Twenty-Nine

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning. I am Seo Joohyun, CEO of DEW Foundation.” Seohyun then bowed formally.

People who didn’t know her so well would think that she was okay. But she actually was trying to look okay.

“Thank you for all reporters who are coming here today. I am here to make an official statement regarding the alleged corruption that points at to our foundation, DEW Foundation.”

Seohyun took a deep breath before she continued her statement.

“DEW Foundation has submitted all the document of our projects to the investigator. We will cooperate with the investigation thoroughly and will also provide as much support as we could during the investigation.”

“We hope the transparent investigation would lead us to the real culprit very soon.”

It was a simple and yet clear statement.

“That concludes our press conference today. We are sorry for not accepting any question regarding this matter. Thank you.”

Seohyun took a deep breath once again before continued saying, “And on behalf of DEW Foundation, I am Seo Joohyun, we are sorry for the inconveniences that we have done to all South Korean people.”

Seohyun then walked out of the podium and bowed deeply once again. And after that, she walked out of the press conference place.

It made a quite uproar since the reporters were not satisfied at all. Fortunately, Seohyun was escorted safely.

 

Yonghwa watched it online through streaming. It was already 4 AM in Iraq, and 10 AM in Seoul. It was fortunate that he was off duty that day, or he wouldn’t focus on his duty a whole day because of this matter.

Yonghwa had tried to call Seohyun since midnight but her phone was off. He then knew that she was preparing for this press conference.

It hurt him seeing her who should shoulder this problem alone. How he wished he was there with her. But he also had to fulfil his obligation as UN Peacekeeping Officer first.

And seeing her gloomy face, made his heart bleeding. She might look strong. But he knew exactly she was not okay. He was sure she would cry right after she was away from the people.

He didn’t do anything for about one hour after that. And when he finally dialled Seohyun’s phone numbers, he exhaled deeply because she didn’t turn off her phone this time. After several seconds, she finally answered it.

“Joohyun-ahh…”

“Ne.” Her voice sounded stammering.

“Where are you?” asked Yonghwa carefully.

“My room.”

So, she is already at home…said Yonghwa inwardly.

“How are you feeling?”

But then she was sobbing. Her sobs stabbed his heart painfully.

“Uljima…”

But she kept on sobbing. And he suddenly wanted to cry too.

“Mian, Joohyun-ahh…” said Yonghwa as he held his own tears too. It would hurt her more if she knew that the reason behind her problems at that time was him.

But he should tell her. She should know the real reason why this all happened to her and affected the people around her.

“Mian…this all happens because of me…”

It was hard but he decided to tell her.

“What – what do – you mean?” asked Seohyun in between her sobs.

Yonghwa took a deep breath.

“You got into Madame Kang’s trap, Joohyun-ahh. All of this happens because you’re with me.”

“W – what?”

“Madame Kang has put Hwang Wonyoung into DEW intentionally to trap you.”

She stopped sobbing. Yonghwa guessed she was surprised.

“They have planned to break you down through DEW,” added Yonghwa in a guilty tone.

She was silent after that for several seconds.

“But – but DEW is not mine! It’s built by my mother and her friends’ sweat. I’m just trusted to continue their fight,” said Seohyun in anger but she was still stammering in between her sobs.

It was the first time she really sounded so angry. Yonghwa was stunned because of that.

“How dare she did that to DEW? If she hates me, then she just has to break me! Just me! Not DEW,” added Seohyun as she started crying while talking this time.

Yonghwa was about to say something when she suddenly asked, “Don’t say that the one behind SAM defamation is also her?”

She was stammering again when asking that question. If he could choose, he didn’t want to tell her at all because it would just add more pain to her.

“Ne, she paid someone who once got rejected by SAM to spread this false news.” But he didn’t have any choice except telling her in the end.

“God…”

And Seohyun cried harder because of that.

“Joohyun-ahh, mian…” Yonghwa kept on apologizing to her.

And it took several minutes for her to cry her pain out. And Yonghwa was just waiting. That was all he could do.

“Why did they do that to innocent people? Do they know that there are so many orphanages out there that are waiting for DEW to supply their basic needs? What will happen to them if DEW is sentenced guilty? And have they thought about so many underprivileged students out there who are hoping to get a scholarship from SAM but should be disappointed because we should halt the selection because of that malicious rumour?” she was talking while crying. It sounded so painful in Yonghwa’s ears.

He didn’t say anything while she cried.

“Mian. I should have known about this sooner. I should prevent her from threatening you. But I failed to protect you. Mian, Joohyun-ahh,” said Yonghwa after several minutes.

Seohyun didn’t say anything after Yonghwa told her that. But she was still crying.

“Then what will they do if I insist to be with you? Will they harm my parents, Seulgi, and people that I care about?”

That question hit Yonghwa right into his heart. It was so possible to happen. But he didn’t have any courage to tell her the truth.

And because he didn’t give any answer, Seohyun kept crying. Her cry added the pain into his bleeding heart.

“This is too hard, Yong. I can’t bear it if they really harm my parents or Seulgi…”

Yonghwa was choked by that statement. It felt like a death sentence to him. Seohyun was starting to giving up.

How he really wanted to say something to her but he failed to protect her so many times. This was killing him inside too. He never felt so failed like this before.

His situation couldn’t give him a chance to give direct support to her too. If in the past, their problem was solved right after he flew back to Seoul, this time, he couldn’t even do that. Without he realized it, the tears started flowing on his cheeks.

While Seohyun was still crying in the other line.

“Is it really hard, Joohyun-ahh?” asked Yonghwa after several minutes in dilemma.

Seohyun didn’t reply the question right away, but then she said, “Ne, it’s always suffocating but I thought I’ll be okay as long as I love you. But this time, I can’t even breath, Yong. It’s too painful for me…”

God…Yonghwa shouted inwardly.

He loves her. He really – really loves her. But seeing her in the pain like this was really too much for him too. He really wanted her to hang on. But seeing her broken like this killed him again and again.

“I love you, Joohyun-ahh…”

That sentence made Seohyun cried harder. He should take a deep breath because of that as he sobbed a bit too.

“I love you, and I really can’t imagine myself living without you. But your pain is killing me too…”

Seohyun was still crying that made Yonghwa started to worry.

“I really – really want you to stay. I want you to fight with me until the end. But I also can’t let you live in misery because of me. I love you too much to let you suffer.”

Yonghwa knew that this decision would make himself in misery too. But this was better than seeing her suffering.

“If this is really hard for you, then I won’t – I won’t force you, Joohyun-ahh…” this sentence choked himself in the end.

This was worse than she asked him to break up.

“If this is too much for you, then I won’t ask you to stay anymore…”

Seohyun cried harder than before because of that. Yonghwa wiped his own tears too.

“I really – really love you…” added Yonghwa in a painful tone that made Seohyun cry turned into the most painful cry that he ever heard.

 

***

 

Three Weeks Later

Seohyun arrived in the garden and saw Yoona and Ahsung were busy preparing breakfast with a housekeeper. It was the last day of their one-week vacation in Capri Island, Italy.

Ahsung invited Seohyun, Yoona, Sooyoung, and Sooyeon in this vacation and spent all the money she had saved from two years working in LA before she got married next week. It was Joon’s idea since he refused to share in paying their wedding expenses.

“Morning. Do you need any help?” greeted Seohyun to them.

“No need, we finished preparing the breakfast. Just sit here, Seohyun-ahh,” replied Ahsung calmly.

Not long after that, Sooyoung and Sooyeon joined them.

“Ugh, can you give me hangover soup?” said Sooyoung as she held herself from vomiting.

“I told you not to go overboard, but you drunk until blackout,” commented Yoona as she sat beside Seohyun and was right in front of Sooyoung.

“I wonder whose hen night party last night exactly?” said Seohyun as she giggled then took a bowl of salads.

They prepared a hen night party for Ahsung last night. And Sooyeon rented a yacht for the party and invited the male dancers. But Seohyun and Ahsung got furious and shooed the dancers right away. Sooyeon was just laughing hard because of that.

“Here.” Ahsung placed a bowl of soup in front of Sooyoung.

They ate breakfast together after that while enjoying the beach from the garden. The villa that Ahsung rented for them was so amazing. It even had private access to the beach through a lush garden of palm, magnolia, and camellia trees.

Magnolia reminded her to Yonghwa because he insisted that she represented that flower so much. Seohyun should avoid looking at those trees since she always wanted to cry every time she looked at the flowers.

“So, they caught Hwang Wonyoung in NY last week?” They avoided talking about this matter but Ahsung asked this question in the end.

“Of course, they should catch her or Seohyun would still be banned to go overseas,” said Sooyoung right away.

“Yahh, just get sober first!” shouted Yoona at Sooyoung.

“I’m sober, geez…” said Sooyoung in annoyance.

“But I’m still so mad when she said that she has used all the money by herself. How come she did that to underprivileged kids?” Sooyeon joined the conversation too.

“At least, DEW has been declared clean for this case. And the boy who spread false news about the unfair selection of SAM Scholarship has caught too. So, you could be at ease now,” said Ahsung as started eating the fruits.

Seohyun just smiled. No one knew about Madame Kang and the reason why Hwang Wonyoung got caught fast because Yonghwa had tipped the investigator about her whereabouts. But Wonyoung refused to tell about Madame Kang, she admitted the sin by herself. Apparently, Madame Kang had paid all Wonyoung family’s debt. That was why she protected Madame Kang so much. And Seohyun felt so sad for her because of that.

“Is it just me or you’re still not oke, Seohyun-ahh?” asked Yoona out of sudden.

“Yeah, I realized she didn’t look as happy as she should for someone who is just declared innocent,” added Sooyoung simply.

“You fight with Yonghwa, don’t you?” guessed Sooyeon abruptly.

Seohyun took a deep breath. She wanted to deny it but they knew her too well.

She was about to answer the question, when Sooyoung suddenly said, “Is it because of the comparison article?”

“Ahh, the one that comparing you with Yeonhee, Shinhye, and Hyesung?” said Yoona as she clapped her hands.

“What is that? Do I miss something?” asked Ahsung curiously because, until last week, she was still in LA.

“There is an article who became trending topic last week. It was comparing Seohyun with Lee Yeonhee, Park Shinhye, and Jung Hyesung.” Yoona explained it quickly.

“Jung Hyesung? The one who was rumoured to be in a relationship with Yonghwa in Iraq?” asked Ahsung again.

“Yeah, that shameless girl,” said Sooyeon in annoyance.

“I know Park Shinhye is Yonghwa’s ex. But who is Lee Yeonhee?” It seemed that Ahsung was really so curious about this topic.

“She is one of the prospective Royal Consorts, besides Shinhye, in RHA list.” And Yoona explained everything patiently.

“Royal Consort? What are you guys talking about?” Ahsung didn’t know about this since Seohyun had not told her yet.

But Yoona looked at Seohyun uneasy. “I’ll explain about it later,” said Yoona in the end.

“You know what, I still want to vomit if remember they claimed Yeonhee as the 2nd Grace Kelly, and Shinhye is the 2nd Diana. Ugh, by that two lines only, I could guess who has written that article,” commented Sooyoung after several minutes.

Ahsung choked after hearing that while Yoona and Sooyeon were laughing.

“RHA is dominated by their clans after all. It’s not surprising,” said Yoona in the end.

“Yeah, they are really trying too hard to promote Yeonhee and Shinhye to the public,” added Sooyeon as she finished her breakfast.

“Did they really say Grace Kelly? But why?” Ahsung was still curious about that article.

“Because Lee Yeonhee is a successful actress and a talented artist. She also met the Korean beauty standard,” explained Yoona again.

“Yeah, her tongue is also so talented, especially in stabbing people heart,” added Sooyeon coldly.

Ahsung laughed after hearing that. “Ohh, I see. Nobody is perfect after all.”

“And why Shinhye is called as the 2nd Diana? I don’t see any resembles between her and Lady Diana,” asked Sooyoung again after that.

“Because she donates a lot.” It was Sooyeon who gave the answer this time.

Sooyoung rolled her eyes because of that explanation. “Heol~. I could be the 3rd Diana too if I donate more often then,” said Sooyoung sarcastically.

Yoona laughed again because of Sooyoung comment.

“But have you guys read the comment?  I’ve found something funny. They said Hyesung is the 2nd Meghan Markle,” said Yoona again as she laughed.

“Just stop it, Yoona-yahh. You make me want to vomit,” protested Sooyeon right away.

“Wae? I’m just sharing the funny comment,” said Yoona innocently.

“But Meghan is way better than her,” said Sooyeon again. It seemed like she hated Hyesung so much.

Yoona then just laughed.

“Then what did they write about Seohyun?” Ahsung asked another question in the end.

But they silenced. They suddenly got annoyed.

“Waity Hyunnie,” said Seohyun out sudden. Her friends must be so annoyed to answer it.

“What?” Ahsung couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“They called me Waity Hyunnie,” repeated Seohyun calmly.

Ahsung looked so sorry for her. They compared Seohyun with Kate Middleton who was also in a relationship with Prince William since college and was just waiting for the ring since then.

“Ohh come on. You’re waiting for him because you LOVE him. What’s wrong with that?” Sooyoung suddenly looked so upset and said that.

“Yeah, and I’m sure people will see what we’ve seen in you eventually. You’re way more than what they could expect from a princess,” added Yoona calmly as she grabbed Seohyun’s hands.

“True. They could be the 2nd Grace Kelly or Diana or Meghan Markle. But you’ll be just Seo Joohyun.” Ahsung gave another support for Seohyun too.

“Ne, Seo Joohyun who as kind as Queen Rania,” added Yoona excitedly.

“As smart as Crown Princess Masako,” added Ahsung after that.

“Also very charismatic like Queen Maxima.” Sooyoung joined the conversation too.

“And of course, with a cool sense of fashion like Crown Princess Mary.” Sooyeon didn’t want to be left alone too.

Seohyun suddenly wanted to cry because of that.

“Don’t forget that they were all commoners, to begin with,” added Sooyoung out of sudden.

“Yeah, with a good professional career before married too.” Ahsung agreed with Sooyoung statement.

“So, basically nothing could be doubted from you as the one who is chosen by our Prince, Seohyun-ahh. Himnae.” Yoona ended it with a cheering.

Seohyun became teary. Her friends were cheering her when she was so down inside. They praised her when she was at her lowest level of insecurity.

But she couldn’t tell them that. Just Sooyoung who knew about this matter but she kept it herself since Seohyun asked her to do so.

“Thank you,” said Seohyun as she was started sobbing.

“Aigoo~”

Yoona hugged her while the others were laughing.

She was so touched but their support but it still didn’t give her any courage to continue this journey because this was too hard for her. She had asked about the life as Royal randomly to Sooyeon too, last night after they kicked out the male dancers.

 

“Is it hard to be a Royal?”

Sooyeon looked surprised for several seconds before she patted Seohyun’s hands gently.

“I was born with this title so, I’m used to this kind of life since the first time I take a breath. But yeah, my mother said that it was really hard for her at the beginning. She thought for a divorce several times after she got married too, but she said that she loves my father too much. It might sound cliché, but love indeed gives you strength…”

 

It hit her hard. She felt so pathetic by asking that question. It was her who had a doubt to herself and yet she was searching for a reason to justify it.

She was also in a deep dilemma. She loves him so much. But her insecurity overshadowed her own love to him until she got swayed. She felt so ashamed to Yonghwa but her fear was also real. She couldn’t erase it even until that time. And Yonghwa had let her make a choice.

It hurt her when he said that he wouldn’t hold her anymore if it was too hard. She knew that he was also hurt by this decision, but he still thought about her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter