Detention

Polar.

         Jeon Wonwoo was a hard working student. He came from a stable family, and was a humble, respectful 18 year old teenage boy, who was trying to get through his senior year of highschool peacefully. Wonwoo didn't necessarily put himself out there, he was never really the center of attention. The only time he was, was during exams and tests, because he would always take number one of the class. Due to his amazing grades, and being such a good worker, his teacher decided to appoint him as Class President. Other than that, Wonwoo didn't want to stand out, or cause a ruckus, just as he had been doing the past 3 years. Although he wasn't that popular, he wasn't bad looking. He had nice features, cold eyes, but as you got to know him, you would realize that he's sweet and gentle. He was quite tall, almost the tallest in his class, and his voice was nice and low. Infact, a couple of girls throughout the school year tried confessing to the Class President, and each of them got apologetically rejected. It's not that he didn't like the girls, it's just he wanted to remain low, and focus on his studies. He didn't have time for distractions such as girlfriends, or sports. During one of their lunch breaks, instead of eating, Wonwoo was at his desk alone studying and solving some math problems. Suddenly, someone put a rough arm around his neck, which started him.

"Yah~. As expected of the Class Pres. Doing work during lunch.", said a familiar voice.

Wonwoo looked up from his textbook and smiled at his bestfriend of 3 years, basically their whole highschool life. Wen Junhui. He was alot like Wonwoo in most aspects. He too was also hardworking, but a little more laid back than Wonwoo. They were about the same height, 180cm, and ultimately liked similar things. Since they were so alike, they became bestfriends in almost no time. Wonwoo shrugged of the slightly older's arm, and went back to working.

"Whatever, Jun~" he said as he picked up his pencil and continued writing.

Jun sat infront of the President, and started eating his lunch. He tossed Wonwoo a bread bun which landed on his math homework. 

"Eat.", he said with a nice smile. 

Wonwoo took the bun gratefully, unwrapped it and started eating. Since Jun sat with him, Wonwoo decided to put away the books and talk with his bestfriend. They talked about weird, random things, but one of the main topics was their plans after highschool. Wonwoo had wanted to get into the medical field, while Jun said he wanted to persure the career of being a teacher in China. The lunch bell rang, and then 4th period began. Everyone returned to their assigned seats, which were in alphabetical order from their family name. To the left of Wonwoo was an empty desk. The desk was empty most of the time, and no one really seemed to ask why. Their teacher walked in, set her books down and greeted the class. 4th period was Science, and incidentally, Wonwoo's least favourite subject. However, he knew whenever they were doing Science, the certain desk to his left would not be empty anymore. And, as expected in the middle of class, as the teach was writing notes on the board, their classroom door was roughly opened. The door slamming open was enough to startle most of the class, and made the teacher stop writing on the board. The whole class turned to look at the door, and quickly returned their gazes up front and became a little tense when a tall figure walked in. He was the tallest in the class, taller than Wonwoo and Jun. His face and knuckles were covered in new bruises everytime the class saw him. He entered the classroom, his uniform a bit worn out and torn in some places, and bowed a full 90 degrees towards the teacher. 

"Mingyu-ssi.", her feminine voice filled the room, "You're 10 minutes late." she continued after looking at the clock.

The tall male simply bowed again and said, "Sorry.", his voice low and deep.

He then headed towards his seat, and as he was walking, the usual murmurs and whispers began to fill the class. Mingyu simply ignored them, he didn't care about what students said about him at this point. He pulled out his chair carelessly, sat down and took out his notebook. Wonwoo stared at the male beside him. Mingyu had a nice face, minus all the bruises and cuts. His jawline was nice, and he had round eyes that would be really attractive if he didn't look so angry and cold all the time. Wonwoo stared a bit too long, and ended up making eyecontact with the rebel, to which he quickly returned his gaze to the board. Mingyu brushed it off, and he too continued to take notes. At the end of the period, Wonwoo as the Class President lead the end saying,

"Rise," his deep voice resounded in the class, and was followed by chairs being pushed against the floor as he and his classmates stood up

"Bow", he said, and all the students bowed their heads and said, "Thank you." then everyone dispersed into their little socials groups as they waited for period 5 to begin. As usual, Jun attacked Wonwoo from behind which made Wonwoo laugh, and told him to stop after a short while. As much as Wonwoo didn't like period 4, period 5 was even worse. It wasn't the subject, in fact Wonwoo enjoyed History, but the teacher was harsh and strict. Any misconduct during this period was not tolerated by Mr. Seo whatsoever. To his left, Wonwoo saw Mingyu packing up his stuff. Mingyu stuffed the notebook into his almost empty black backpack and got up from his seat. Jun was talking to Wonwoo, who wasn't listening and still had his attention on his tall classmate that was walking out the door. However, as soon as he got out the door, someone bumped into him. Not just anyone though, it was a freshman, who thought he was the . Being in his first year, he never heard about Mingyu, and ofcourse had to confront the dude who had just bumped into him. Mingyu was significantly taller than the freshman, but the younger didn't care. 

"Uh-oh" Wonwoo said outloud, and quickly got out of his seat and ran towards the doorway. When he got there, there was already a crowd forming between the rebels from freshmen and senior year. The naive freshmen didn't know what he was getting into, when he stopped Mingyu from walking away. He grabbed Mingyu's arm, and turned him around.

"Hey. You bumped into me..." he said looking into the taller's eyes, "You're not gonna say sorry?'

Mingyu scoffed and rolled his eyes, and once again attempted to walk away. Mingyu didn't feel like dealing with someone that was wasting his time. But, once again the younger stopped Mingyu from fleeing the scene.

"Yah, I was talking to you." said the shorter, with more irritation in his voice. Mingyu narrowed down his eyes to the younger standing infront of him. He began walking closer, silently closing the gap between the two rebels. Everyone in the crowd remained silent, and their eyes stayed glued to the interesting scene taking place infront of them. By now, Jun was already beside Wonwoo and was watching the scene along side him. Wonwoo felt scared for the freshmen who made a grave mistake of messing with one of the school's most wellknown delinquent. Mingyu was now centimeters away from the shorter's face, to which the shorter didn't back down from.

"You can't scare me.", he said confidently. He then scoffed and squinted his eyes at Mingyu, "Don't you know who I am?". Mingyu didn't answer the idiotic question. Mingyu leaned into the stuck up little boy's face and said,

"No." then tilted his head, slightly and continued, "Do you know who am?" 

The freshman faced his head to the side, and laughed for a brief second, then turn back to Mingyu with a serious glare. Then, he suddenly swung. The whole crowd gasped, and their eyes widened. Wonwoo froze, knowing what was about to happen, and he knew he should stop it, but he didn't know how. When the freshman swung, Mingyu skillfully dodged his punch, grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back. The way Mingyu remained calm while doing so showed experience of a longtime fighter. The shorter boy winced in pain, and gritted his teeth.

"I'm Kim Mingyu.", he introduced himself coolly. 

Mingyu began laughing, and let the boy go, shoving him to the wall. The boy turned around to face the taller, who had a slick smirk on his face and was taunting him with his fingers. Mingyu gestured towards himself, and the furious boy ran towards him. The freshman was throwing punches, without any strategy or real aim, just pure anger and embarrassment. Mingyu fake yawned at the futile attempt of landing a hit from the boy. Then, he smirked and he too began attacking. Mingyu's first punch landed right in the middle of the brat's face, making his nose bleed. Mingyu's second blow landed in the shorter's stomach, making him collapse on his knees. That's when Wonwoo stepped in. Right in between the "rebel" on the floor with a bloody nose, and a tall delinquent who had opened old cuts on his knuckles, was an awkward, nerdy Class President. And, just their luck, Mr. Seo caught them right at that moment. The crowd dispersed, including Jun who wanted to avoid trouble, but the 3 froze there. Mr. Seo's eyes darted furiously between the tall senior still standing, the Pres. and the poor freshman who was on the ground. 

"You two senior students. Detention! After school, with me. Room 214." Mr. Seo quickly made his way to the freshman and offered him assistance and brought him to the office. Mingyu and Wonwoo remained there, frozen. Wonwoo didn't really want to interact with him, but the way they both awkwardly stood there made the silence heavier. Right after Wonwoo mustered up the courage to say something, before he could get words out of his mouth, Mingyu was turned around and walking down the hall. 

"W-where are you going?" Wonwoo called out, his voice nervously cracking. Mingyu turned around, making eyecontact with his classmate.

"Places.", he replied. "You don't have to come to detention, I'll tell Mr. Seo what happened." Mingyu continued as he turned around and resumed walking down the hall. Wonwoo stood there, unsure of what to say or think. But, he found himself smiling and Mingyu's slight kindness. Looking more into the situation, Wonwoo realized that Mingyu didn't start the conflict, and tried to walk away from it... 

"Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all?" the President thought to himself. His thoughts were interrupted by a rough hit on the back,

"Wow! Class Pres. has detention. Miracles really do exist." Jun said jokingly, and Wonwoo brushed off his arm and went back to the class. 

-------------------------------------

As soon as the end of the day bell rang, the students quickly dispersed and most rushed home. Wonwoo was packing his bag, taking his time purposely. Jun tapped his back, and said he was going home now. Wonwoo just smiled, and nodded. In a matter of a couple of seconds, the Class President now alone in the class. He finished packing his bag, slung it on, and heavily sighed. He then proceeded to make his way to room 214. 

When he got there, he noticed a tall figure sitting in the back of the class, legs outstretched ontop of the desk. He was sleeping, his head limp on his neck. Mingyu was sitting, more like laying, by the window. The sunlight hit his face that was peaceful, and Wonwoo once again recognized his nice facial features. The tall delinquent looked a lot more gentle, and sweet when his cold eyes weren't open and staring people down. Wonwoo quietly made his way to an empty seat that was relatively far away from Mingyu. He set his bag down, and checked to make sure he didn't wake the taller. Then, he pulled out his chair to sit. As soon as he sat down, a low voice said

"I said you didn't have to come.", Mingyu's voice was low and raspy. Wonwoo wondered if he had been napping for a while, considering it sounded like a morning voice. 

"I know, but I'd rather not get in trouble skipping out.", Wonwoo explained not turning around to look at Mingyu, "Plus, I was there and I didn't bother to stop anything... So, I guess I kind of deserve this." he said.

Mingyu scoffed from behind, and said

"The Class President is so righteous." Wonwoo squinted his eyes in slight irritation. He turned around, and finally made eyecontact with the only other person in the room.

"I'm not righteous. And, I'd appreciate it if you didn't label me, or make assumptions about me." Wonwoo said, annoyance in his voice. 

Mingyu started chuckling, and took his legs down from the desk. He got up and walked to the desk beside Wonwoo, and leaned on it, his hands in his pockets. 

"Then. What about me? Am I not labeled something? I highly doubt people call me by my name in class." Mingyu stated.

Wonwoo's mind was then flooded with the countless times he would hear someone say "delinquent" or "rebel" or "lawless" and the whole class and even he, himself would know who they were referring to. Wonwoo suddenly began feeling nervous, and guilty.

"Oh, and assumptions. I know all too well what it's like when people think they understand or know you, when they really don't." Mingyu said, truthfully.

"I'm sure you all think that when I'm not in class, I'm fighting, or stealing, or doing something against the law.", he scoffed. 

"But at this point, I honestly couldn't care less.", the taller said. 

Mingyu was still leaning on the desk beside where Wonwoo was sitting, and Wonwoo awkwardly looked around the room. Eyes focusing on anything but the tall male to his left. After a few minutes of awkward, tense silence, Mr. Seo finally walked in. Wonwoo exhaled in relief, now that he wasn't alone with someone he barely talked to. The two seniors bowed respectfully to their teacher, as he made his way to his desk and sat down. Mingyu took the seat beside Wonwoo, which made Wonwoo nervous for uncertain reasons. Mr. Seo sat their, his eyes going back and forth between the two.

"Wonwoo. I know you're normally a wonderful student.", he began "And, Mingyu. You've been through this more than anyone. When will you learn to stop getting in trouble?", Mr. Seo finished.

Wonwoo expected Mingyu to explain what really happened, and that his wasn't the one at fault. He thought Mingyu was going to tell Mr. Seo that the freshman swung first... But, the taller remained silent in his seat, staring at the ground. Wonwoo looked at Mingyu with his head slightly tilted in confusion, and then he began to speak up. Before Wonwoo could clarify, Mingyu said something first

"Mr. Seo, Wonwoo wasn't a part of our fight. He was trying to stop it, and you just caught us at the wrong time.", the taller said.

His statement caught both Mr. Seo and Wonwoo off guard. Wonwoo looked at the taller with slightly wider eyes, and was wondering why he didn't fully clarify the situation. Mr. Seo cleared his throat and said,

"Wonwoo, it seems I was wrong... however, the freshman told me the whole story, and Mingyu, violence is not the answer. Just because he bumped into you, doesn't mean you should retaliate using your fists."

Wonwoo became upset that the freshman had twisted the story around, and finally spoke

"Aren't you going to ask for Mingyu's side of the story?", his low voice asked politely as he could. "Or even mine, considering I saw and heard the whole thing?"

Mingyu looked at him, and started shaking his head slightly. Mr. Seo looked at Wonwoo, and before he could speak Wonwoo was already too worked up

"Is it because he's known for trouble that you're not goi-"

"Stop." Mingyu interrupted the Pres.

This was followed by a long awkward silence. Suddenly, Mr. Seo's phone rang. He answered it, and it was a quick call with his only responses being "Hello? Okay. Yes. I'll be right there." He then ended the call.

"Sorry, boys. But there's an important staff meeting that I can't miss..." he looked at the clock, and the boys had an hour of detention left.

"Okay, how about this. You two just clean the windows today, and all is said and done. Okay?", Mr. Seo said quickly and made his way out the door. 

The two were left alone. Mingyu was the first to get up, and Wonwoo shortly followed after him. The two went to the custodian's office, and grabbed the supplies they needed, then made their way outside. They didn't exchange words, and simply walked in silence. They got to the front of the school, and began washing the windows. After a couple of minutes of awkward exchanged glances, Mingyu finally spoke

"Why did you get so worked up?" Mingyu asked, and took a brief break from washing the windows. Wonwoo, however, to avoid the taller's gaze continued washing as he replied,

"I- didn't- like- the- way~" Wonwoo said in a broken up sentence as he struggled to reach the top part of the window. Mingyu stepped in, grabbed his sponge, and washed it for him. Wonwoo was startled at the latter's action and was surprised when he realized how close Mingyu's body was to his. The shorter gasped slightly, but not loud enough for Mingyu to notice. After cleaning, Mingyu returned to his respective area and began cleaning again, and looked at Wonwoo to finish his explanation. Mingyu placed the bucket of water on a higher ledge for easier access, and listened to Wonwoo as he said

"I didn't like the way he assumed that the freshmen was right. And he didn't even bother to ask you what happened." Wonwoo was washing wrecklessly, his sponge washing faster as he began to get worked up again.

"Watch out for the bucket," Mingyu warned, but Wonwoo continued to wash vigorously and ended up tipping the bucket over.

Mingyu ran over, and shielded the shorter as the bucket full of soapy water came crashing down. Because of his panic, Mingyu went a little rough and ended up knocking both of them to the ground, the taller's arms on either side of Wonwoo to prevent him from falling on him. The bucket luckily missed Mingyu's head, but all of it's contents poured out unto the taller. Mingyu's uniform was soaked, and so was his hair. His hair became wet and was now falling over his face, unlike the usual slicked up hairstyle he had. By now, the two's faces were centimetres apart, and to be completely honest, Mingyu looked insanely attractive right now, and Wonwoo agreed. The awkward silence was cut off by the soaked boy's rough voice. Mingyu had a slick smirk on his face, and without changing the distance between their faces, said

"Why are you blushing?"