7)

Best Friends(?)

That was the first night I had not slept in Sehun’s arms. Consequently, I had a nightmare.

                People were all around me, touching me everywhere. I caught glimpses of faces, but they were always EXO members. Sehun and Chanyeol were nowhere to be seen. Hands were all over me, touching me in places not even Sehun had touched. Kris’s face was suddenly in front of mine, and I screamed Sehun’s name in fear.

                I woke up at 5 am, sweating like mad. I looked over at Sehun to see him still asleep. Our alarm went off at 6:30 am, because the café opens up at 7 am. I decided to get up, because there was no way I was going to sleep after that.

                I got up and did my morning routine as quietly as possible. When I was fully dressed and ready to go, it was only 5:20. I sighed and decided to go for a walk.

                I walked over to the park we always passed on our way to work. I entered the park and sat down on a bench next to the small pond full of colorful koi fish. While I was mesmerized by the fish, someone sat down next to me.

                “Penny for your thoughts?” I turned to face whoever sat next to me, only to see Lay with a cigarette between his lips. “What are you doing here?” I asked, ready to make a run for it. Lay noticed my tense posture and smiled at me. “You don’t have to be scared, Maru. Not all of us are like Kris,” he said, patting the bench next to him. I relaxed slightly. “Yeah, I kind of figured that when I met Chanyeol,” I answered. “So, mind telling me who I should run away from if they approach me?

                Lay put on a thoughtful expression and said, “Kris, Chen, Kai, and Tao. They’re all alike, except Kris is just obsessed with you. The other three, however, have been looking at you more often nowadays. If you ever see any of them, or all of us together in a group, for that matter, I’d stay in mine and Chanyeol’s sight of vision, especially if Sehun’s not with us.”

                The mention of Sehun brought my sad mood back. Lay took notice immediately. “Why the glum face? You and lover boy had a fight?” he asked. “WHY does everyone keep talking as if we’re a couple!?” I exclaimed. Lay laughed and said, “Dear, you’re more innocent than we thought, especially after seeing you dance. Can’t you see it? The boy cares about you.” “Not in that way,” I mumbled. “He said he’s in love with someone else.”

                Lay blew out a puff of smoke and said thoughtfully, “Dear, did he say he’s in love with someone, or that he’s in love with someone ELSE?” “Why does it matter?” I asked. “Wording is always important, darling,” Lay replied. “So which is it?” “He said he’s in love with someone,” I answered. Lay smiled. “Well, darling, there’s your answer,” he said, taking another drag. Seeing my confused look, Lay asked, “Do you ever wonder why he kisses you so much? Or why he’s so touchy? Sweetheart, the boy’s in love with YOU.”

                Time stopped for me. “Yeah, right, quit joking around,” I said, pushing his shoulder. Lay looked at me incredulously. “Seriously? What’s so bad about him being in love with you?” Lay asked. I sighed and answered, “I don’t know. We’ve been together as best friends for years. What if I don’t reciprocate his feelings?”

                Lay thought for a moment and asked, “How do you not know? I’ve seen the way you two look at each other, darling. And I’m positive you’ve seen him shirtless. Has that not been affecting you lately?” I blushed remembering our moment before dinner last night. Lay saw my blush and smiled. “And I’m pretty sure you’ve been enjoying the kisses he gives you.” I blushed even more. “And I’m 100% sure you’ve been wondering what it’s like to kiss his lips.” I hid my face in my hands, trying to hide the enormous dark red blush on my cheeks. Lay grinned and leaned back. “See, dear? You do love him,” he said. “And you might want to tell him before the poor boy kills himself.”

                Suddenly my cell phone rang. I pulled it out to see Sehun’s name on the caller ID. Before I could answer, Lay took the phone from me and did it for me. “Sup, Sehun,” he said into the phone. “WHERE’S MARU!?” Sehun yelled. It was so loud I heard it. Lay rubbed his ear and put it on speaker. “No clue. I just found this phone here when I went for a walk. Why, what’s up?”

                I looked at Lay with a shocked expression. He winked at me and held a finger to his lips. “HYUNG YOU KNOW WHY I’M FREAKING OUT! I CAN’T LET THE GIRL I LOVE WANDER AROUND THE STREETS WITH DIRTBAGS LIKE YOU! No offense,” Sehun screamed. Lay grimaced but then turned to me. “Hear everything you wanted to hear, Maru?” I nodded slowly.

                Sehun froze on the other end. Maru? Oh . “Hyung, please tell me you’re joking,” Sehun pleaded. “Sorry, Sehunnie, but the girl you love has been with me this entire time, meaning she also heard your little love declaration just now,” Lay replied.

                I reached for the phone, ready to ask Sehun if he meant what he said, but he had hung up. Lay looked at me apologetically. “Sorry, darling. He’s just embarrassed. Knowing Sehun, he would have wanted to make it special.” I sighed in response and checked the time. An hour had passed, and it was 6:25.

                “Well, I need to get going,” I said, standing up. “I can’t be late for work. Thanks for talking to me, Lay.” Lay shrugged and stood up as well, keeping the cigarette between his lips. “No problem, darling. A few of us have known about Sehun’s crush on you for a while. Specifically, me, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Luhan. Suho, too, but that’s obvious. He’s a good kid, Maru, and I’m sure you know that better than anyone. Don’t break his heart.” With that, Lay walked away.

A/N: First Chanyeol, and now Lay? Which EXO members can Maru trust, and which ones should she stay away from? Yes, i made Lay a bit of a pothead, but i just HAD to when i saw all the jokes about him being high all the time. How's it so far? PLease put your thoughts in the comments below :)