Twenty-Four

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Please read the previous chapter first~)

 

Article: [Exclusive] The Crown Prince Yonghwa and SAM Heiress’s Seo Joohyun are Dating

Source: N*ver

1. [+170,074, -1309] Wait what …???????????

2. [+169,160, -1129] ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. [+156,100, -1280] Who is she????

4. [+154,569, -1004] Andwae … ㅠㅠ

5. [+152,581, -457] Another social climber ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+144,940, -513] Hul ㅋㅋㅋ from Bae Suzy to such a nugu, the Prince’s standards have gone down ㅋㅋ

7. [+143,701, -290] She got a scandal with Lee Joon and Joo Jinmoo in the past, right?

8. [+102,760, -398] Hul, the Crown Prince's such a disappointment ㅠㅠ Why her of all people

9. [+929,420, -500] So she was not there for Lee Joon. She targeted the Crown Prince ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

10. [+818,453, -783] Is our Prince standard in women that low?

11. [+514,428, -690] No wonder she is always around the Royalty circle. She is smart ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

12. [+512,945, -398] ㅠㅠWhat’s wrong with our Prince???

13. [+350,872, -645] Two years? Hul ㅠㅠ

14. [+328,536, -165] I normally never leave comments but … Bae Suzy is so much better than her. The Crown Prince really has low standards in women

15. [+305,276, -349] Come on, she has to be blackmailing him into this or something ㅠㅠ

16. [+289,996, -747] She hits jackpot ㅋㅋㅋ

17. [+280,222, -13] I reckon they'll break up soon

 

That were the most hurtful comments that she had got from people who she didn’t even know. Seohyun couldn’t hold her tears as she placed her phone. She thought that she was ready for this. But she still got hurt in the end. That day, she spent a whole day in her own room.

 

***

 

Yonghwa was in his room in Donggung Palace, preparing himself to attend Annual New Year’s Banquet. The King always hosted the banquet for the government and specially-invited guests that was always held on the 1st January in Gyeongbokgung Palace.

He finally decided to let go his phone because he should be ready for the banquet. Since the news about his relationship with Seohyun was revealed to public in the morning, he was busy watching over the portal news to make sure that the news was still on the track and was not growing wildly. He kept talking with Secretary Lee too to make sure he controlled the situation.

He actually got used to this kind of news. But for Seohyun, being caught by paparazzi as the Crown Prince’s girlfriend was a new experience, an extraordinary experience to be exact. So he couldn’t help to feel so worried about her. Besides, he had promised to Seohyun and himself that he would do his best to protect her.

Secretary Lee had ensured him that everything would be okay and he didn’t have to worry. Yonghwa didn’t have any choice except gave his trust to him in the end because he still had another responsibility as the Crown Prince of South Korea at that time. He was so sad but Royal should always come first.

And suddenly someone knocked the door.

“Oppa, can I come in?” Soojung asked from the outside.

He smiled after knowing that his sister came. It was such a rare occasion for Soojung to come to his palace.

He actually could predict why his sister came out of the blue like this. She rarely came if she didn’t need anything from him. This time she must be so curious and needed to ask him about the news directly since their mother and Secretary Lee kept silenced.

“Ne. Just come in, Soojung-ahh,” Yonghwa replied as he buttoned his white shirt.

Soojung was not invited to the Annual Royal Banquet because she was not a married woman. The banquet was usually attended by Royal family members who had married. But it was the exception for Yonghwa. Even though he had not married yet, he should present as the Crown Prince. He was always attending that event since his father ascended the throne.

“So, they’ve caught both of you from a long time ago?” she asked to the point as she sat on his bed. As always, she never beat around the bush.

“Yeah, I was so careless. But then again, they are paparazzi. They will catch us eventually,” Yonghwa replied calmly.

Soojung didn’t know about the agreement between the Queen and paparazzi. It was a top secret that just be known by Yonghwa, the Queen, Secretary Lee, and that paparazzi themselves. Even Seohyun didn’t know about this too.

“So it’s the reason why you suddenly applied SKA and send her to Cambridge?” Soojung asked further with full of curiosity. And as always too, Soojung was so sharp in catching the situation.

But Yonghwa found it funny. It was so surprising to see how excited his sister was because of the news. He tried to remember how indifferent she was with his past relationships.

“Why are you suddenly looked so excited? I don’t remember you asked about this matter when I was caught in the past,” Yonghwa asked back as he was chuckling.

Soojung pouted her lips in annoyance. She knew that Yonghwa was trying to buy the time to avoid answering her question.

“I’m just curious. First, Joohyun unnie is different from your ex-es. Second, you looked sooo in love with her. I become more curious after seeing Eomoni acted so differently towards her too,” she said as she sounded upset. “But I know that Eomoni won’t let you marry her so easily like that. It’s still against the Royal protocol.”

“M – mwo?” Yonghwa was surprised by Soojung’s last sentences. He didn’t expect she would think that far like that. “Yahh what are you talking about, Soojung-ahh? Why are you suddenly talking about marriage?”

But Soojung gave him a death glare. “I’m just stating the truth. And I know you are avoiding my question. But I know you so well, Oppa. Avoiding means my guess is right.”

Yonghwa just chuckled after hearing that.

“Mwolla...I should know that it’s useless to ask. You won’t answer all my questions,” she looked more upset than before then stood up again. “But I want to make sure one more thing. So is it okay for me to show any interactions with Joohyun unnie in public from now on?”

“Yep, but you still have to be careful,” Yonghwa finally answered her question as he wore the tuxedo.

“Okay then. See you, Oppa,” Soojung bade him goodbye coldly after that.

Yonghwa felt so sorry to Soojung because of that. It was not because he didn’t trust her. He was just being careful. He never told anyone about the real reason why he applied SKA instead of tried working in the UK after graduation, and why he insisted Seohyun to get her Master degree. His parents, Secretary Lee, and even Seohyun might realize it, his real reason, already but he never told them about this directly.

He then remembered what Seohyun had said in the phone once the news released.

 

“So, this is all because of me?” she asked carefully.

Yonghwa just chuckled because of that.

“No, Joohyun-ahh. It’s all for the best,” but he denied it calmly.

Seohyun then silenced after that.

“I’m so sorry for not being there with you,” Yonghwa then said in a guilty tone.

“You’ve done so many things for me and my family. It’s more than enough. Gomawo, Yong. Jeongmal gomawo,” she said in a nearly whispered tone.

“Ohh, stop saying that, Hyun,” he said in an upset tone but still chuckling in the end.

“Ne, mian...but I really mean it, Yong. Jeongmal gomawo.”

He suddenly missed her so much. He was really sad for not being with her at that time. But he tried his best not to let her be alone and sent her family to be with her at least.

And Yonghwa suddenly remembered something. He should discuss about her and her family’s safety.

“I think you and your family should be guarded from now on,” he said to the point.

“Mwo? I don’t think it’s necessary,” but she refused it right away, and he already predicted it.

“Paparazzi will follow you and your family more than before. It’ll be better if you get at least one bodyguard, Hyun,” he insisted.

“Aigoo. It’s not the first time for me to be in public attention. Besides, I’m not in Seoul right now. I get used to this, Yong. Gwenchana,” she said confidently.

“Oh, believe me, Hyun. This time is different. You need it,” he insisted.

“Everything will gonna be okay, Yong. You don’t have to worry,” and she was so stubborn as always.

Yonghwa let out the sigh. He was so damn worried. He never felt like this to his former girlfriends in the past since they were chaebol and celebrity who were always been followed by bodyguards everywhere they go.

Seohyun really didn’t understand that her situation was really different from before.

“I know that you just don’t want to make me worried, but please consider it, Joohyun-ahh. You know that I can’t ask Royal to give any statement to the press and media if they go out of hand.” Yonghwa begged for the last time until Seohyun exhaled deeply because of that.

“Ahrasso, Yong. I’ll consider it. But for now, I’m still thinking this is unnecessary,” she stayed with her stance stubbornly.

Yonghwa was about to give another argument, “But...”

“But...” Seohyun cut it right away, “...if everything goes out of hands, I promise I’ll do everything you say, Yong. I won’t argue with you anymore, I promise.”

So stubborn...as always...Yonghwa said inwardly as he took a deep breath.

He actually could still send bodyguards to her, with or without her consent. But since the first time he decided to be with her, he already made an unspoken promise to himself that he would always respect her opinion first. So in the end, he agreed with her decision. He just hoped she would always be okay.

“Noted. If everything goes out of hands, I’ll send you bodyguards. No more argument, Joohyun-ahh,” he repeated the sentences clearly.

 

A new knock sounded shortly afterwards, bringing him back to his sense.

“Ne?” Yonghwa asked.

Secretary Lee opened the door from outside. He bowed to him first then said, “Are you ready, Jeoha?”

Yonghwa took a deep breath. He should put this matter aside for a while.

 

***

 

Three months later

It had been three months since the news about Seohyun and the Crown Prince were in relationship released. And Seohyun was so surprised because it was almost out of control. Not only South Korean paparazzi that became more intense in pestering her, but the UK media also started following her too.

Seohyun tried her best to be okay, or at least looked okay. She knew that this kind of attention was inevitable since people around the world know that she is the girlfriend of South Korea's Crown Prince now. But Seohyun should admit that this was beyond her expectation.

And that day was not the exception. Right after she reached railway station, she could see paparazzi were already there too. She was trying to ignore them while she was walking to Great Northern Road, where she lives together with Yoona. And Seohyun was about to enter the apartment building, when one of her neighbours, a middle-aged woman, stopped her out of sudden.

"Who are you actually? Why do they keep on following you?" The middle-aged woman asked in an annoyed tone as she pointed out the paparazzi in the car not so far from their current place.

Seohyun was so surprised by that sudden question. She didn't realize that paparazzi were making people around her felt so uncomfortable too.

But then the security came to handle the situation.

"I just want to know who she is actually until those people with big cameras keep on following her like that. Do you realize that they make me and people who live here feel uncomfortable?" the middle-aged woman explained her reason to the security after he asked what happened between them.

"I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry, Maam," she didn't know how to answer that question and chose to apologize in the end. She wanted to cry at that time, but she held it as much as she could.

The security then tried to ensure them that he wouldn't stand still if the paparazzi started harming the residences in this apartment building. And that middle-aged woman didn't have any choice except accepting the security's promise in the end then went away.

Seohyun thanked the security because of that. She and Yoona actually already explained the situation to the apartment manager. And the manager agreed that they would give the best protection for Seohyun as the resident in that apartment and told her not to worry. But after she got scolded by one of her neighbour like that, Seohyun started feeling uneasy again.

She had apologized so many times to her parents too because of the news. She already told them about the fact that they got caught by paparazzi two months before. But still, it was beyond their expectation. The news really made an uproar in South Korea. So, in the morning after the news released in Seoul, her parents asked her for a serious talk.

 

"Yonghwa came to us last month," her father said to the point. "He explained everything. He apologized too, when actually he didn't have to do that. So, we hope you won't feel sorry too, Joohyun-ahh. We really understand that this is unusual situation for us. But we hope you remember that we'll always be here to support you, Ddal."

Seohyun couldn't help to cry because of that. She was so guilty for making her family felt uncomfortable with this situation. But she felt so grateful too in the same time. She felt so relieved because her family could understand her and gave her unconditional support for every situation in her life.

"Appa, Eomma, mianhaeyo...and thank you so much..." She said that in the end then gave her parents tight hug as she was crying.

 

But even after that, she still felt so sad. She thought that paparazzi would stop bothering her after some months passed. But she was wrong. They kept following her as if they wanted to dig about her life deeper day by day. And she felt so annoyed by them. But she knew that she couldn't do anything. She couldn't ask them to stop or asked Yonghwa to stop them. Besides, she didn't want to add more worries to Yonghwa for becoming so whiny.

Let's hang on, Seo Joohyun. It'll pass soon...she cheered herself inwardly.

This situation reminded her again of an incident when her family arrived in Seoul, two weeks after the news released. As expected, paparazzi had waited for them in the airport. And of course, it created ruckus in the end.

Seohyun was so damn worried after that incident. But her father refused to be guarded by bodyguards even after Seohyun suggested it.

 

"We don't need it, Joohyun-ahh. We still can handle it. Don't worry," her father said calmly while Seohyun was so furious in the other line. It was right after she read the news about how her family should be guarded by the airport securities to go out of paparazzi attack.

"You have to calm down, My Dear. Don't make your Prince worried," her father added as he chuckled because Seohyun was still crying.

And she should take a deep breath after that because her father was right, she should calm down and didn't add more worries for Yonghwa.

 

Until that time, her father insisted that they were okay. Seohyun knew that they just didn't want to make her worried. But if her father said 'no', she couldn't do anything too in the end.

Seohyun felt so guilty towards Seulgi too because she couldn't go to her campus with public transportation anymore from that time.

 

"I won’t be so hypocrite, Eonni. I enjoy being so famous like this. But yeahh, it is quite bothersome sometimes because I should be careful in choosing my outfits. I can't let them take a picture of me in bad outfits. But hey, I got a new reason to buy more clothes because of this. I’m sure Appa will understand," she replied in-jokes when Seohyun asked her situation after her family's significant popularity.

She was worried what if her little sister's personal life was bothered a lot because of this. But what Seulgi said was not so different from her father's opinion. She was okay and told her not to worry.

 

It was so fortunate that her friends in the University of Cambridge didn't care about who she was. And paparazzi didn’t follow her to her campus either. So, at least while she was studying, she didn’t have to feel so worried about them.

Seohyun then took a deep breath before she entered the passcode of her apartment.

"Ahh wasseo?" Yoona greeted her right after Seohyun entered the living room.

"Ne..." But Seohyun replied her with a weak tone and just slumped herself on the couch where Yoona sat as she was reading her paper.

"Wae?" Yoona asked worriedly as she took off her glasses that always be used everytime she was working on her research.

"Ani. I'm just tired," but Seohyun decided not to tell her. She felt like she shouldn't be too whiny about this matter to Yoona too.

Yoona exhaled deeply because of that then asked, "Are you sure? You don't want to tell me?"

Seohyun was about to answer it, but suddenly her phone rang. She looked at her phone monitor and it was unknown numbers.

"Again?" Yoona asked curiously because Seohyun got so many calls from unknown numbers these past months until she should change her phone numbers several times.

The callers were actually not complete strangers for Seohyun. They were mostly her acquaintances. But they were not so close with her either.

There were a lot of her school friends and colleagues who suddenly wanted to be friend with her again even though they barely talked to each other in the past too. And she had no idea, from where they got her phone numbers.

"I hope it doesn't mean you have to change your phone number again," Yoona commented simply as she held her smile, while Seohyun took a deep breath.

Actually, Seohyun didn't want to change her phone numbers at first. She didn't want to be so rude by doing that. She was also afraid people would judge her arrogant because of that. So she tried her best to answer the calls and reply all the messages carefully. It was so tiring but she did all of this for Yonghwa and her family. She didn’t want to make people disappointed and put shame on Yonghwa and her family.

But then it was getting out of hand. There were too many calls and messages until it became a high-level disruption for her. She didn't have any choice except change her phone numbers in the end. Yonghwa and Yoona were laughing at her when she said that she drowned her phone in the sink.

"You won't answer it?" Yoona asked again when Seohyun didn't do anything and kept looking at her phone blankly.

Seohyun took a deep breath after that and said, "They will call again if it’s really an urgent matter. I just hope it's not from a stranger."

She decided to go showering in the end.

Seohyun just finished showering and was drying her wet hair with the towel as she started turning on her laptop.

“Don’t read unnecessary things, Joohyun-ahh,” Yoona reminded her as her eyes still focused on the paper on the table. She was worried since Seohyun always ended up reading all the current news about her and felt so sad after that.

“I won’t,” she replied simply and started working on her assignment.

Even though she was always being so careful not to give a bad impression that could harm Yonghwa and her family, people (especially her hater) would still search flaws from everything she did. There were a lot of fake news that kept on spreading about her personal life too. There would at least five articles in a day that said how arrogant she was in real life. She got used to be called a social climber or gold digger in the comment section of every article. And became a trending topic with unnecessary news or article was not unusual anymore.

Seohyun always tried to ignore all news or articles about her too. But sometimes, she felt so itchy and started typing her name in search box, like she did that nig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter