chapter seventeen

Ferly (Something unusual)

 

Chapter 17

 

~3 years ago~

 

She sat there camouflaged at the table with three girls dressed similar to her, the only real difference in her was the look of discomfort that crossed her face every time she believed no one was paying attention to her. Like most girls her age she wore her hair long and styled it the best she could with the little knowledge of hair styling she knew, she wore make up, though not nearly as much as her friends. She was plain, just a plain Jane trying to blend in with the rest of the girls and please everyone by meeting their expectations- it probably sounds pretty depressing but she believed she was happy, not standing out meant she could survive the prison that was middle school.

 

“So I said sure, why not! It was so perfect, I really think he's the one.” Jenny Shane giggled as she cut up her lunch in tiny bite size portions- she was taking a bit to long though for the amount she had, her lunch consisted of a banana and slice of bread that had reduced fat jelly smeared thinly on the top.

 

“Oh my God, I'm so so happy for you Jen!” Tanya Morris gushed as she hugged the other girls tiny shoulders, “what about you Candy cane, how's Peter, gotten any far?” she grinned while raising her eyebrows.

 

“I'm making him wait, wouldn't want him to think I'm easy.” Amber couldn't help smiling at Candy Smith's words- there was no doubt, Candy was a good honest girl who cared deeply about things.

 

“That's no fun, everyone's doing it at our age, are you planning to be the Mary or something?” Jenny scoffed.

 

“please, if I slept with every guy I date like you Jennifer I'd be Pregnant already.” Candy waved the other girls off, though she had her own secrets she wouldn't even her tell her best friend, not even if she were on her death bed, “speaking of Peter, he's got a friend who available, you wanna double tonight Amby?” Candy smiled towards Amber who froze under her gaze.

 

“Er, well... I don't think he'd like someone like me...” Amber said meekly- she didn't talk to boys very often, her parents frowned upon her dating at this age and she'd been raised very conservatively.

 

“please Amby, you know my mom would never let me go out with Peter alone, with you there she'd never give it a second thought.” Candy didn't notice the other girls looking over in annoyance, both had boyfriends yet Candy never asked them to double up- it was Amby this, or Amby that! They'd all been friends since forever yet there always seemed to be a wall inbetween them. What was so great about Amber anyways? She wasn't pretty, the only thing that made her remotely attractive was the makeup they'd shown her how to put on, other wise she'd just be a flat ugly little girl who pretended to be their friend

 

“Well...”

 

“please Amby, I really need my best friend along.” She'd just recently started dating a sophomore, he was cute and manly and had all the makings of the perfect guy... that was kinda intimidating though, especially since she was entering new territory.

 

“well...” She couldn't say no to those eyes, Candy needed her, “fine, I'll tell my mom I'm sleeping over...” She was really doing this, she going on a date with a high school boy who probably shaved and watched more often then cartoons...

 

-

 

“He's a starter on the basketball team and all the girls in his class want to date him, I think you're going to love him Amby.” Candy said blissfully as she walked slightly ahead. She had on a pair of skinnies and a long loose tank top that was green to match her eyes and made her long brown hair look darker then it normally did. Amber slightly envied how pretty her friend was, she had actual curves, her eyes were unique and her hair looked so full and bouncy- Amber on the other hand had thin hair, completely no curves to her stick like body and her eyes were the generic brown every asian on earth had.

 

“He won't, like, try to kiss me will he?” Amber said nervously- her first kiss, by a boy a boy named Ricky Romero back in the third grade probably shouldn't count, they'd barley touched lips and both were to immature to enjoy it.

 

Candy laughed, “trust me, when you meet him you'll want him to kiss you.” Candy giggled pulled Amber into McDonalds and let out a high pitched squeal when Peter and a boy Amber guessed was her date waved them over, “Isn't he cute?”

 

He was, the mystery boy was tall with dark hair and blue eyes, something Amber couldn't help admitting was attractive to her. He had a long face, high cheek bones and such a piercing look about him that Amber had to look away to keep her self from blushing.

 

“Hey babe, how was school.” Peter smirked his normal smirk, Amber had never liked him though, she couldn't quite put her finger on the reason why- he'd never done anything mean that she'd been aware of and always treated people well... he just had one of those looks, like he could see right through your clothes.

 

“so boring, I swear I was going to go insane by fourth period.” Candy drawled and smiled up at him as he gathered her up in his arms and kissed her. Amber shuffled awkwardly from one foot to the other as she tried to not look at the couple kiss while also trying not to look into the other boys eyes as well, “hmm, Amber this is Chris.” Candy said after she'd remembered she had Amber with her.

 

“Hey.” Chris said, seemingly not interested at all- he'd hoped his friend would have gotten him someone that didn't still wear a training bra, this girl looked to childish to do anything to.

 

“um, hey.” Amber sighed eternally, he wasn't interested...

 

the four of them sat down, Amber and Chris on one side and Peter and Candy on the other. They talked about simple things like school and sports, how Peter was getting his learner permit soon and how Chris won MVP for the second year in a row. Everything was pretty boring and Amber wondered why she'd been so nervous earlier, this dating business was nothing to be afraid of.

 

“I'm going to go touch up my make up, you'll be fine with out me right? Meet you guys out side.” Amber would probably have gone with if she was wearing enough make up to need touching up or if she had to pee but seeing as she didn't have to do either she just smiled up at Candy who stood and untangled her self from Peter's arms and made her way towards the bathroom.

 

“...I think I'm heading out man, gotta loud of homework tonight.” Chris mumbled, not wanting to stay in his seat any longer and now that the enforcer was away he could finally make his escape.

 

“Really? Homework?” Peter laughed, not believing for a second that his friend would waist his time on something like homework, “See you later then.”

 

“Yeah, whatever.” Chris walked away, leaving Amber alone with Peter who didn't seem to mind the change at all. He just sat there, smiling at her and making her feel as though her sweatshirt she'd chosen to wear wasn't nearly large enough to hide her from his gaze.

 

“So you and Candy cane been friends for long?” he asked even though he knew the answer- Candy tended to babel.

 

“Since we were five.” what was with this guy, why couldn't he at least look away for a second, She wondered as they got up and headed out to the side of the McDonalds and stood there awkwardly. She didn't like the way he was leaning so close to her, the way he seemed to be staring her down.

 

“long time, you guys must be pretty close then.” He didn't know why Chris hadn't seen what he saw- Amber was adorable, so very adorable and vulnerable- he'd gotten together with Candy because he'd thought she was vulnerable but he'd found out early on that his little girlfriend was anything but... it bored him. He liked a challenge, the idea of being the first was addictive and pretty hot to him.

 

“we're close...”

 

“that's good~ you look a little tense, relax, I'm not going to you or anything.” like he'd need to, there was no girl out there that wouldn't want him to ravish them... at least, he told him self that.

 

“Just... just not used to talking to boys, my parents go pretty agro over the dating topic... and really just boys in general...” not to mention he still hadn't looked away from her, whats a girl gotta do to get him to look away?

 

“ah, they're hoping you turn into a nun then?” Peter laughed at his own joke and Amber gave a tiny awkward chuckle.

 

“um, most likely...”

 

All of the sudden he leaned closer, close enough so she could smell the mint from his toothpaste and a small hint of cigarette smoke on his breath, “have you ever thought of letting all those fears go away Amy?”

 

“It's Amber...”

 

“hmm.” He raised an eyebrow and said nothing else, instead he leaned in and pressed his mouth to hers. At first She didn't believe that this was happening- Her best friend's boyfriend was kissing her, pressing his hands further down her back and pushing her against McDonalds like some easy .

 

“A-Amber?”

 

.

 

She pushed him away but it was to late, Candy bolted and she was left standing there with that sleaze bag who was stupid enough to ask, “so you wanna go make out in my car?” Amber turned away from him and ran as quickly as she could, hoping to catch Candy but lost sight of her and couldn't find her in her usual places. She didn't see Candy until the next day at school standing with Tanya and Jennifer next to her locker.

 

At first she believed that Candy might have enough sense to believe that she hadn't been the one to initiate the kiss, but when she went up to them and let out a, “Hey Candy, about yesterday...”

 

“Why're you even talking to her, I can't believe you'd even have the nerve to come to school today.” Jennifer scoffed.

 

“I-”

 

“Now Jenny, she has a right to an education just like you and me.” Candy stepped away from Tanya and Jennifer and stared Amber down, pure ice was in her gaze, “I'd thought you were different Amber, I mean you'd think you could trust someone you've been friends with for ten years... but this... it's sad really, you can't get a boyfriend by your self so you go after mine-”

 

“Candy, it's not like that-”

 

“I don't blame you, I mean Peter pretty hot, hot and completely off limits.” And it finally hit Amber, Candy, even after what she saw, was still going out with that prick, she was choosing him over her- She chose a two week romance over a ten year friendship.

 

“Candy you're my best friend, I'd never do something like that-”

 

“I was just so stupid, I mean Jenny and Tanny have been telling me about you for so long but I ignore them... now, now I see they were right, you're just another ugly girl willing to sleep with anyone's boyfriend... you're an ugly Amber, no matter how much makeup you wear you'll never be pretty.”

 

She heard the whisperes, felt the eyes of her classmates burning holes in her back and lastly she could see the hatred in Candy's eyes and the snide looks from Tanya and Jenny... her friends, the people she'd thought would always be there for her were turning their backs on her. She couldn't stay there anymore, couldn't get the words out of . She turned and ran, hitting the wall of students full on and nearly loosing her balance but some how was able to get through and far away from their accusing eyes before she broke down.

 

~

 

He found her sitting on the wall outside of school. He'd remembered seeing her with her friends all the time but lately she sat alone in no mans land during lunch. She made him curious, why'd someone like that associate with people like that?

 

“Whatcha looking at Kev?” Eli mumbled then bit into his sandwich.

 

“That girl over there, a fellow loner.” Kevin Smiled as he waved towards the tiny little girl who kept her gaze on a book instead of her lunch that sat untouched next to her.

 

“You want me to talk to her for you, I mean if you're to shy.” Eli chuckled and peeked over at the girl as well, “That's that girl all the guys are talking about, the one that goes after high school boys, they say she's pretty easy.” he said boredly, remembering the locker room chats his fellow classmates had.

 

“She goes to my church, she's really shy... I don't think she's who everyone says she is.” Kevin comment, smiling his gentle smile and standing, “I'm gonna talk to her, she looks lonely.”

 

“Good luck.”

 

“I don't believe in Luck Eel.” Kevin smiled, “This is fate, I know it.” he started walking over but before he could reach the girl three other girls, girls Kevin recognized as he friends, walked up to her swaying their hips and grinning towards Amber who tried not to look even when she knew they were there, “Peter took me to this really expensive place last night, it was so romantic!”

 

“You give him your cherry yet Candy, better act fast or someone might decide to try to steal him again.”

 

Kevin could see the twitch in Amber's blank face and knew he had to do something, “Hey Jennifer,” a three girls looked over, “We have Math together, sit together even.” Kevin chuckled the dramatically pulled Jenny's hand to his lips, “I've always had a crush on you Jen, won't you even consider going for a loser like me.”

 

“Ew, don't touch me.” Jenny squealed and jumped away from him.

 

“I can't help it, you're just so y and irresistible that I must have you right this-”

 

“Get away from me you freak, I'm totally getting a restraining order!” Jenny yelled as she pulled her friend along with her as far away from Kevin as she could.

 

When they were gone Kevin let out a little chuckle then turned towards Amber only to find her gone, “bolted the second you got their attention away from her.” Eli stated as he placed a hand on Kevin's shoulder.

 

“She could of at least said thanks.” Kevin pouted for a moment then smiled, “She'll come around, I just know it.”

 

every day after that Kevin would make it a habit to talk to Amber. At first she was hesitant but as the days wore one Amber found her self liking the attention she got from Kevin and soon Eli as well. She began to go to their houses on many occasions and soon even began looking and acting as one of them...

 

~a few months ago~

 

“It's beautiful.” Amber commented as she lounged on her back with Eli on his bed watching a car show on tv, “You're so lucky to get to play with cars, Mom and dad won't even let me have one until I reach eighteen.”

 

“It's not playing, They're my job... and I don't really get to play with cars like that.” Eli chuckled as he leaned against his bed post, flipping through a play boy that he only half payed attention- no, most of his attention was on the way Amber layed on his bed, sprawled out in a way that only a girl who trusted you would do. Back in the day she was as flat as a board but as he looked at her now with her belly button playing peek-a-boo from the raised up sweatshirt he could see the small whisper of curves. He tried to think of when he'd first became her friend, she'd just been a girl then, a girl he wasn't interested in because Kevin adopted her and the people Kevin adopted were off limits...

 

“I heard my parents talking the other night, they think I'm a lesbian.” He could tell she was hurt even though she laughed it off, she always did that when it came to things that upset her.

 

“well just tell em you spend the night at mine and Kevin's all the time, that'll change their minds.” he tried to turn his attention back to the women in his magazine but could help staring at her chest that rose up and down as she breathed.

 

“nah, then they'll just start saying I'm a or something.” Amber bit her lip. From upside down the cars on the screen looked abnormal, like a living creature or something.

 

“hmmm, sounds like a lose lose situation.” giving up on the magazine all together he crawled next to her and wrapped an arm around her waist, “Mom wouldn't mind you moving in, she adores you.” he mumbled into her ear and tried to keep him self from kissing her.

 

“I do love your mom.”

 

He wished she'd really agree to it, “Your family trip to Korea is coming up- bring me back a gift.” Eli mumbled, not knowing that that would be the last time he'd get to see her for the next few months.

 

“uh huh, I'll bring you back a puppy.” Amber said tiredly and smiled as she wrapped her arms around Eli and buried her face in the crook of his neck. He smelled like oil and tires, something she couldn't help enjoying no matter how strange it was to everyone else... the smell of oil and tires had become a comfort smell, just like Vanilla which was what Kevin smell like (because it was his mother and sister's favorite scent, he always complained about it even when Amber love it) she just needed to hug both her friends then all of her worries would disappear... they were her boys, her best friends, her soul mates.

 

 

(AN- I sorta feel as thought I keep teasing you guys with all of these couples, I mean I can't help wondering what you guys must be thinking... to tell you the truth I've kind of fallen inlove with the Eelber pair, I wish it were real~

 

Oh, and Junsu's making his drawn out debut into the story real sooon~ can't wait to start writing him in^^)