[EXTRA] Hoonjae Chapter

Polar.

Hi guys, it's Zen! This chaper is just an extra one about Hoonjae, from the previous chapter, as requested by some readers. His story isn't really necessary for the Polar. storyline, so it's perfectly fine to skip  this chapter! It's simply a request, and not anything serious! Nevertheless, those of you who choose to continue on, I hope you enjoy this extra chapter on Im Hoonjae! :D 

 

 

 

Im Hoonjae.

The eldest son of the Im family, with 2 younger brothers who were 12 and 14, while he himself was 18. The prime of his youth was finally upon him. He had caramel brown eyes, which he had gotten from his mother, and a smile so sweet that almost anyone would fall for him.

And that happened to be the case most of the time.

At 18, Hoonjae was supposed to be enjoying his youth, finding a dating partner, hanging out with friends. And he did most of those things, except the dating part. You see, because of his appearance it was really easy to get a girlfriend, or boyfriend. He'd done so in the past, and had broken up relationships just as easily as he broke his own. Dating was boring, girlfriends and boyfriends were going to leave or get boring soon enough, so Hoonjae didn't really care, but to entertain himself, he hooked up with people often. Not doing anything serious, but just hanging out, maybe some kisses here and there, depending on how attractive the partner of the week was. 

He didn't really mean to be, or realize it, but he was quite the playboy.

It didn't help that he had a friendly, kind personality and he was smart. So, many people fell under his charming spell. Even his own bestfriend, Joon Mincheol.

Mincheol had stayed by Jae's side through it all, even giving advice during his 'relationships', and yet the playboy was oblivious to the feelings Min had for him. Min liked the way Jae helped people up with a smile, if he saw them fall. The way he was the captain of the basketball team, and treated his teammates equally, not thinking himself as superior. Hoonjae's smile was enough to make Min happy, so him just being his 'bestfriend' contented him. His looks, and loving personality made it incredibly easy for Hoonjae to get into relationships.

Basically, Hoonjae was the dream boyfriend. 

And despite having 'dated' many people, he's only truly found only 2 people interesting. One of them, was Myung Haesoo. A boy his age, who had black eyes to match his hair. He also had a boyfriend. 

But that didn't stop Hoonjae. Jae would always try and break apart the couple, since he was confident that Haesoo would like him, anyway.

Plus, he liked their couple name of JaeSoo. 

Eventually, Hoonjae went as far as kissing Haesoo just in time for his boyfriend to see. Haesoo immediately slapped him across the face, cursing him through gritted teeth. 

Jae was slightly devastated, he was so used to getting whoever he wanted, so for the rest of the week he wasn't really himself. However, with Min's help, Jae was back on his feet again. 

The second person that caught Hoonjae's attention was a certain boy who got the job of a server at the cafe he worked at. The boy was his age, with charcoal hair which covered his eyes slightly, pale flawless skin, and he was almost as tall as himself. Hoonjae introduced himself as he usually did, a smile on his face,

"I'm Wonwoo" the boy replied.

Hoonjae was already mesmerized by his deep voice. His eyes that looked at him with happiness, and a smile so perfect that Hoonjae started doubting his own visuals. To his favour, Jae and Wonwoo ended up becoming close friends. But then, it became more than that for Jae.

", I think I like him.." he said, talking to Min. 

The boys were hanging out after Jae's shift at the cafe. 

Min chuckled,

"Really? If only I had a dime for everytime I've heard you say those words.." Min said, looking up at the sunset sky, wishfully. 

Hoonjae hit him in the arm, playfully,

"Yah, I actually mean it this time..." he said, seriously. 

Min's heart sank alittle when he heard the sincerity in Jae's words. Maybe this time, he would really lose the chance to be with Jae. Maybe this person wouldn't just come and go like all the other people Jae claimed to have 'liked'. 

But this person made Hoonjae happy, right? And so, Min said,

"Okay, okay. Tell me about him, then"

Hoonjae looked at his bestfriend, and then quickly turned away as his cheeks became flushed with pink,

"Oh! Jae is blushing?! Yah~" Min said, amused, and continued on to say

"C'mon, tell me about this person who's special enough to make the infamous Im Hoonjae blush" 

He must be special, right? I mean, I can't even make you blush.

"Shut up!" Jae said, hitting Min with one hand, while shielding his red face with the other. 

Min just laughed as he always did, ignoring the pain in his heart.

"Then tell me about him!" Min demanded, chuckling.

"Well, his name is Jeon Wonwoo... Oh, Min-ah! Get this, he already calls me 'Jae'." 

Min was taken aback by that extra information. The boy knew that Hoonjae's nickname was 'Jae', but honestly, no one had really called him that except himself. Knowing Min wasn't the only one calling him by this nickname kind of hurt, and made him feel less important than he already did. 

"He has black hair, and black eyes. His jawline is so sharp, I swear to God if I ran my finger across it, I'd get cut."

Min couldn't help but laugh at his bestfriend's statement, and the seriousness on Jae's face as he said it. 

"It's true!" Jae said in his defense, as his bestfriend was laughing like a hyena beside him.

They were currently sitting on a park bench, sitting with their legs crossed as they faced each other. Not really normal, but for them 2 it was natural. 

"His voice is really deep, and he has a really nice smile..." Jae looked at Min with curious eyes, "Now that I think about it, he kind of reminds me of you." 

Min's breath got caught in his throat, but after being in love with his bestfriend for over a year, he's learned to deal with the little, meaningless teases. 

"Whatever," Mincheol said, rolling his eyes.

It's been a year since Min confirmed his inner feelings for his bestfriend. It's been a year since Mincheol stood by Jae's side, watching him fool around with any and everyone around them. Everyone except him. After enduring this for a year, Min finally accepted that Jae would probably never be interested in him. If Jae found him even the slightest bit attractive, then he would've made a move by now... 

Right?

However, for Hoonjae's side of their situation, Mincheol was too precious and special of a person to him. Hoonjae didn't want to disrespect Mincheol like that. He didn't want to make his bestfriend feel like simply his play toy, nothing more than that. But in this attempt and determination to protect Mincheol, Hoonjae failed to recognize how Mincheol felt about him. He failed to see the glances of lust Mincheol stole, Jae didn't notice the way Min would blush at subtle physicaly contact, or his looks of pain and jealousy whenever Jae talked about another person he 'had feelings' for. 

"I'm serious!" Jae said, as he began to take off his jacket.

I may remind you of him, but the difference is, you would never date me.

"What're you doing, it's cold. You're gonna get sick," Min said instead of what he was thinking.

"Says the one in a t-shirt," Jae said and proceeded to place his jacket on Min. 

How can I not fall in love with you, when you keep doing things like this?

Min accepted it, and Jae sat back down, making himself comfortable again. 

"So, yeah...." Jae sighed, and ruffled his hair, groaning "Ugh! I hate feelings! They're too complicated!" he yelled, with his eyes tightly shut

Mincheol laughed,

"You have no idea, buddy." he said.

Jae abruptly stopped tangling his hair, and opened one of his eyes, squinting at Min,

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

Min gave a sad smile and laugh and said,

"You don't know how complicated feelings can really be." he stared down at his fiddling hands, "Half of you wants to just run up to them and kiss them, and tell them everything you've been feeling. But the other half of you wants for them to be happy, even if you're not the cause or reason for the smile, or the butterflies in their stomach." 

The shorter of the 2 scoffed,

"You have no freakin' idea, Hoonjae-ah" he said, looking up at his bestfriend, with sad eyes. 

"Because you always get the person you want, you don't have to experience the dilemma, the anxiety of wondering if they like you back. You don't experience the heartbreak when you found out that they don't. Hell, you'll probably get Wonwoo without a hich, too."

Hoonjae just kind of stared, unsure of what to do about what Min had just said. 

"Min-ah, are you in love with someone?" Jae said, after a few seconds, taking time to process what Min was saying. 

Min stared blankly at the boy in front of him, blinking a couple of times, and resisting the urge to punch the ridiculously dense boy in the face. 

"Hmm, yeah, I guess you could say so."

"Really?! Tell me!" Jae said, 

"No, it's fine. It's not a big deal,"

"Not a big deal?!" Hoonjae echoed, offended, "What the Hell do you mean, my best friend's in love~! Tell me who it is! C'mon, Min-ah, tell me!" he said, like an eager puppy.

"No~," the boy rejected Jae, as he got up from the bench, "He loves someone else anyway." 

Mincheol began walking away from the bench, waving, but not turning around,

"I'm going home~" he said, "Bye, Jae~" 

Hoonjae was left alone on the bench as he stared at his bestfriend's retreating back, wondering who Mincheol would love.

As the days went on, Jae got closer to Wonwoo, which he broadcasted to Min, who would pretend to be happy for him,

"He calls me Jae, but I want to make a nickname for him." he said,

It was currently lunch and the boys were sitting up on the roof of their school, and they were dicussing Jae's struggle with his feelings for Wonwoo.

"Then, make one." Min said, taking a bite out of his sandwich, his tone implying that the solution was obvious.

"Yah, it's not as simple as it seems."

"Then, I'll help you" the other replied.

"Really?"

"Yeah, tell me something you notice about him, other than his features that you won't shut up about." the black haired boy said,

"Hm, well, he's always sleeping whenever he's on break.. Or reading. I don't think I've seen him do much else, to be honest." Jae said, taking a sip from Min's iced tea, not even bothering to waterfall.

After a few seconds of thinking, the boy said,

"Call him 'Sloth', then." 

"Sloth?" Jae repeated, an odd expression on his face

"Yeah, I think it's suiting.. Plus, sloths are cute, don't you think so?" the other assured, with a smile. 

It became a habit to smile whenever Jae say Min's smile, and so he followed and nodded,

"Yeah, okay!"

And so, 'Sloth' became Jae's crush's new nickname, which surprisingly did suit him really well. Hoonjae was falling for Wonwoo more each day, and the more Min heard about this boy his bestfriend is head over heels over, he became more discouraged, and felt like the 2 dating was becoming a closer reality than he had hoped. 

 

"I think I'm gonna confess tomorrow night." Jae said, and Min's heart sank. He could feel his chest tightening, his heart being crushed just because of a few words. 

Ah, so this is it, huh? The slightest chance, the smallest bit of hope I had... Gone.

Mincheol smiled,

"Good luck, Jae! Do it in person, though. Don't be that lame person who does it over text," he said, shaking his head near the end of his words.

Atleast he has the courage to actually confess

"I don't even have his number, and I was planning on doing it as we lock up the cafe tomorrow. We both work till closing," he explained, although Min wanted him to stop talking, considering every word was like another excrutiating stomp on his already weak heart.

"Alright, text me about how it goes, okay?" 

"Will do!" 

The pair was walking home after school, and just separated to each go on to their respective streets. 

When he got home, Mincheol decided once and for all to try and get over his bestfriend, considering that in the next 24 hours, he might actually find a boyfriend he wants to stay with. To avoid any excessive heartbreak, Min made plans with someone for the next day, the day that Jae was supposedly going to confess to Wonwoo.

The day that Min dreaded had crept up on him, simply after closing his eyes at night fall, and opening them after a couple of hours when daylight had made its way through his window. 

At school, Min acted as he usually did, acted hyped and excited for his bestfriend's approaching confession. Calming him down, and giving Jae pep talks, because that's what bestfriends were for.

After school, Jae headed to the cafe, while Min walked home alone, for the first time in a while, and began getting ready to hang out with a boy, who happened to be a year older. Min wasn't bad looking, so it wasn't hard for him to get someone to agree to hang out. Mincheol was Hoonjae's height, he was slender yet had broad shoulders and a nice bone structure. His eyes were big and round, and he had a smile as deadly as his bestfriend's. His skin was tanner than Jae's, but it was a beautiful complexion none the less. His black hair was short at the sides, and his hair was just as attractive in a quiff, as it was down, falling over his cheerful eyes. The boy he was meeting up with is a graduate from his highschool, and they talked a while before he graduated, and he was glad to spend some time with his cute junior. 

As the night dragged on, Min decided to text Jae, excusing himself from his senior for a few minutes,

Hey, how'd it go? Does he like you back? 

He messaged, dreading the answer

Nope, he has a boyfriend

Mincheol was slightly relieved, yet at the same time confused,

So? That hasn't stopped you before..

Noo.. This couple.. I feel like nothing could separate them, they love each other too much to let that happen

What do you mean? the boy texted back for clarification

Him and his boyfriend...

They belong together

 

The next day, Min was comforting Jae in his second failed relationship. But this time it was different, because Min knew that Jae really liked this 'Wonwoo' guy. However, the day before, Min had made a resolve within himself, that whatever the turn out from the confession was, he would try his best to get over Hoonjae. After a year, he decided to stop having hope, and just try and move on. To just see Jae as a bestfriend, nothing more and definitely nothing less. And so, in his attempt at this, he continued seeing his senior, Kim Leesun. 

One day at school, Jae and Min were talking,

"Wanna hang out after school today?" Jae suggested,

"Ah, I can't, sorry." 

Jae looked at the other, surprised considering he had never denied an invitation to hang out. Noticing this look, Min continued,

"I'm hanging out with Leesun today,"

For some reason, Jae didn't like hearing those words. 

"Leesun?" 

"You know, our senior who graduated last year.."

"Ah, him? Mincheol-ah, you know he's a player!" Jae said, and Min scoffed and started chuckling,

"So are you, Jae."

The accused boy stared at his hands, and said,

"Yeah, but he might hurt you if you fall too hard..."

You say that like you've never hurt me. You say it like I haven't fallen hard enough for you.

"If I get hurt, then atleast I'll learn a lesson. Plus, I think I've been through worse," Min said,

"Is Leesun the one you're in love with?" 

Min was surprised at Jae's sudden interest in who he was hanging out with,

"Hmm, I'm not too sure. He's not a bad guy-"

"He doesn't deserve you." Jae said, lowly, just barely enough for Min to hear.

But it didn't sound like something he wanted Min too hear, so he disregarded it.

Min hanging out with Leesun continued for quite some time, and Jae started to feel this weird feeling in his heart. He didn't know what it was, but knowing Min was hanging out with someone else was an unsettling feeling that he didn't like. He didn't like knowing Leesun was a player, knowing Min's kind and loving nature. He didn't like the way they weren't hanging out as often.

"Jae! Guess what?" Min said, excited,

"What?" the other replied,

"Leesun asked me out" 

Mincheol was excited, not because he was dating the guy of his dreams. But because dating Leesun means that he could try and move on from his unrequited love. Most of him still loved Jae, but maybe he could use Leesun as a way to get over him.

"Oh..." was all Jae could say,

"Yah, what kind of bestfriend are you?" Min jokingly said, "Aren't you happy for me?"

"Yeah!" Jae said, slightly forced. 

Maybe it's because he just failed at a relationship, Min concluded.

"Hey, Min-ah, wanna hang out this Friday?"

"Sorry, Jae. That's our first date" Min said

Before Jae could say anything else, Min's phone started ringing,

"Oh, sorry - one sec," Min said as he got up from the table they were sitting at, and answered the call,

"Hi Leesun-ah!"

Jae watched Min walk away, talking on the phone with someone he didn't particularly like. He put down his burger, having suddenly lost his appetite. What was this unsettling feeling in his stomach? 

Maybe he just instinct to protect his bestfriend.. Yeah, that's all it was. Just something friendly...

Right?

As Min continued seeing Leesun, he started missing Jae a little more than usual. Also, as the days passed, Hoonjae, being extremely dense when it came to true love, finally determined what the Hell was bothering him.

He was in love with his bestfriend.

He was in love with Min's habit of scrunching his nose whenever he was happy or excited. It wasn't a friendly instinct, it was jealousy because the one person he should've loved long ago, was no longer by his side. Jae cursed himself for being so stupid, and failing to realize these feelings that had always been lurking deep inside his heart.

And so, Jae made a plan to let Mincheol know how he felt about him. 

 

"How's Hoonjae?" Leesun said, while he was walking Min home from their date.

"Huh? Oh- uh... He's alright.." 

"Are you still madly in love with him?"

Those words took Min by surprise, causing him to skid to a stop was they were walking, almost tripping over his own two feet. Leesun noticed the clumsy action and started chuckling,

"I'll take that as a 'yes'."

"W-what? H-how'd you know?" Min stuttered.

"Aw, c'mon. Anyone could see how madly in love you were with him." 

"I don't know what you're talking about" the other said defensively, and Leesun looked at him, an amused smile on his face.

"Your red as Hell cheeks say otherwise."

The two walked on for a little longer,

"S-So... so, then why would you ask me out, if you knew?"

"Hm, let's see. Well, in my defense, you contacted me first. And, it was fun while it lasted, dating my cute junior.."

His words made Mincheol realize and remember why so many people fell for this handsome senior. His charms were deadly, and it's why Min liked him when he was a freshmen. It was almost everyone's dream to date either Leesun, or Hoonjae.

"But, I think we both know who you really want to be with, right?" 

Mincheol remained silent while nodding his head,

"Have you told him yet?"

"Nope..." 

Currently, Min was feeling guilty for using such a sweet guy to get over his bestfriend, and yet he was still unable to do it. 

"You should tell him."

"No way," Min said, laughing while shaking his head,

"Why not?" Leesun said, "He loves you too, you know." 

Min continued laughing, 

"No, he doesn't... If he found me even the slightest bit attractive or datable, he would've made a move by now. We've been friends for 3 years, loved him for 1, and it's getting really hard."

Leesun chuckled,

"You're so naive" he said, while ruffling Min's hair,

"It's because you guys are bestfriends that Jae doesn't realize what he feels for you is love. Listen, Min-ah, there's a insanely thin line between lovers and friends... You've clearly already crossed it," he teased and Min hit him lightly in the arm,

"But Jae is walking it like a tightrope... But don't worry, the wind as been blowing for too long, he'll definitely join you soon." 

The pair was currently stopped underneath a lamp post near park, and Leesun was looking down at Min, with a sweet smile on his face. Suddenly, he looked down the road, past Mincheol, his smile grew wider with amusement

"Or maybe he's already there." 

Mincheol turned around and followed Leesun's gaze, and to his surprise, he saw a familiar figure jogging down the parkway path. 

"Mincheol-ah!" Jae yelled out, out of breath and panting once he reached the duo.

Hoonjae grabbed Min by his wrist, and looked up at Leesun,

"Sorry, can I take him?"

Leesun gave a satisfied smirk, 

"He's all yours."

"Thanks!" Jae replied quickly.

Before Min could even object, let alone thank Leesun for being so amazing and supportive, he was being dragged away by the wrist. The person clutching his wrist was none other than the boy he was madly in love with. The grip around Min's wrist, the way Jae's fingers held him as if he was precious and fragile, yet an affirming impatient grip said otherwise. 

Jae dragged him to Min's house, stopping at the end of the driveaway,

"What the Hell, Jae? You can't just drag me away from Leesun like that, we were tal-" 

Min was interrupted by a pair of lips on his own. Jae had Min's chin is his hands, as he continued his bestfriend sweetly. The kiss conveying all the emotions he was too stupid to notice, all the emotions Min tried so hard to hide. Their faces finally separated after a few seconds, and they just stared into each other's eyes, Jae still holding Min's face. Before Min could say anything Jae just said,

"I'm sorry." 

Min just stared into the eyes he has admired for so long,

"Not for dragging you away from Leesun.. But for taking so damn long to realize," Jae stopped and smiled, not breaking his gaze at Min's round eyes,

"That I ing love you." he said, taking Mincheol into his arms, in a warm loving embrace.

Mincheol smiled into their hug, and let out a sigh of relief,

"Took you long enough," he said, "Idiot."

 

 

And so, from then on Mincheol and Hoonjae were a happy couple. Mincheol met up with Leesun and properly thanked him, and apologized for using him as a way to get over Jae. Jae continued working at the cafe, along with Wonwoo who became one of his friends.

After a year of trying to cope with an unrequited love, and a year of Jae walking that thin line that separated love and friendship, the 2 bestfriends finally became a couple. And one day, as they were walking down the sidewalk, holding hands, they passed by Leesun, who they didn't notice since they were in their own world. Leesun looked at the couple, and sincere happiness beaming from Mincheol's face, and he thought to himself,

Took you long enough, a smile crept up on his face, Idiot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

okay guys! here is the extra chapter on Hoonjae! I hope you guys liked it, it was different trying to write a oneshot in the middle of my chaptered fic. LOL But! It was fun nonetheless. 

This extra chapter was a request, so I honestly didn't know what I was going to write about... but that's the product. LOL Sorry if it ! :D 

I promise to update soon, a chapter that goes with the Polar. storyline, but I hope you guys enjoyed this little oneshot on the sweet boy from the cafe. 

Comment your thoughts on this chapter, subscribe to keep updated, and upvote if you guys are liking my story! :D 

I love you guys so so much, and I'll do my best to upload soon. 

P/S; yes, Polar is ending soon! :D Planning to make it end at around chapter 33 or 34? Depends. 

OKAY THIS UNNECSSARY CHAPTER IS OVER! Love you guys, I'll try & update soon, until then, PEACE - Zen