College? College.

The Next Door Kid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tossing herself around bed, Areum couldn’t even sleep a wink. The same routine of going on her phone, then roll from the left side to the right side happened approximately a hundred throughout the long night. She can barely get a hang of herself thinking about the college results that will be posted in front of the entire school tomorrow. The clock’s hand turned 5AM, she agitatedly sat up, Areum sighed and decided that she should head to school early by herself, after fighting with herself that she can’t wait anymore.

 

“Guess these eye bags will have to do.” She sighed and brushed her hair out of her face.

 

Step by step on the foggy morning street, all kinds of scenarios reached Areum’s head. The fact that her whole group of friends-- consist of 14 smart kids, are all applying to Korea University, except her, and Seungcheol. Maybe she shouldn’t have beaten herself up and just apply to the same college as all of them, after all, her wish after college was to have her own fashion line.

 

But one out of many things that bothered her was the fact that Seungcheol and her might not go to the same university. And of course she knows that he said it wouldn’t be a problem, since they’ll see each other at home, the perks of living in Seoul. Even so, she isn’t confident enough for that, confident enough to realize that he’d choose her over million of gorgeous freshman and upperclassmen he’d meet in college.

 

“I wonder if this is a bad decision.” Her step stopped at the front gate. She took a deep breath and walked in.

 

The big board was hanging in the front yard of the school, big day for all seniors. She stood in front of it, her eyes scanned through the list of Seoul National University, her dream school, the most prestigious school in the country. Her eyes brushed past “Choi Seungcheol” and Jang Areum was nowhere to be found. Her heart stopped and she scanned through her other dream university, placed second on her list, Yonsei University. Her boyfriend’s name came up again, but she sighed in relief that her name is there, together with the other 2 kids with the last name Jang. Only 10 kids made it to one of those schools with a couple kids who made it into both schools, like Seungcheol.

 

Areum closed her eyes and sighed, she took the admission slip on the table next to the board, now that she knows for sure she’s going to Yonsei. Of course she knows Seungcheol would choose Seoul National.

 

Somehow, she felt a bit upset. She’s upset that she isn’t good enough, and upset that Seungcheol got in too. Areum sat in the empty class until the bell rings. She knows she shouldn’t exaggerated this whole thing, after all, Yonsei is still pretty darn prestigious.

 

And then there is her boyfriend, walking into class, laughing with the other boys. He probably is laughing about how she didn’t get into that damn school. Areum stood up and left to the water fountain, somehow she just didn’t want to face it. She sighed as she crossed the hallways and everyone congratulated her on getting into Yonsei.

 

The whole day brushed by of her constantly avoiding Seungcheol. She doesn’t know why she’s doing it, really. She walked faster every time she sees him walking towards her direction. Stayed in the library during lunch and barely talk to anyone. Areum doesn’t really know that he noticed, and it’s irking him so much.

 

The clock is still ticking through the classes, he sat behind her and the locks of her hair falls on his desk. He couldn’t focus at all, the girl was constantly fidgeting on her hair and his attention was on her and everytime they take notes, Mingyu would have to nudge his elbow to let him know. The fact that today is the second day as a couple for them, and he already lost tracks of what’s happening.

 

The bell rings and everyone stood up, except Areum. She was still zoned out like she did the entire day. He knelt down next to her table and look at his girlfriend, who’s frowning.

 

“I’m gonna head home first.” Areum stood up and grab her backpack as the last kid walked out of class.

 

“Wait, Areum!” He called and she didn’t stop, she doesn’t know why she’s acting like this either.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter