Twenty

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seohyun gulped for the umpteenth time then took a very deep breath. She was standing there, while all eyes in that meeting room were on her. She was really nervous because she was just elected as the 2nd Chairman of DEW Foundation, replacing her mother who decided to retire and chose to become board member.

And she was standing there was to give an incoming acceptance speech to all board members. It was the first time for her to give a formal speech like that. She was a good speaker and often gave a speech too during her school. But this time was different. She was there as a professional, not student.

She then cleared and took a very deep breath to calm herself, before she started saying, “May I first thank the Members for electing me as the 2nd Chairman of the DEW Foundation…” She was stammering a bit at first. But Seohyun was indeed born with a good communication skill. She could speak smoothly right after her nervousness gone. “…I’m incredible conscious of the duties and tasks ahead and the honour you've bestowed upon me…”

She never thought that she would be elected actually. She was just 25 years old and other candidates had more experiences than her. But she loved DEW and that foundation was built by her mother because of her. So, DEW basically was a part of her too. That was why she accepted this honor with a big heart in the end.

She didn’t care if people thought she was elected because of her mother. She just needed to show them and worked hard to proof them wrong.

She ended her speech with applause from board members and her mother gave her a proud smile.

Yes, I’ll try my best, Eomma…she said inwardly and she tried telling her mother implicitly through her eyes.

It was already one month since the last time she met Yonghwa. She was sick and was brought to hospital due to tiredness, not long after she had fought with Yonghwa. She felt so devastated because of that. But surprisingly, Yonghwa flew from London to Seoul to fix their problem. And she felt so touched by that.

It changed their relationship since then. They thought more realistic than before and just accepted all their conditions. Fears and insecurities were still there, but Seohyun really tried her best to be braver than before. She also prepared herself if their relationship was caught by public in the end, because she perfectly knew that it would be happened sooner or later.

She was indeed changed too. She always tried to tell everything to Yonghwa. She didn’t want them fought again like before. Their lack of communication led them to so many misunderstandings. That was why she tried her best to be honest about her feeling to Yonghwa.

And Yonghwa was still so busy with his study and his Royal duties. The pressure and sudden additional responsibilities had changed him a bit. That was why they fought so hard that night. But he tried his best to be the old Yonghwa that she had ever known again after that. He tried to understand her point of view again like he always did when they were still friends. And like what he asked Seohyun to always be honest about her feeling, he tried to always tell her everything too, every single thing. And it successfully lessen their misunderstanding in the end.

They managed their time to at least meet in Skyp*, once a day, no matter how busy they were. And they sent messages to each other more often too, even if it was just unnecessary news or random topic. And it made their communication went smoothly.

Sometimes Yonghwa gave her a simple but sweet surprise. One week after Yonghwa flew back to London, he sent her some postcards from places that were visited by him with beautiful quotes on it. It was so simple but Seohyun loved it so much. And two weeks ago, he sent her a video where he sang in it. He made a cover song of one of Seohyun’s favorite song, Three Things by Jason Mraz. And she repeated that video thousand times after that.

It made her thought that she should do something in return. But she still didn’t have idea what she would do. And his birthday was nearer.

Yes, it felt like yesterday, but it was already the second birthday for them after they were officially together. And after what he had done for her, she really should think about a simple event for his birthday.

But then her thought was suddenly distracted. She got an invitation. No, it was actually DEW that was invited. The Queen just invited some foundations and people that had been donating and volunteering outstandingly in South Korea. And DEW was one of the guest list.

She knew that DEW was included in top 10 best charitable foundations in South Korea. Thanks to her mother and her mother’s friend who worked so hard to make DEW this big. But the Queen should invite her mother or other board members to the palace, instead of her. It was true that she was the Chairman of DEW at that time, but her mother was entitled to this honor more.

“Don’t be silly, my Dear. It’s true that you were not a Chairman or one of board members until last week, but you…have done as much as I did for DEW. You think too modest of yourself. All the board members agree that you deserve this honor too.” her mother said that the moment Seohyun told her about the invitation.

Seohyun just bit her lower lip because of that. Actually, it was not her main factor to be this scared. She was just not ready to meet the Queen...directly…again.

Talking about this matter to Yonghwa was not helping much. He just chuckled when she told him about her fear.

“Yahh! It’s not the first time you meet my mother, is it? You’ve spent your afternoon in the Queen’s tea room before…” he said as he still laughed.

She regretted to talk about this to him. So, she just silenced after that.

“Don’t worry too much, Joohyun-ahh. Just be yourself, as you always did, ne?” he was cheering her up in the end.

And it was really like a magic. Yonghwa’s words were comforting her so much. All her worries suddenly disappeared. And it was last until the day for her to meet the Queen in Royal Dinner came.

Seohyun didn’t want to humiliate herself again, like the last time she did when she was invited by the Queen. She just wore very casual outfits at that time, and she felt so ashamed because of that. That was why she really needed to choose her outfits carefully this time.

She chose to wear a white fil coupé cotton silk shift dress from Burberry in the end. It was a very simple dress, and yet very beautiful. She wore optic white and light noney coarse glitter degradé pumps from Jimmy Choo. And it succeeded making her pretty legs looked more beautiful.

She was really nervous. It was the first time for her to attend this formal Royal event by herself. It was always her parents who attended this kind of event. And it seemed like all guests that night already knew each others. They talked so comfortably in some groups, left Seohyun alone in the corner of the room.

She was just a newbie. She didn’t know everyone in that room.

But then, a new guest suddenly made a dramatic appearance. Everyone in the room looked at the main door instantly. And Seohyun saw her…

…a very beautiful…Bae Suzy…

This event invited the Honor Society members too. Honor Society was for individuals who donate at least 100 million won. And Seohyun forgot to check the guest name for Honor Society. She didn’t know that Suzy would be there too.

It was the first time for Seohyun to see Suzy at close.

She is indeed…gorgeous…Seohyun admitted it inwardly. Suzy’s aura was really great. She understood now why Suzy became the very famous and top class celebrity in South Korea. And it made her felt so bitter too in the end.

…she is Yonghwa’s ex-girlfriend…

Seohyun sighed deeply, tried to get rid that negative feeling. She shouldn’t be affected by her. Suzy was the past. All she should do was just focus to the event. Besides, she already promised to herself that she would face all their conditions. And his past was included in it.

And Seohyun took a very deep breath to calm herself, before suddenly they announced that the Queen was coming.

She felt more nervous than before. The Queen entered the room gracefully, with her lady-in-waiting, Lady Choi Inkyung. As expected, the Queen looked so elegant with a red knee length dress with raglan shoulder.

And Seohyun let out her sigh when the Queen finally walked pass by her and didn’t realize her. It was Lady Choi who caught her appearance and nodded to her lightly.

After the Queen ended the opening speech, she walked around to greet all her guests. She saw how Suzy talked when the Queen greeted her. Suzy was very lovely and really a cheerful girl. She looked so calm by the Queen’s strong charisma. It seemed like it didn’t affect her at all.

The fact that she was one of Honor Society member was a proof that beside of her beautiful face, she had a very beautiful heart too. It made Seohyun more understand why Suzy was loved by most of South Korea citizens.

The Queen talked naturally with Suzy. It must be so silly, but Seohyun felt so jealous to see how Suzy could smile comfortably without nervous in front of the Queen at all. And the Queen didn’t look like she had any uneasy feelings towards her too, like she always thought all this time.

Is it true that the Queen have opposite Suzy to be with Yonghwa before?

Seohyun was too preoccupied by her own thought and didn’t realize that the Queen was already in front of her.

She startled when she saw the Queen smiled at her. She then bowed deeply to her.

“Good evening, Mama~” she greeted the Queen politely as she turned crimson, felt so ashamed because the Queen must be saw her spacing out before.

“DEW Foundation, Seo Joohyun-ssi.” she greeted her in a very elegance tone. It made Seohyun’s heart beat crazier than before.

It was true that it was not the first time for her to meet the Queen. But Seohyun still couldn’t get used to it.

“Ye~ Mama. Thank you for inviting DEW. It’s really an honor for us.” Seohyun tried to reply her calmly.

The Queen smiled at her because of that. “I heard you are the new Chairman of DEW. Congratulations, Seo Joohyun-ssi. I hope DEW could keep supporting inadequate single mothers in South Korea.” The Queen said sincerely. Seohyun didn’t know what to do and chose to bow again. “And I heard DEW is starting to support disability children too. I’m glad DEW could expand its charitable wings like this.”

Seohyun then tried to take a deep breath before said, “Ye, Mama. Thank you for your compliment. It’s all thanks to the late Chairman and all board members who make DEW grows up until this far. We will try our best to keep supporting inadequate single mothers and disability children in South Korea from now on.” Seohyun didn’t want to show her insecurity in front of the Queen. She still thought that what DEW had accomplished until this far because of her mother and all board members. But she couldn’t show it to everyone, especially to the Queen.

“Ahh, ne~ I know DEW has a very good management that could make it grows as one of biggest private foundation in South Korea. But I heard that you’ve done a lot for most of DEW’s projects too. You did well, Joohyun-ssi.” the Queen said again, as if she could feel Seohyun’s insecurities.

Seohyun couldn’t help to turn crimson again by the Queen’s last sentence. And she couldn’t reply anything because of that.

“Keep the good work, Joohyun-ssi. I’m sure DEW will grow even more under your leadership, as long as you keep DEW’s main vision in your projects.” The Queen added as she tapped Seohyun’s shoulder lightly.

It suddenly made Seohyun shivered.

“Ahh…Ye~ geomapseumnida, Mama.” Joohyun finally could find her own voice as she stammered a bit. She was so nervous by the Queen encourage words.

The Queen then left her to greet the other guests after that.

She felt so relieved, but she felt so ashamed too in the same time. She was worrying for unnecessary thing all this time. She was scared to meet the Queen when actually the Queen just saw her professionally and treated her fairly like the other guests. She was so embarassed by her own thought.

I judged myself too…high…she admitted bitterly.

Jeongshin charyeo, Seo Joohyun. You’re still nobody in her eyes…She scolded herself in the end.

But she learned one thing that day. The Queen was a great example of a woman with professionalism mindset that she had ever met. No matter how close Seohyun’s relationship with her son, the Queen would see her equally with other guests.

It’s true that you’re the Crown Prince’s girlfriend, but it doesn’t make you’re close with the Queen automatically. Besides, you just met her once before. Of course she won’t think you’re that important...

She tried to distract her silly thought by talking with other guests in the end.

They started the main event and enjoyed the dinner together after that. Seohyun finally could mingle with some of the guests too. It was so fortunate that some of them knew her mother. And she was not an outsider again in the end.

But when the time for the Queen to leave came and she bade all the guests good bye, she moved closer to Seohyun and grabbed her hand warmly.

Seohyun froze in her place because of that.

And the Queen said in professional tone, “I’m glad you keep your promise to do your best for your career and keep active in this foundation, Joohyun-ssi. I’m so proud of you. Keep the good work.”

The Queen said it in a very casual gesture, so it wouldn’t make everyone around them found it strange, except for some Honor Society members who stood near her.

The Queen then really left the room after that, with Lady Choi who nodded to her again.

God, the Queen remembers all my promises!!!

 

***

 

Yonghwa couldn’t help to smile as he read the article on his phone. The article was about the Queen interaction with his ex-girlfriend, the famous Bae Suzy. The pictures of them when they talked to each other suddenly became viral in every portal news. It was indeed a very extraordinary interaction between them, since everyone in South Korea knew that Bae Suzy was the Prince’s ex-girlfriend and the Queen opposed their relationship from the beginning. And then the pictures just show them otherwise. The speculations started growing too. They thought that the Prince and Suzy were getting back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter