Each decision

The Next Door Kid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Seungcheol, wake up." Bora shook Seungcheol slightly and he opened his eyes, his mind went blank for a few seconds and returned back to its senses,"You going to school?" Bora whispered.

 

"I guess not, still haven't done my homework or copy down notes." He sat up and stretched his back from leaning against the frame of Areum's bed all night.

 

"Alright, we're leaving now, take care of her for us okay?" Bora nodded and gently pick up her backpack without any sounds.

 

It was early enough to start making some breakfast. Seungcheol got up and wash up his face to freshen up. He jogged down to Areum’s kitchen and scan through her refrigerator. The boy pulled out and defrost a piece of pork and pour the rice into a medium sized pot. He decided that pork porridge should be the best for someone who’s sick. He chopped the scallions into small little pieces and seasoned the meat, putting his attention into a small breakfast. It took him longer than usual to get it done but he didn’t mind waiting, the only thing that was on his mind was that she might be hungry.

 

“Alright, let’s get this upstairs.” He tipped the bottle and let the pepper fall on the porridge just enough for the amount in the bowl.

 

He pulled a tray that Areum’s mom placed on top of the fridge then carefully set the clay bowl on top with a glass of warm water and a bottle of Tylenol, he knew that her head would be banging when she gets up. Knowing himself, tripping over everything that’s at his feet and getting this upstairs would be a struggle. He walked up with the tray in his hands, step by step, like a 4 year old. Seungcheol breathed out in relief after making it to her room, he placed on top of her desk, where she will see it when she wakes up.

 

“Her birthday is in 3 days, I need to go get her a present.” Seungcheol whispered to himself and quickly grabbed the sticky notes lying between the scattered pens and pencils on Areum’s desk.

 

Eat this and take the meds, don’t call me up 500 times like a queef, I’ll be back in an hour :) -Miss Korea.

 

Seungcheol locked the doors of Areum’s house and head down to the main streets of Seoul. Desperate of not knowing what to get for Areum on her birthday, he pulled his phone out and hoping that Google got his back like how it did when he was in 11th grade doing his regional research project. Like the violent girl that he imagined, if he gets her some sort of stuffed animal, she would probably kick it to the curb at night when she sleeps.

 

“Geez, what do satanic girls want.” He mumbled and scratched his head while scrolling through the search engine.

 

After standing in the middle of the street brain farting for 15 minutes and still getting no responses from Google, Seungcheol breathed in and dig in his brain, deciding that he should get her something that’s practical and meaningful. Right she wears a charms bracelet. He thought to himself and came to the closest jewelry store he could find. He was lost in the middle of all the charms in the shop, he sighed and stared at the plate full of the things that he’s looking for.

 

Always Sincere.

 

His eyes landed on a charm that has the two words engraved and a little red stone attached in the middle. The first letters of the words are the initials to their names and he thought it’s somehow obvious but not obvious which is perfect. He bit his lips and decided on buying it regardless. It was placed in a jewelry box and wrapped in a pastel gift wrapper and a small red bow. Seungcheol stepped out the store with the gift in his hand and proudly smiled to himself until his phone suddenly vibrated in his pocket.

 

Kim Mingyu

Today 9:21 AM

Are you still sick?

 

I’m much better now, why?            

 

Just asking because you’re not at school,

so is Areum.

 

She’s dead sick on bed. Thanks to u.            

 

What.

 

She was soaked, in the pouring rain.            

If I didn’t go and find her, she could’ve        

faint somewhere. you should’ve known        

to walk her home.             

 

How is she now?

 

Fever went down. Better.             


 

Seungcheol bit his tongue and shoved his phone back in his pocket, could careless to reply to Mingyu. Having Areum go to and talk to him yesterday made Seungcheol anxious enough, when he brought her home, sicked to her bones, he wanted to explode and he isn’t in the right mind to deal with the kid, and he’s afraid of what he’d do hearing what Mingyu told Areum when they’re both out yesterday. Seungcheol got home soon afterwards and mentally smacked himself realizing that to get to Areum’s, he has to go up to his room and climb over the balcony. He placed the gift in the drawer under his bed and climb over, he peeked to the door and spotted Areum leaning against the wall.

 

“How are you feeling, sadistic child? Gained your voice back?” Seungcheol opened the door and casually walked in,”How was the porridge?”

 

“It was good, didn’t know your cooking is actually decent.” She tiredly nodded and he chuckled.

 

“Mingyu texted me.” He bit his lips and said.

 

“What did he say?” She furrowed her brows and crossed her arms.

 

“Nothing much, he just asked If I got better and why aren’t you at school.” Seungcheol shrugged.

 

“And what did you say?” Areum blinked.

 

“I said you’re sick.” He replied and she breathed out.

 

“He likes me.” She said, widens her eyes a little realizing that this is all isn’t a dream, and a gentle reminder that what she heard from Seungcheol last night wasn’t either,”That’s what went down yesterday.”

 

“Oh.” Seungcheol leaned against her desk and crossed his arms, staring down at his toes fidgeting one another,”That’s good then isn’t it?”

 

“How is it good?” She curled her kne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter