17)

Best Friends(?)

My classes went by like a breeze, because I was too busy thinking about dance team tryouts. After classes, I headed straight to the gym locker rooms, quickly getting dressed in my change of clothes and slipping on my sneakers.

 

                       I was definitely ready. I had seen what most of the girls were doing, and it was mainly them just trying to gain a popularity boost by flaunting their bodies. I already had my own routine. I had decided to do a part form Step Up 2, during the final battle when only the girls danced, taking Andy’s part.

                       After almost vomiting over and over again at the outfits and the dancing from the girls, my name was called. I went up to the open area in the middle of the gym, took a deep breath, and began dancing as the music started. The executive board of the team looked surprised once they heard my choice of music, and their eyes widened when I actually danced instead of ‘selling ’ like the other girls. When I finished, I stood up and bowed, eye smiling.

                       When tryouts were over, the captain came and pulled me aside. “Ne, sunbae-nim?” I asked. “I’m impressed by your skills,” he said. The captain, Seungri, was a tall, lanky guy who had lots of muscles. He was also on the basketball team and the track team, so he was respected throughout university. “Excuse me?” I asked in disbelief. “You got skills,” he repeated. “Every year when we have tryouts, I dread the girl auditions, because, as you can see, there’s pretty much no real dancing going on. That’s why there are so few girls on my team. But you, you have what it takes. More than some of my executive members. I’m about to tell you something I’ve never told a female first-timer before. You’re on the varsity squad, no questions asked.” My eyes bugged out. “Seriously!?” I asked. Seungri smiled and nodded. “I’m serious,” he said. “The varsity team consists of myself, Taeyang, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Shindong, Henry, Key, Taemin, Minzy, CL, Jia, Min, Hyoyeon, Yuri, and Yoona. J-Hope, Jimin, Jungkook, V, Kai, Lay, Luhan, and Tao were added yesterday. But today, you and Oh Sehun are our last additions to the varsity team. Some others will be placed in junior varsity, but that’s it. Congratulations, Maru.” He shook my hand and left.

                       I was on cloud nine. The first practice as a team was right after tryouts, so I headed after Seungri. When I caught up to him, he slipped an arm around my shoulders. “Well, let’s introduce you to the crew,” he said. “By the way, I liked your audition piece. The Step Ups are my personal favorites.” I grinned. “I know how you feel. I REALLY want to see the third one when it comes out,” I said. “We’ll go together,” he said, “I was thinking of making it a team thing.”

                       We approached the rest of the team. The SNSD girls shot me some dirty looks, but Minzy and CL immediately headed over with Jia and Min. “We’ll take it from here, Seungri,” CL said. Seungri raised an eyebrow at me. “Blackjack, huh?” he asked, and I nodded. “Nice,” he said, grinning, “I like it. I’ll see you later.”

                       Minzy slung an arm around my shoulder. “Seungri and his gang, Big Bang, are basically our male counterparts, and our best friends. They taught us everything we know. Seungri’s the maknae. And I think he’s taken a liking to you,” she said, winking at me. I rolled my eyes and held her hand than was hanging over my shoulder. “Doesn’t matter if he’s interested; I have a boyfriend,” I replied, knocking her hip with mine and slinging my free arm around her waist.

                       “By the way, Maru, this is Jia and Min from Miss A,” CL said, “They’re basically the only other female gang we like.” I shook hands with both of them. “It’s nice to meet you,” Min said, smiling cutely. Jia said, “It’s not every day a girl gets added onto the team. You must be really good. Personally, I specialize in popping, and I’m flexible. If you need anything, just ask me or Min.” “Thank you so much,” I said, smiling. Jia smiled back. “No problem.”

                       “So,” Seungri said loudly, clapping his hands together, “Today’s our first practice as a team, and we have a lot of fresh meat. However, none of you, new or old, would be here if I knew you didn’t have the skills. But you do. You are all extraordinary dancers, and I’m proud to call myself captain of this team. But, we have the school opening showcase in a few weeks. Hyoyeon, Kai, Lay, I want you three to do that routine you showed me yesterday. Jimin, J-Hope, and Jungkook, you guys are going to do yours, too. As captain and vice, Taeyang and I are going to do Ringa Linga. Jia, I need you to do your Jabbawockee routine with Maru. Key, Taemin, do your Do It routine. V, Henry, Luhan, Tao, Shindong, and Min, Maxstep it up. Donghae and Eunhyuk, I want you to do I Wanna Dance. Yuri and Yoona, do your flexibility stuff. Sehun, you and Kai are going to do Run and Gun. And lastly, Minzy, CL, come up with some street stuff that will blow our minds, and add Maru in. You know what, all girls aside from Hyoyeon, Yuri, and Yoona, Run the World. I love me some Beyoncé. And that’s the lineup. Gwangju is famous for us, ladies and gents. All the best dancers come from here. Let’s make ‘em scream.” We cheered and broke apart for our acts. 

 

A/N: I usually put some type of dancing reference in here, because i am a dancer myself, and these are all people i'd LOVE to dance with. Miss A will be very close friends to Maru and 2NE1, and look ahead for some trash talk and conflict with SNSD (who i don't hate by the way, they just make really good antagonists because they're very popular, like Mean Girls, you know?) Thanks for reading, and comments are always appreciated! :D