Monday night

The Next Door Kid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “GET UP YOU PIG.” Bora slap Areum’s face with a pillow,”WE HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL.”

 

    “GEEZ I’M UP.” Areum sat up with a grumpy face, it’s the Monday after her birthday and she sure as heck wanna stay home but just one more week before winter break and she got no choice but drag her to school.

 

    “You’re a mess get up and shower” Aeyoung nagged,”Who the heck giggles and laugh in their sleep like you.” She added the detail.

 

    “And I wanna know what the heck happened that night after you left the party” Bora nodded while turning herself into a monkey trying to coat her lashes with 105 coats of mascara.

 

    “Well, I would’ve told you what happened Sunday if you didn’t get home at 2am and woke up with a major hangover, not to mention that we’re still not legal to drink.” Areum glared at the girl who’s still doing her mascara.

 

    The girls headed to school with Seungcheol after a loud and hectic morning as always. There’s nothing changed between Areum and Seungcheol except that they got a little closer and a little more touchy touchy. Even though she’s sure of her feelings towards, taking Aeyoung’s advice, she has to choose a decision that won’t hurt any of them, at least not for the time being.

 

    The day went by slowly. Areum looked at the clock every 3 minutes waiting for the bell to ring. She sighed at the fact that the free period got taken away by her homeroom teacher who’s lecturing all of them about college. The entire class, only Seungcheol and her applied to Seoul National, completely by accident, the rest went with Hanyang, which is less challenging and safer. Areum applied to Dongguk as a backup. Areum has been anxious with the results regarding college, the school that they get into would be announced right after Winter break and her mentality is totally not prepared for this.

 

    “Zoning out like that will get you home at 9 o’clock at night.”

 

    Areum startled and snapped back to her senses as the blond Seungcheol wearing a Harry Potter rim glasses kneel in front of her desk and looking up at the the girl that’s resting her chin on her palm. She chuckled and pick up the backpack on the side of her chair after realizing that the bell rang million years ago and the twin already abandoned the two for the afternoon snacks.

 

    “Let’s go.” Areum smiled and pushed in her chair, following Seungcheol outside of class.

 

    Areum shivered and put on her sweater. It’s already the end of November, and the cold weather is not appreciated. She fixed the beanie on her head, and quietly walk alongside the boy out of the school. At this point, the gossips in school didn’t matter to her, she’ll be graduating in months anyways, the fact that Seungcheol is popular among the females in school, it never affected Areum or Seungcheol.

 

Areum hid half of her face behind her scafl, trusting on the ear muffs to prevent her from getting frost bites. The winter has begun, a little breeze pierced through her reminding Areum how much she hated the winter. She constantly clasp her hands together after the reality slapped her that she forgot her gloves at home at this freezing cold weather. Seungcheol and her barely opened the mouth on the way back home, it was way too cold to even talk. He glanced at the girl who’s hands are bare and was much smart to wear a jacket without pockets. He took off his gloves and hand it to her.

 

She looked at him and blinked,”Aren’t you cold?”

 

“I have pockets, you’re smart enough to wear a no pocket jackets and not wearing gloves.” Seungcheol responded and she hesitatingly putting on his gloves.

 

“But still...pockets are not that warm either..” She mumbled.

 

“How about this.” Seungcheol gently grab her hand and held tight on it then shoving it in his jacket pocket. Areum didn’t protest, and she clearly know the reason why she didn’t. It was the second time their fingers laced with each other. Areum was counting.

 

Little caring and protecting actions that Seungcheol does, it made her waver more and more each day. Though she chose to stay friends with him so she won’t hurt anyone, it wouldn’t hurt her secretly liking Seungcheol. She chose to stay as friends and have a thing without anyone knowing rather than hurting someone while dating each other openly. She was lost in her thoughts again as they enter an empty alley, a shortcut to their houses. Her twist was tugged and she turned around, Seungcheol stopped, his eyes, as if they could talk, told her that he’s confused.

 

“…Do you like me? Or are you just doing this so I won’t be hurt.” Seungcheol asked, he was unsure of her feelings, at the same time he didn’t want to hurt himself if her feelings aren’t real.

“I like you, Seungcheol.” Areum gave him a genuine smile,”And I like us like this.”She swings her arm which is connected to his by two intertwined hands,”But I hope you understand that I need to make a decision that won’t hurt any of us.”

 

“Remember I said whatever you choose, I’ll be here? I meant it when I say that.” Seungcheol smiled at her response, he was okay with the fact that they won’t be dating, because at least he knew her sincere feelings.

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

“Okay I need all the dirt the sand the dust the cavities the I mean germs that happened on Saturday evening.” Bora closed her book and sat down on Areum’s bed right in front of her.

 

“So uhh we kissed.” Areum replied short but enough to flip Bora up to Jesus.

 

“WHAT.” Bora screamed and it started Seungcheol, who’s on the other side of the wall.

 

“He took me home, I felt bad that he was hurt during my birthday so I cried, and he probably felt bad that he ruined my birthday, which he didn’t, he gave me a present and it just happened that he kissed me” She gave Bora a simple explanation.

 

“So?? Did you kiss him back or you just pushed him away or you just blankly stare at him or did you--”

 

“Yes I kissed him back.” Areum said s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter