Fast forwarded

The Next Door Kid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungcheol’s Point Of View:

 

    I walked down the small alley where I spent my last high school days. Everything ran through my mind, every little memory. I smiled and realized how fast 4 years passed by. I squeezed the hand I’m holding, the hand that I held for 4 years. Tomorrow is finally the last class of the semester, after tomorrow, I am a college senior. I blinked and recalled my freshman year like it was yesterday, the very first day of it.

 

    “What are you thinking about?” Areum turned to me as I started to swing our hands back and forth.

 

    “Nothing, just our high school days.” I smiled.

 

    My parents moved back to Daegu, decided that it’s best for them, and for me. Of course, Areum practically live in my room now that I decided I need a bigger bed, because I can’t keep on sleeping on the bed I got when I was 13, and for her too. Well, she also wanted her parents to have the house to themselves. We stopped our footsteps at the mailbox outside our house and she broke her hand away from mine to reach the box.

 

    “We got a mail- there’s two..” She picked up the cream colored envelope, “From Hong Jisoo… From Kang Aeyoung….? Wait what the”

 

    “Hold up let me see that, what is this?” I snatched one of the envelopes out of her hand in curiosity.

 

    “We would like to..” Areum began to read out.

 

    “To the  wedding of..” I finished it.

 

    “WHAT?” ...And we shrieked.

 

    “How is that possible????????” I turned around, speechless.

 

    We threw ourselves down the couch, bewildered at the unexpected invitation. Aeyoung and Jisoo were the slowest couple out of all of us, yet the first to get married, during college for that matter. I picked up my phone and called Jisoo and I was immediately sent to a conference call with 14 other human beings trying to talk at the same time.

 

    “Wait wait wait hold up.” A voice that sounded like Jeonghan screamed and we all went silent, “DOES THIS MEAN AEYOUNG IS PREGNANT?”

 

    “No! HECK NO! I’m a child of god!” Jisoo freaked out.

 

    “Then why are you two heading down the aisle now ya’ll are like 21 oh my lord.” Wonwoo flooded the conversation.

 

    “Well, I realized I wanted to marry her--” Jisoo redeemed himself.

 

    “Alright alright, then who’s gonna be the best man, there’s 12 of us.” I barged it.

 

    “All of you.” Jisoo said and ended the call leaving all of us hanging.

 

    I put down the phone and picked up the invitation on the coffee table. The wedding is next month. I smiled, “What a lucky son of a dog.”

 

    “Lucky?” Areum sat down next to me and sipped on her glass of milk.

 

    “He must be really happy.” I clasped my hands together, asking myself when I’ll be married.  

 

    I have no second thoughts about wanting to marry Areum. College went by faster than anything and soon we’ll be 22. Too early for us to head down the aisle, but we both know better than anyone else that we’re serious about one another. From being best of friends to being the couple that we are now, I know the time is going to come, and I won’t rush it. For as long as I can remember, I have been saved up as much money as possible since I was 18 years old, just to marry her.

 

    “So I’m guessing they won’t be going on the annual road trip in August then.” Areum smiled.

 

    “Well, I guess, since they’ll go on their honeymoon.” I nodded.

 

    ______________________________________________________________________________

 

    3AM and there’s no way I’m sleeping, at all. I wandered down the stairs as Areum is sound asleep and found myself on the couch again. Jisoo and Aeyoubg’s marriage kept me up, I am truly happy for them, but it also had me thinking. Is that how he ensured that she will be his? So that he can ensure himself that no one else can take her away? Somehow my thoughts drifted to Jinwoo. I remember the day he encountered Areum, and the day I encountered him. Things changed way too much ever since, and the fact that Jinwoo and I are close now sometimes still scares me. Jinwoo is graduating and I know that, but from time to time I still think that to him, Areum is more than a friend.

 

    “I should...propose to her..” I mumbled under my breath.

 

    I thought and immediately thought of a plan. At least once in life, I want to make her feel special, not like me lowkey asking her out while we were cuddling 3 years ago. I headed back to bed, trying to get some sleep for my finals tomorrow with a mindset of preparing for this proposal.

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

    The day of Jisoo’s wedding finally came by. The whole day before the wedding was crazy. As I expected, the whole group would be the ones who help Jisoo setting up the wedding itself. Actually, correction, the girls were out getting their hair and nails done and Areum will doing bridal makeup. I drove by to pick up my outfit with the boys in the back jamming to some songs. We drove Jisoo out to eat, the night is coming down and Jisoo literally cannot contain his facial expression.

 

    “Chill bro.” Mingyu placed his hand on Jisoo’s shoulder and shook him.

 

    “Hey how can he, after tomorrow, he has a wife.” Jihoon emphasized.

 

    “Speaking of which, Seungcheol, how’s your relationship?” Jisoo turned to me.

 

    “Normal.” I replied.

 

“The hell do you mean normal? You guys have been together for almost 5 years you know.” Jihoon furrowed his brows.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I said.

 

“He meant when are you guys gonna get married.” Wonwoo clarified.

 

“I don’t know… I thought about it but aren’t we too young for it?” I thought out loud.

 

“Getting married early is actually quite common, plus, if you guys love each other, there’s nothing to worry about.” Jihoon said, surprised everyone.

 

“I thought of how to propose already, you all remember Jinwoo?”

 

“Yeah, what about him?” They replied to me.

 

I sighed and continued, “Even though I befriended him, it’s pretty clear that he has feelings for Areum, and because he is a friend, I’m scared I might hurt him.”

 

“There’s nothing to be scared of, especially when he knows you guys have been to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter