8)

Best Friends(?)

I walked over to the café, surprising the couple who ran it. “Morning, Maru. Why are you here so early?” the lady asked. “I woke up early and couldn’t go back to sleep,” I answered, helping her set up the place. I even started baking some red velvet cupcakes, a special recipe Sehun taught me.

                Minho came in with Taemin, another worker, and smiled when he sniffed the air. “Mmm, what’s that smell?” he asked, breezing over to the counter. I came out with a fresh tray of perfectly made, iced, and cooled red velvet cupcakes. “My specialty red velvet cupcakes topped with buttercream icing and with a dash of cinnamon and a drop of vanilla,” I answered, eye smiling. “Try one!” They each picked up a cupcake and took a big bite, smiling immediately afterwards. “Man, these are good!” Taemin said, happily taking another bite.

                Sehun screeched to a stop outside the café, hurriedly taking off his helmet and running inside. “Morning, Sehun-ah,” the owners called to him. He bowed back and came towards the counter. “Maru,” he breathed heavily. “Yes, Sehun? Do you want a cupcake?” I asked, still stung about his reaction to me finding out his secret.

                “Wha--no, I don’t want a cupcake!” Sehun exclaimed, slamming his hands down on the counter. “Whoa, man, calm down,” Minho said, placing a hand on his shoulder. Sehun calmed himself down and said, “Sorry, hyung.” He went into the kitchen without another word.

                When shop opened up, the first few customers got one of my cupcakes for free. I was just feeling nice today. Most of the customers at opening time were middle-class business workers, so I gave them each a cupcake, knowing how tired they were all the time. I was given a lot of smiles that day.

                On Sundays, the café closed at 5, with no club hours to give everyone a break. So at 5, we closed up shop and the owners brought out a big Neapolitan cake. It was kind of like tradition, to celebrate making it through the week. I immediately dove for the strawberry portion, which was pink vanilla-strawberry flavored cake with little bits of strawberry mixed in. Everyone else wanted the vanilla and chocolate, so I had no competition.

                Except for Sehun, of course. But when he saw me move for the strawberry, he cut a big piece and handed it to me with a small smile. I smiled back and almost smushed my face into the cake trying to eat. Sehun laughed at me and ate his own piece.

                We waved goodbye to everyone and hopped on the back of Sehun’s motorcycle to head home. I didn’t hesitate to wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head against his back like I always did.

                When we got home, I happily took Sehun’s hand and dragged him inside, a bag of cupcakes in my other hand. “Come on, Sehunnie, I want to eat some cupcakes!” I said excitedly. Sehun just smiled and went along with me.

                When we got inside the apartment, I pulled him down onto the couch and pulled out two cupcakes. I handed one to Sehun and started munching on my own.

                When I was done, I was about to reach for a napkin, but Sehun leaned forward and kissed the corner of my lips. “You had a crumb there,” he said.

                I was frozen. All my feelings were coming back. I stopped eating and tried to calm my nerves. Sehun noticed my sudden mood changed and asked if I was alright. I swallowed nervously. “Sehunnie, did you mean it…when…you said…you love me?” I asked, playing with my fingers.

                Sehun sighed and crawled towards me. He cupped my face in his hands and tilted my head up, making me look at him. “I did,” he said finally. “I’m in love with you, Ahn Maru, and I have been for the past six years.” My eyes widened. SIX YEARS!? That meant before we were even living together.

                Sehun chuckled seeing my reaction. “Yes, Maru baby, six years I’ve been in love with you, but you never noticed, and I never had the courage to tell you. I should have told you, but I didn’t want to jeopardize our friendship. You had only looked at me like a brother or a friend. What would I do if you didn’t feel the same way? We’d have to separate, Maru baby, and I would die if that happened. I decided to be a touchy best friend who gave you kisses all the time. I would rather have that than have you leave me,” he said, tears gathering in his eyes.

                I was stunned. Sehun had never cried before in our entire lives, not even when our parents had died. He had been trying to be strong for both of us, for me.

                I reached up and held his face as well. “Sehun, I’d never leave you,” I said, trying not to burst into tears. “And who ever said I didn’t feel the same way?” Sehun’s eyes widened largely. “You haven’t noticed how shy I’ve been around you when we had to get dressed? How I felt so uncomfortable with you staring at me recently? You’ve wormed your way into my heart, Sehun, in more ways than one. I’m sorry it’s taken me so much time and a conversation with Lay for me to realize it, but…I’m in love with you, too.” 

A/N: FINALLY! It happened! They confessed to each other! And Maru finally told Sehun how she feels about him. Love makes me so happy guys :) Thank you to AnaLuisaGMMG for subscribing to my story!