Two

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In this era, there were some countries that still hold the monarchy system of their government. And in this story, let’s draw an analogy that South Korea was a country which led by a King.

King Lee Ji Taek was the current king that led South Korea, together with his wife, Queen Kim Pil Ok. The King had a son who named Prince Lee Yong Hwa, and a daughter who named Princess Lee Soo Jung. Lee Yonghwa was a Crown Prince who will be the first line of the succession to the throne.

Queen Kim Pil Ok was known as a humble Queen. She might be born as a noble woman, but she was so low profile. She was the first Queen of South Korea who bravely changed the Royal Protocol about Royal Education, with approval from the King of course. She let her children, the Crown Prince Lee Yonghwa and Princess Lee Soojung to study in public school instead of Royal Home School. She decided to make her children learned about their people directly which would be useful for their future. That was why Prince Yonghwa continued his study in Dongguk University at that time, with Major Civil and Environmental System Engineering. Meanwhile, Princess Soojung who was four years younger than the Crown Prince, currently studied in Yongsan High School.

As a student of DGU, Yonghwa tried to live as normal as other student there. He bought a small house near the campus so he could sleep there in school days, and just went back to the palace every two weeks. He always followed by a personal bodyguard, Mr. Ham Bongsu, who lived together with him during school days. But there were some other bodyguards too that always watched over him from afar and moved so invisible around him.

He did his royal duties every two weeks, according to his schedule of visit the palace. Queen Pilok didn’t want to disturb his study so she asked the Royal Secretary to arrange it all.

Yonghwa, like a DGU student in common, was active on University activities too. He was one of Dongguk Basketball team members. He joined Dongguk Swimming team too, together with Jonghyun. And he always tried to attend every party that was held by his friends, like that night he attended Yu Gwansun Dorm party with his best friend, Jonghyun.

There weren’t any interesting things that caught his attention in that party at first, before he saw Seo Joohyun, his friend since the first year. They met several times in some subjects. She was from Industrial and System Engineering. That was why he barely knew her.

Yonghwa could find her too from some Sooyeon’s parties once in a while, because Seohyun was a good friend of his cousin. But tonight was different. For the first time since he knew her, he just realized how beautiful she was. No, he always knew that Seohyun was a lovely girl and there were so many guys, include Dongwoon, who already asked her out, but she never caught his attention all this time. Besides, he never approached a girl who was not from his circle. All his ex-girlfriends, who never been exposed to public, were from Royal circle or Seoul socialite circle.

Yonghwa didn’t know what power that pushed him until he shouted a huge amount of donation just to see Seohyun’s y dance. But he didn’t regret it at all. The moment Yonghwa saw she winked, he felt his world froze at that time. He died so many times every time he saw her y moves on the stage. It was really killing him. He didn’t know it was just a pure lust or something else, but the fact was he already hooked by her that night.

“Yahh! Are you drooling?” Jonghyun asked as he laughed hard.

Yonghwa grinned before he replied, “I never know that she could be so gorgeous like that.”

His innocent answer made Jonghyun laughed harder. But Yonghwa’s mind was too occupied, so he just ignored him.

When the song was ended, and Seohyun walked down from the stage, without hesitation Yonghwa followed her. But when she rejected him in the end, Yonghwa had to learn a new fact that being a Crown Prince was not everything. And it surprised him so much. He never imagined himself being rejected by someone. He felt disappointed, that was true, but at the same time he could understand Seohyun’s feeling. He was not sure about his own feeling too.

Yes, she’s right. It might be just a summer fling. Yonghwa said to himself inwardly.

But he chuckled again as he walked back to enter Yu Gwansun building. It was really his first time being rejected by a girl.

And she is really a cool girl. Yonghwa added inwardly, remember how bravely Seohyun when she told him her reason why she rejected him.

 

***

 

Seohyun could remember it clearly, at the same time she got news that she had been accepted by DGU, the Royal made an announcement that Crown Prince, who accepted by Seoul National University, Dongguk and Chung Ang University, decided to attend DGU in Major Civil & Environment System Engineering.

She didn’t even imagine that she would be in the same class for some subjects with him. But there wasn’t anything special being in the same class with him too because he looked like a common student, not act so arrogantly even if he was a Crown Prince.

In the class, or outside the school, they were not in the same circle. They were basically just casual friends that just greeted briefly every time they bumped to each other. That’s all. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, when the Crown Prince asked her out so abruptly that night, Seohyun was really surprised. How come he asked her? That was why Seohyun rejected him. Fortunately, he could understand her. But Seohyun felt so guilty after that. The night after she rejected him, Seohyun couldn’t sleep at all. But she decided to keep the fact, that she had been asked by the Prince but she rejected him, for herself. She should protect his image. But the main reason was she was afraid, if the public knew, she totally wouldn’t be safe.

But the day when they should attend the same class was come, unstoppable. Seohyun who felt so nervous, tried so hard to not showed it too obviously.

She entered the class when Yonghwa already there. It seemed like he was discussing something with his friends. Seohyun really wanted to sit as far as she could from him, but it would like too obvious, so she encouraged herself to just sat in her usual place.

When the class finally started, Seohyun needed to hold herself to not look toward Yonghwa’s place. But when Yonghwa had to present his group work, she didn’t have a reason to not look at him. There were so many times Seohyun saw Yonghwa held his laugh every time their eyes met. And Seohyun just smiled calmly in return, even if her heart was beating so hard at the same time.

“Arrghh. Why does Prof. Kim should ruin our best team? I hate being separated with you, Seohyun-ahh~” Sooyoung whined because their professor decided to arrange a new group team by picking random numbers.

Seohyun chuckled by Sooyoung whining as she walked to get her number.

Seohyun just picked the paper, when Sooyoung suddenly tapped her back, “What is your number?”

Seohyun showed her paper with number 22 on it.

“Geez, I got number 18.” Sooyoung pouted as she walked out to find her partner.

Seohyun finally looked around and saw most of her friends finally found their partners. She walked and found someone who still stood alone. She looked up when he asked, “Number 22?”

Seohyun’s heart was beating so crazily. She didn’t know why the fate led them together like that.

In other side, Yonghwa kept on waiting for Seohyun’s answer. But when Seohyun finally nodded, he chuckled.

“Let’s try our best for this project, Seohyun-ssi.” Yonghwa finally said.

“Ne~ Yonghwa-ssi.” She replied but her mind was totally blank at that time

 

They decided to start their group work that day. And at 3 PM, Joohyun already arrived in Jangchung Park.

Jangchung Park was a lovely park that actually was a popular place for elders to gather or families with kids to hang out. Joohyun frowned at first when Yonghwa suggested that place, but when she finally arrived, she understood, that park was a perfect place for the Crown Prince to study. At least, there were no much fangirls who tried to catch his attention.

“I’m sorry, Seohyun-ssi. Prof. Choi came late for his last subject.” Yonghwa finally appeared.

Seohyun could see he was sweating. So she smiled before said, “Gwenchanayo. I don’t wait too long.”

But Seohyun caught someone presence. She always saw him not so far from Yonghwa. And Yonghwa realized her change expression too.

“Mr. Ham,” Yonghwa told her. “I hope you don’t mind him. He’ll try to not so visible for us.”

“Ne?” Seohyun surprised by Yonghwa sudden explanation. “Gwenchanayo, jinjja. I’m just a little bit curious…” and she replied it right away.

She should make sure to not show her curiosity too often. Yonghwa was surprisingly very sensitive. He could read the situation really fast.

“Okay then.”

After that, they started their work.

Seohyun surprised that Yonghwa was a good listener. She thought that he was a dominant type. But he always heard patiently all Seohyun’s words, and added his own opinion in the end. Mostly he would agree with Seohyun’s opinion, but when he finally disagreed, he would tell her with his logic reasons. And Seohyun couldn’t help to feel so excited every time he argued back. The way he explained his reason always made her in awe.

As expected, he is a Crown Prince after all. Seohyun commented inwardly.

But the main thing that Seohyun liked was Yonghwa never acted as if he was cleverer than her. He was so smart, Seohyun admitted it. But he was so modest too. His expression every time Seohyun told her opinion was full of valuation. That was why Seohyun felt so comfortable work together with him. He was basically a perfect partner for her.

At 5 PM, they decided to end their work and would continue it next week.

Seohyun was tidying her stuff when suddenly Yonghwa handed a bag full of biscuits to her.

Seohyun surprised but she took the biscuit in the end.

“It was biscuit from Ta Keuk Dang.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter