you in the story when to play it for the most effect. LOOL I'm so lame xD ok. enjoy!

 

Wonwoo rested in the hospital the whole weekend, his parents taking turns to accompany him. Although this was very nice of them, the person who Wonwoo really wanted to visit him, wasn't showing his face, not even once. Jun visited him twice throughout the span of 2 days, but he only stayed an hour or so each visit. Wonwoo didn't really like being immobile, and cursed his broken bones because if it wasn't for them, he would probably run, find and kiss the stupid boy who broke his heart, but also his own. When Jun visited, Wonwoo would ask for advice for how to fix their broke relationship.

"So, you're seriously going after him?"

Wonwoo took another sip of the bubble tea that Jun had brought him.

"Well, yeah." he answered.

"But don't you think he should initate this?" Jun said, honestly. 

Wonwoo thought for a while and replied,

"He won't. He's an idiot. If he's stupid enough to think that breaking up with me would cut me out of his life, in all ways possible, then he's probably dumb enough to think that I actually hate him..." Wonwoo said.

"Plus, it's the 2 of us in a relationship, right? He made an effort, although it was horrible, I mean, who breaks someone's heart like that? But- he did it with the intention of what was best for me.. So I have to make an effort too, right?" Wonwoo continued, flashing Jun a bright smile.

Jun looked at his crippled best friend and said,

"I guess you two really deserve each other."

He proceeded to get up and put on his sling bag,

"What do you mean?"

Jun chuckled and ruffled Wonwoo's already messy hair, and said

"Because you, sir, are stupid enough to still love him."

Wonwoo scrunched his nose and stuck out his tongue at his best friend who was making his way to the door. Jun laughed in response and then waved goodbye as he departed to hang out with Minghao. Wonwoo sat in the hospital bed, sipping his bubble tea, and thinking. Devising a plan to get his boyfriend back. He knew that the feelings were still there, but Sungwon didn't make things easier. Wonwoo thought about Mingyu's past, the past with Seokmin that still haunts him, and prevents him from moving forward. The Class President doesn't know how to tell the one he loves, to move on from Seokmin without sounding like a complete . He plays out scenarios in his head, but each of them end with either Mingyu getting upset at the way Wonwoo expressed himself, or them just not seeing eye to eye, causing an even greater misunderstanding. He didn't want this to happen, so continued thinking of ways to talk to Mingyu and tell him that it was too late to get rid of him. And honestly, he didn't mind. As he was thinking, a glimpse of the previous morning flashed into his mind. He remembered only seeing 2 rings on Mingyu's necklace.

What happened to Wonwoo's? Or possibly Seokmin's? 

This question annoyed Wonwoo for the rest of the weekend, and by Sunday night, the boy had the resolve to go to school the next day and confront Mingyu about the many questions, worries, and plans for the future that he had in mind. Fortunately, he was able to go home that Sunday night, and sleep in the comfort of his own bed. The boy entered his room and was greeted with multiple things that made him cry endlessly a couple of weeks ago. The red jacket that hung above his door, he took it in his arms, and hugged it.

You're so stupid.

He spoke through the jacket to Mingyu. The boy laid in bed, uncomfortably due to his ribs, but he felt more at ease than he did before. Hell yes, it hurt being involved with Mingyu and this 'street' life of his. But he loved the boy, and he couldn't deny that Mingyu always being there to save him made him happy. Wonwoo slowly, and robotically turned over, wincing in pain, and cursing under his breath. He looked at the 'I love You' poster, and smiled and felt his cheeks grow warm. He covered his face as he squirmed in embarrassment, because seeing their pictures still gave him butterflies. He groaned as the squirming caused him pain, but he couldn't help but cringe at himself. And so, the helpless romantic Jeon Wonwoo went to bed, determined to make things right the next day. He was determined to go to school, regardless of his broken bones, and set things right with a certain tall, idiotic delinquent named Kim Mingyu.

But things didn't go as planned.

Monday morning started off with the Class President arriving at the building. Wonwoo was at school early, considering he thought he needed extra time to go to his locker, and taking into consideration the speed he could move at. People kindly offered to help the struggling boy, but he politely declined, determined to do things himself and not be a burden to others. Wonwoo managed to get all his books, as he awkwardly waddled to his class. Luckily he didn't break his legs, or else this task would take an extremely longer time with crutches. The boy got to class, and was excited and nervous to see Mingyu sitting in his usual seat, his chin resting on one of his hands, and his peaceful stillness allowed Wonwoo to assume that he was sleeping. Wonwoo didn't fail to notice Mingyu's knuckles more beat up than usual, and internally smiled knowing that he got those cuts because of saving him, yet felt sad and sorry for the same reason. Wonwoo sat down in his desk, and cautiously tapped Mingyu on the shoulder. Mingyu opened his eyes slowly and turned to look at Wonwoo, who he hadn't spoken to for a few weeks. As he turned, Mingyu revealed his face that looked tired, and hurt. Wonwoo was going to address the matter, but decided to just say,

"C-Can I talk to you during Lunch?"

Mingyu stared into the eyes of the boy he loved, and discarded the urge to crash their lips together, and maintained his straight face. The taller simply nodded in reply, while Wonwoo smiled awkwardly, and pretended to get something out of his back as he scolded himself for stuttering infront of someone he used to talk to comfortably. It's amazing and saddening what time and distance can do to a couple. And so, the first half of the day proceeded as normal, and Wonwoo got increasingly excited and nervous as Lunch approached, and he would soon have the chance to talk to Mingyu. But he didn't quite get that chance. During 4th period, the silent classroom whose only sound was the sound of marker writing on whiteboard, and the faint sound of students' pencils on paper copying notes. This peaceful atmosphere was interrupted when the class phone suddenly rang, cutting through the silence like thunder. The teacher stopped writing the note, and her heels clapped against the tile floor as she went to answer the phone. 

"Hello?"

The students couldn't hear what the voice on the oher line was saying. The teacher scanned the classroom before replying,

"Yes, he's here."

She nodded then continued on, 

"Mingyu-ssi", she said loudly.

The whole class turned to look at the boy who was looking at the teacher with a slightly surprised expression on his face. Wonwoo's eyes followed the tall male as Mingyu got up from his seat and made his way to the phone. The teacher handed the phone off to Mingyu who accepted it with a small nod of his head.

"Yes?"

His low voice resonated in the class as the teacher walkedd back up to the whiteboard. Then, Wonwoo watched in silence as Mingyu's eyes went wide and he suddenly dropped the phone, and sprinted out the classroom door. The phone crashed to the ground, and bounced up by its cord as the class watch, surprised. Minghao got up from his seat, his chair screeching the floor and he was going to run after his friend, when he teacher said,

"Minghao-ssi, please sit down."

She made her way over to the phone, that was still connected to the other line. She pulled it up by its cord and brought it to her face, and walked out of the class to speak with the person. The class remained silent in shock, and gave each other looks of confusion. Wonwoo's face, however, showed worry and concern. The  look in Mingyu's eyes was a feeling of terror that Wonwoo had never seen. Wonwoo, Jun and Minghao exchanged glances of concern and cluelessness.

Something wasn't right.

Mingyu was sprinting, brushing past people without the polite apology afterwards that he would usually give. 

There wasn't time for that. If he didn't hurry, it would be too late.

The boy ran faster than he ever had before in his life as the words from the phonee echoed in his head

"Mingyu-ssi. This is Eun Yujin, in the office... The thing is, Mingyu-ssi... We just got a call from the hospital, and we've been notified that your mom-"

Mingyu didn't listen any further than that. Mingyu shut his eyes tightly as his mind wandered into the possibilities as to what she was going to say, and as he panicked he began running faster. His footsteps and heart began the loudest thing pounding in his head. As Mingyu ran into the hospital, he went straight to the nurses station to ask where his mom was. He was told that she was on the 2nd floor, room 262. The boy took the stairs, not patient enough to wait for the elevator, and was now running down a hallway, desparately searching for the room number. He felt his heart and stomach drop as he found the room, but waiting infront was 2 police officers. Mingyu skidded to an abrupt stop upon spotting the police officers. He walked slower, approaching the 2 well-built men who had noticed Mingyu. 

No.. No, they can't be here for my mom, right? Th-that's ridiculous...

Mingyu thought, but he was proven wrong when the men approached him, meeting him just outside of the room. 

"Kim Mingyu?", the shorter of the 2 officers asked

Mingyu just nodded, as he tried to look into the room, where he hoped his mother was resting, hopefully just here because he overworked herself or something.

"Son, we have some... bad news to tell you..." the other one said.

"Where's my mom? Is she in here?" 

Mingyu was trying to avoid the "news", and simply get to his mom's side where he believes he is needed the most. 

"Mingyu, I suggest you listen to what we have to say first, before you go in there to see her..." the officer said, with a firm voice, yet you could the tinge of sadness as he spoke to the teen. 

Mingyu decided to calm down, and just listen to what the men had to say. Maybe some teenager attacked his mom, and that's why the police got involved. Mingyu started to get nervous as he thought of the possibility of Sungwon... but the reality of the situation was much worse.

The tall 18 year old boy was informed that his father was released from his sentence today. He had proved in prison that he had improved exceptionally well, reflected on his mistakes and actions, and the judge decided to let him out with just parol. Mingyu's eyes went wide at the mention of his father.

Why is he significant in this? This is about my mom. W-what did...

The police officers continued to regretfully tell Mingyu that his mother was beaten by the man. His punches were so strong, that it caused her fatal brain damage, thus she slipped into a coma. The police arrived at the scene after one of their neighbours, who went to go drop off something for his mom witnessed the horrible beating and called the police. Mingyu stood there, feeling his legs go weak as he stared blankly at the officers who were showing him remorse on their faces. To make matters worse, the doctors who had taken her in had pronounced her braindead a few minutes ago.

This can't be happening, right? This is all a joke, right? Coma? N-No, my mom can't be dead... Not her too.

*MOOD RUINER; LOL, play the song now!*

Everything the police officers said after that was a blur. Mingyu didn't hear the part of his father being arrested for alleged manslaughter, and that his sentence would probably be 30 to life. All he thought about was getting into that room as soon as possible. The police officers left, and Mingyu stood outside the room door, staring blankly. He shook his head as he awaked himself from his thoughts and he hesitantly opened the door. Mingyu stepped into the room, and almost fell to his knees when he saw his mom lying in the bed, her beautiful face almost unrecognizable. Mingyu's breaths grew shallow as tears slipped out of his eyes and rolled down his cheeks as he slowly made his way to the bed. He collapsed at the side, and before he knew it he was sobbing. Mingyu took his mom's hand into his and he squeezed it tight, until his knuckles became white. Mingyu let out cries of sorrow and pain as he gasped for air, 

"Mom," he managed to choke out, "You're alive right? C'mon, let's go home.." Mingyu sobbed, as he took his mom's peaceful face in his free hand, still grasping her hand with his other.

"C'mon, the food here isn't that great compared to yours.. Plus, your bed is a lot more comfortable, right?" Mingyu said, her cheek as he let the tears fall.

"I know you can't hear me, but please just respond," Mingyu said as he let out a long sob. 

Being a deaf mother was hard. Mingyu's mom, Kim Minah really did try her best in raising a respectable, honourable child. And she succeeded. Mingyu continued crying as he just hugged his mom, still kneeling on the hospital floor beside her bed. Mingyu sobbed, his tears not stopping as he slowly but surely grasped the reality of the situation. Doctors came in and Mingyu heard the painful news all over again. Brain dead. No hope for life. Taking her off life support. Mingyu stared blankly, taking in the information as he cried silent tears. The doctors felt so sorry for the recently orphaned boy, he was only in his teens for God's sake. They allowed Mingyu some time before they took her off life support, and within this time Mingyu just sat in the room and stared at his mother's lifeless body. He pulled out his phone, and there were over 20 missed calls from Minghao. Mingyu simply just texted Minghao,

I'm at the hospital.

Minghao then relayed this information to Wonwoo. Wonwoo left school, using the excuse that he needed to go to the hospital to check on his broken bones, which he slickly got away with. He took a taxi to the building, because he for sure wasn't walking, or running. The boy got out, and entered the building and was greeted by a nurse who asked if he was experiencing any pain. Wonwoo politely dismissed it and questioned where Kim Mingyu could be found. Then, he started making his way to room 262. The Class President knocked on the door, and then proceeded to slowly, and hesitantly, open the door. Wonwoo eyes went wide as he saw Mingyu's mom laying peacefully in the bed, and then his eyes turned to Mingyu who was sitting in a chair pulled up at her bedside. His eyes were red, and looked as if he had lost all will to live. Wonwoo stood at the doorway, looking at Mingyu who stared back as tears rolled down his cheeks. The shorter had never seen Mingyu cry, not even once, so seeing him in this state was devastating. Wonwoo cautiously walked closer and Mingyu in reply stood up, and now the two were standing face to face.

"Mingyu-ah..." 

"I've been in this hospital far too many times, Wonwoo-ah..." Mingyu said as he sniffled, and Wonwoo could hear the heartbreak in his voice. 

Wonwoo just watched in silence as Mingyu broke down,

"She's gone..." Mingyu said, as his tears began flowing faster, having said the reality of the situation out loud. Wonwoo bit his tongue, holding back his own tears for the sake of Mingyu. He stepped closer, unsure if he should hug him or not.

"Everyone close to me ends up getting hurt... First Seokmin, now my mom... They all die because of me."

Mingyu blamed himself, and Wonwoo shook his head as he took Mingyu into his arms. Mingyu allowed him and he began soaking Wonwoo's shoulder with tears, and Wonwoo his hair as he felt Mingyu gasp for air between sobs. 

"I can't risk losing you too, Wonwoo-ah." he said.

Wonwoo began crying at this statement, and hugged him tighter. Wonwoo was comforted as Mingyu wrapped his arms around him, too, but he continued crying.

"If you keep involving yourself with me, one day you're going to end up in this hospital and that time you won't wake up." Mingyu cried,

"The ones I love the most...." Mingyu's aching voice trailed off, and continued, "It should be me... it should've been me." 

Wonwoo's heart wrenched as Mingyu's voice cracked in sadness and despair. 

"I-I should've been there to protect her.. I could've easily fought him off, I could've prevented this..." Mingyu broke the hug and took Wonwoo's face in his shaking hands and by now they were both crying. Mingyu stared into Wonwoo's eyes, as his own were blurred with tears and he said,

"So, please... Please Wonwoo-ah... atleast let me prevent you from getting hurt... Atleast let me save you from dying like all the people I love do."

Before Wonwoo could say anything,

"Please just hate me... Love someone else, don't love me. Don't involve yourself with me, with my life..." Mingyu pleaded, and Wonwoo's heartbroke with each word as he watched the love his life suffer and still hurt himself by saying that. Mingyu had always been strong, strong enough to act like his heart wasn't breaking he broke up with Wonwoo, and seeing him in this weak state made Wonwoo want to be by his side forever.

"Too late." Wonwoo replied, and this time he took Mingyu's face in his as he brought their foreheads together,

"It's too late for me to not love you. It's too late for me not to involve myself in your life, considering you're mine. Please don't blame yourself for any of this, Mingyu-ah... I hate seeing you suffer like this, but I promise to stay by your side through it all." Mingyu stared back, his tears silently falling,

"So please don't tell me to love someone else because that's not happening. You're the only one I'll ever love. And don't place this huge burden on your shoulders because none of this is your fault..." Wonwoo was crying too, and but he continued and concluded with, 

"It's too late, I already told you right? I'm involved with who you were, who you are right now, and everything you're going to be. And I'll always be by your side, just like your mom and Seokmin continue to watch over you."

The couple hugged again and they sobbed into each other's clothing for quite sometime. Wonwoo comforted his boyfriend that he had never seen even tear up, yet the same person was sobbing controllably right infront of him. It took a long time for Mingyu to calm down, but Wonwoo didn't mind staying with him. Eventually, Wonwoo was sitting beside Mingyu and talking to Minah,

"Hi Mrs. Kim... I'm Jeon Wonwoo. I'm sure you have hearing in Heaven, right?" 

The couple were holding hands, and Mingyu missed the comforting touch of Wonwoo throughout his tough boy act. 

"I'm your son's boyfriend. I think you already know that.." Wonwoo chuckled softly as he looked at Minah's peaceful body,

"I promise to be here for Mingyu. Always," Wonwoo said, "I'll make sure he eats his meals, and doesn't get involved in too many fights... I wish I could've had the chance to talk to you more... It would've been nice to be close with my future mother-in-law" Mingyu nudged Wonwoo at the statement and made a weird face,

"Hehe, just kidding... But I do promise to be here for him. I promise to be the best boyfriend he could ever have... I promise to be someone that you would've been proud to announce to people as your son's boyfriend." 

After talking with Minah, the doctors came in and took her off life support. And, Wonwoo stayed with Mingyu, comforting him, and just trying to make his sorrow subside. 

The passing of Mingyu's mom also brought about the reunion of the couple. Their bond reformed, and stronger than before. On the day of the funeral, Mingyu was dressed up in all black, his suit fitting his body insanely well. Beside him was his boyfriend, holding his hand as he too looked dapper in all black. The Jeon parents were standing behind them mourning the passing of someone the never really got to meet, yet somehow they felt a connection with her. Minghao and the boys were all lined up beside Mingyu on his left, all in their best black attire, similar to what they wore on Seokmin's funeral. Seokmin's parents were also present and they sat relatively close to the front. After the ceremony, Mingyu brought up a bouquet of flowers and placed it on her casket. As everyone was leaving, they gave the boy their condolences, and Mingyu accepted them with bows. Once everyone left, Wonwoo and his parents included, agreeing that Mingyu deserved some time alone to grieve, he did just that. He sat beside his newly buried mother and talked about anything and everything. Apologizing for things he had done in the past, thanking her for everything she had done for him. Mingyu looked up at the sky and his eyes glistened with tears as he gave a sad smile, thinking about Seokmin and his dear mother watching over him from above. He continued smiling as he thought about Wonwoo. His boyfriend, the love of his life, and his strength. His meaningful words at the hospital, and the way he rejected the idea of leaving Mingyu alone. Mingyu got up from the graveyard and began walking, not to home but to the base where he knew his brothers were probably waiting. As he walked he thought about his own idiotic actions and words towards Wonwoo. The way he pretended not to love him, the way he told him it was better not to be involved with him. He naturally smiled as he reflected on Wonwoo's reply, and he thought to himself

"I guess it is too late, huh?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

okay, so yes, meanie is back together, but I apologize for killing another character off... LOL if you guys didn't listen to the song I linked in the beginning, then I highly recommend that you do so! (: I hope you guys liked this chapter! I know it was kind of angsty. xD But, yeah! This was very exciting to write, I was spazzing while writing it because I actually thought the dialogue was decent.. LOL but what do you guys think? xD Comment, subscribe, upvote & whateverrrrrrrr

srsly tho; comment your thoughts about this chapter, or the story in general. I honestly LOVE reading your guys' comments, and they make my day sometimes! You guys are so supportive, and ILY. LOL, subscribe to keep updated, and upvote if you're enjoying Polar. so far! 

I LOVE YOU GUYS~:3 and yeah! That's all from me today, and I hope you enjoyed reading.

I'll try and update soon, but until then, PEACE - Zen