Twenty-Two

Wondrous Magnolia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(It’s already more than a year since the last time I updated this story. I’m so sorry but I suggest you to reread some previous chapters or maybe you should read this story again from the beginning before you read this new chapter. Oh, and this is the first part. I wrote this chapter too long. The 2nd part will be posted soon)

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun were walking hand to hand as they enjoyed the lanterns path, which were from Buddha’s Birthday Festival last month, in Janchung Park. They were reminiscing the time that they had spent in that park while they were preparing their assignment together.

It was the first time for both of them to be there in the night. He didn’t know that Janchung Park was also beautiful at night.

He felt so happy. It seemed like the disguise was successful. He was also happy to have followed Seohyun’s silly request not to shave his thin beard since his birthday last week. It succeeded in making people not recognize him and they ignored him easily even though their eyes met.

He forgot when the last time he walked freely in public like this. He used to walk around in public together with his parents and Soojung when he was still a child. They indeed caught people and paparazzi’s attention, but they never got any problem back then.

But after his father ascended the throne, when he was in High School, they couldn’t do that so often. He actually could ask Soojung or his friends to walk around together with him, but he was afraid because it would make whoever walked with him became uncomfortable. Joon was the only one who was able to stay close with him when they were in the High School because he used to get that kind of attention since he was son of the former South Korea Prime Minister.

He did walk around freely often after he lived in London. Even though he was followed by paparazzi, he could ignore them easily as long as people around him didn’t realize it. But it was so impossible to walk around without getting recognition in Seoul. He never thought to disguise himself before too. He thought it was useless and so childish. There are a lot of celebrities who got caught in public even though they have tried disguising themselves. But after he experienced it himself, he regretted not to try it sooner because as long as they acted casually in public, and didn’t disguise excessively, people wouldn’t realize who they were.

“After hearing you sang in that video, I suddenly miss to listen you sing...live.” Seohyun broke their silence out of sudden.

“Mwo?” Yonghwa asked in a surprised tone as he chuckled. He suddenly got a bad feeling. He knew her so well. She would ask him to sing in the end.

“Can you sing that song for me?” and Seohyun asked what he was afraid of. 

Yonghwa laughed harder because of that. “Jigeum?” he asked rhetorically because Seohyun indeed asked him to sing for her at that time.

“Jebaaallll...” Seohyun asked him with aegyo.

“Yahh don’t use your aegyo, Joohyun-ahh.” Yonghwa said as he was still chuckling.

“But today is my birthday, Yooong~” but she whined in a very cute tone. She knew that Yonghwa was weak with her aegyo.

“Aigoo~...” Yonghwa was so speechless but still chuckling. “We’re still in public, Joohyun-ahh...”

But Seohyun pouted her lips in annoyance and Yonghwa chuckled again because of that. “How about humming?” he gave her another suggestion in the end. It was her birthday. He didn’t want to make her sad.

And Seohyun nodded excitedly. Yonghwa couldn’t help to laugh again because of that.

Aigoo~ how I miss her cute side so much...he said inwardly as he ruffled her bang gently.

So, he hummed Photograph by Ed Sheeran in the end as they continued enjoying their night walk.

They stopped in a food stall after that. It was so fortunate that the seller was a granny. She couldn’t recognize him and it made them feel so relieved.

Then they talked about the teobboki that Seohyun had made for him when she was sick. Joohyun still felt so ashamed if he brought that story and would refuse to talk about that any further. But for Yonghwa, it was a very meaningful memory.

“Geumanhae~ Yong~ jebaaal...” she whined for the umpteenth times, begging him to stop talking about that. And Yonghwa just chuckled again.

But then his phone suddenly rang.

“Ne, Hyung?” he answered the call from Secretary Lee.

“Could you tell me where you are, Jeoha?” Secretary Lee asked him back.

“I know that it’s just a formality question since you always can trace my whereabouts.” Yonghwa was chuckling because of that question. “Just tell me what happen, Hyung.”

Yonghwa could hear him took a deep breath then asked, “Aniyo, Jeoha. Don’t worry. But, is Mr. Ham near you?”

“Ne. He is enjoying his third fishcake.” Yonghwa said as he looked at Mr. Ham who sat right beside Joohyun.

She managed to force Mr. Ham to sit together with them and enjoyed the teobboki and fishcake in the end.

“Waeyo, Hyung?” Yonghwa asked again in the end.

“I just got a report that the paparazzi that was following Joohyun Agassi finally realized that she is disappeared and they are trying to find her. But I think it’ll take a while for them to discover your location. They won’t think that both of you are in public right now.” Secretary Lee explained the reason why he called him.

“Ohh, it’s good then.” Yonghwa felt so relieved after hearing that.

“And the paparazzi that followed you in London are so upset. They just realized that you’re not in London right now. I think they already told their team in Seoul. They will realize that you’re together with Joohyun Agassi eventually. They will try their best to find you both tonight. So, you have to be careful, Jeoha.” Secretary Lee explained further.

And Yonghwa couldn’t help to let out the sigh in the end because of that. He knew that it was inevitable in the end. He was so upset, but he couldn’t blame them too.

“Ne, Hyung. Thank you for telling me.” Yonghwa told his gratitude in the end. And they ended their conversation after that.

“Wae?” Seohyun asked in a worry tone.

Mr. Ham excused himself after that. He realized that his Prince needed to talk to Seohyun at that time.

“Gwenchana,” Yonghwa replied simply.

But Seohyun knew he was lying. She frowned then said, “Kkojimal.”

And Yonghwa chuckled again because of that. He forgot that Seohyun would always know his thought.

“It’s not something worrisome, Joohyun-ahh. Believe me.” He really didn’t want to ruin their good mood. So he chose not to make her worry.

But Seohyun still couldn’t believe him too.

“Let’s just enjoy the night, Joohyun-ahh. Ne?” Yonghwa tried to wash her worry until the end. And fortunately, Joohyun didn’t argue him again after that and continue enjoying the teobboki.

And Yonghwa thought that it was the right time for him to ask her...about his plan.

“I – change my plan.” Yonghwa started the topic by talking about his changed plan.

“Huh? What plan?” she asked back curiously.

“I won’t stay in London after I graduated.” He said before he bit the fishcake then sipped the broth.

“Jinjja? But wae?” Joohyun was so surprised hearing that.

He actually planned to live in London for two years. He would finish his master degree in one year then tried working there after graduation in one year too. He already talked about this to his parents and they supported him. They agreed that he should gain more experiences outside South Korea. And Joohyun knew about this plan too.

But he changed his plan. After he knew that paparazzi already caught them, he prepared another plan for himself.

“I’m applying SKA,” he said calmly.

“M – mwo?” Joohyun was almost choked by what she just heard.

SKA or South Korea Army is the principal land warfare force of South Korea. It was like an obligation that royal member who will ascend the throne in South Korea should be an army officer. But they should go through all official procedures like common people to join SKA. So, Yonghwa still had to apply and passed the selection first before he could start the training.

Seohyun blinked several times after hearing that.

“But you said you want to try working in London after you graduate,” she suddenly sounded so worried.

“Yeahh I used to think to try working there before I join the army. But I changed my mind, Joohyun-ahh.” He tried to say it calmly since Joohyun really looked so worried by this sudden news.

But then he realized that she was staring at him. She was trying to search the real reason in his eyes, he knew it well.

She let out the sigh after several seconds and didn’t ask any further. And he felt so relieved too because of that.

“I thought it’ll be good to gain more experience abroad, but then I think that it’ll be better if I try to practice all the knowledge that I get directly in our home country. I should serve to our country eventually. So, why don’t I start it sooner?” Yonghwa started explaining his reason.

“Abeoji said that it’ll be better if I start my army career earlier too. So when I reach 30s, I will have a stable position. Besides, become an army doesn’t mean that I can’t practice all the knowledge from college, right? And I still can continue studying even after I become an army,” he added after several seconds.

Seohyun silenced because of that. And Yonghwa prayed inwardly that she would accept this reason. He didn’t know what to do if she thought this reason was not enough for him to change his plan.

“So, your parents agree?” she then asked after several minutes. But Yonghwa couldn’t feel so relieved just because she asked him that.

“I talked to them this morning. And they support my decision.” He replied simply.

But she silenced again after that. And Yonghwa waited for her further comment.

“I don’t have a right to stop you. If your parents agree, then I’ll support you too.” She said simply.

He knew that Seohyun knew that he didn’t tell her what his full reasons were. It was not about sacrificing himself. He just prepared another plan that was not only for himself, but also for her and Royal.

But his plan would be useless, unless Seohyun agreed with his another plan.

“Then how about you?” he then started asking her.

“Ne? About me what?” she asked back, looked so confused with his weird question.

“Don’t you want to get your master degree too? In Cambridge?” Yonghwa asked carefully.

He knew that Seohyun already decided to bury her dream to continue studying abroad. She withdrew herself as an awardee when actually she got a scholarship to continue her master degree in Cambridge University. He respected her decision at first. But he wanted her to reach her dream too. He thought he should persuade her to rebuild her dream again.

Seohyun smiled gently then said, “I already told you that...”

“...you want to help your father as much as you could...yeahh I know it very well, Joohyun-ahh.” He cut her answer gently.

“Ne. I still have a lot of things to do for SAM.” She said simply.

So stubborn as always...Yonghwa said inwardly as he held his smile. He knew that it wouldn’t be easy to persuade her. Besides she became too protective over SAM lately.

“But you still can help your father while you’re studying, right?” Yonghwa added.

“Ne. But...”

“What was your goal when you apply the scholarship two years ago, Joohyun-ahh?” Yonghwa tried to lead her back into her past dream.

And as he expected, she looked surprised by his question. So he took the chance to continue, “It’s for SAM, isn’t it?”

But she didn’t say anything.

“You said that you want to help your father as much as you could. And you need more knowledge for expanding SAM...now. Just go, Joohyun-ahh...” he finally could tell her what he thought. “Go and gain everything you need outside, then come back again...for SAM.”

Seohyun was stunned again by that.

“If you go now, you still have plenty of time for SAM. I want you to do your best for your family and SAM. I want to help you reach all your dreams, Joohyun-ahh...”

She became teary right away. But then she took a deep breath and said, “Yong, I...”

“Ohh, please don’t give me another explanation, Joohyun-ahh. I know that you are so stubborn about this, but please...I just want you to think about this once again. Can you do that?” Yonghwa cut her again as he held his own laugh.

Her nostrils were widing because of that. And Yonghwa couldn’t help to chuckle again.

“Just re-consider about this, Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter